Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Went to Costco over the weekend and they had Shabu Shabu made from NY Strip steak. Just made steak and cheese with these and OMG were they great. Best steak and cheese I’ve had in ages.  Forgot to take a pic they were gone to fast. Get ya some if you have a Costco near that has it. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Went to Costco over the weekend and they had Shabu Shabu made from NY Strip steak. Just made steak and cheese with these and OMG were they great. Best steak and cheese I’ve had in ages.  Forgot to take a pic they were gone to fast. Get ya some if you have a Costco near that has it. 

Damn!

How can you not love Costco?

Last week I picked up a 19lb prime packer brisket for $2.99lb ! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, China said:

I've got a lasagne in the oven, I'll see if I can remember to take pics.

xR9Nf5K.jpg?1

nB70pfG.jpg

Edit:  Spinach in with the cheese, lots of garlic, italian sausage, etc.

Edited by China
  • Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Making my first attempt at Al Pastor tacos this evening.  First time I’ve ever diced up a pork shoulder as opposed to just trimming it up and smoking it. 

Also doing tequila lime shrimp, homemade salsa, guac and pineapple margaritas.

Just a thought.  When I do diced shoulder for tacos i braise it first then pan fry to get it crispy. Your Blackstone will do a great job crisping it up. Really helps tenderize it and keep it moist. 

Edited by The 12th Commandment
  • Like 2

I was craving lamb chops....they had them on sale, not too long after Easter, at Costco for $5.00 off per pack.  Usually I dry brine with a little kosher salt, then rub them down with a mixture of garlic, rosemary and pepper, then reverse sear them, (smoked indirect until they hit 110deg then cranked the heat to Warp 10, seared and pulled them at 125deg.  I got lazy today, and used some Trader Joe's Coffee rub on the chops.   The steak is for the Missus.

lambchopssteak.jpg

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

My daughter gave me a jar of butternut squash pasta sauce. It has some tomatoes, garlic, onion, bourbon, maple syrup, and other stuff in it. I couldn't imagine putting it on pasta and it's sat in my pantry for months. Last night I decided to make a cake using my mom's banana nut recipe. 

So instead of bananas, I used the butternut sauce in place. I added two eggs and sour cream for the milk. Added crushed walnuts and the recipe dry ingredients worked well. It turned out pretty good. I have enough left for more cakes. I'm going to freeze the butternut sauce in the amount I need.

• Like 4

Today's stuff.  Simple pancakes and eggs.  Snack stuff this afternoon.  I cut a chuck roast into "medallions", marinated in Worcestershire, garlic, Old Bay & ground pepper, just a couple minutes on the Foreman. Shrimp with sauce.  Simple new potatoes & peas on the side. 

Dessert will be a slice of fudge marble cake with Rocky Road (if I can hold it...I'm stuffed. ) 20230519_092326.thumb.jpg.cd4f886186315c9f3361e207dc641b23.jpg20230519_162833.thumb.jpg.09820390ac9b56a6968ab2c115bd3f04.jpg20230519_162924.thumb.jpg.380669d81fcb88813d06df1ced58993f.jpg20230519_202355.thumb.jpg.f04e8baf5111967a2b991dc72dce051c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I finally bought a new food thermometer rather then the old round ones. It's digital and it's pretty accurate because it's recorded the inside temp of my living room so it should work with food. It's not an expensive one, only $15 but it gets good reviews on Amazon and it's bright so I can read it.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 8:42 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

I finally bought a new food thermometer rather then the old round ones. It's digital and it's pretty accurate because it's recorded the inside temp of my living room so it should work with food. It's not an expensive one, only $15 but it gets good reviews on Amazon and it's bright so I can read it.

Good call.

Cooking to temp is paramount. 

• Like 1

I made some big dino bone beef ribs today on the smoker and it was amazing. I used Heim's brisket rub liberally on it last night and pulled it from the fridge ~1 hour before cooking

Got them from the Organic Butcher in McLean....smoked them low at 190 for 4 hours, then when it hit 170 internal and the bark was set, I wrapped it with some beef tallow that I had been smoking along with it. Put it back on the smoker for an hour at 225, then cranked it to 275 for the last 1.5 hours.

It was like the best taste of brisket, but over and over again. Would highly recommend for special occasions or if you can find the cut somewhere like Costco where it is a bit cheaper.

IMG_1889.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I made some big dino bone beef ribs today on the smoker and it was amazing. I used Heim's brisket rub liberally on it last night and pulled it from the fridge ~1 hour before cooking

Got them from the Organic Butcher in McLean....smoked them low at 190 for 4 hours, then when it hit 170 internal and the bark was set, I wrapped it with some beef tallow that I had been smoking along with it. Put it back on the smoker for an hour at 225, then cranked it to 275 for the last 1.5 hours.

It was like the best taste of brisket, but over and over again. Would highly recommend for special occasions or if you can find the cut somewhere like Costco where it is a bit cheaper.

IMG_1889.jpeg

Probably my favorite piece of bbq. 

• Like 2

Beef ribs are big in West Texas.  My favorite bbq joint, in El Paso, State Line specializes in them and they are wonderful.  They have the perfect sauce too and flawless sides.  Ever in EP, check it.  Sadly, the beef ribs at the stores here are trimmed so effectively that there is hardly any meat left.  Usually use short ribs when I smoke em at home.