Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

My Thanksgiving meal: California rolls and dipping sauce, lobster bisque (on sale), and some Dungeness crab legs. No dessert. Iced tea. 

Granddaughter is in north Texas with other grands and dad, daughter wants to rest this day (rough week at her grocery store) so we are getting together this weekend or next. Anytime we can get together is a holiday.

Side note: went to my grocery store yesterday and it was a madhouse! I'm going to make several cranberry orange breads for family and friends. Got the cranberries and flour, forgot oranges and sugar. So going tomorrow and hope like hell it's calmed down. Many maskless people so who knows how many diseases were running around.

• Like 1

Yeah, everything kinda switched around for me too...I'm doing a tuna steak on the Foreman with sauteed shrooms/onions, REDSKIN potatoes, and a Cal medley casserole with rolls.  I've been invited to several places, but I'd rather just be home with the kitties watching football.  :P

Edit, add:  Brewed a gallon of decaf tea last night, too. 

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/18/2022 at 7:08 PM, China said:

Made braised short ribs on a bed of creamy mashed potatoes.  Was gonna make polenta, but the corn meal I had was bad.

Turned out really well.  Of course I forgot to take pictures.

I gotcha. 24-hr sous vide braised short ribs. So ****ing good.

19379.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Smothered medium rare filet with mashed potatoes & gravy.  Scored the steak on sale, I'm so happy right now. :)

20230117_191929.jpg

Looks delicious! Can't wait until I get this month's SS payment. I'm getting a steak too, a nice ribeye. No steak for me since last spring and only once. 

• Thumb up 1

Went to the grocery store with my new, higher budget. Got some good stuff for the month. Lots of proteins of the meat variety. Held off on buying ribeye thin sliced steaks because the price went up the last couple of days. Most of the meat is going up in the freezer. It was nice to get a few extra treats for myself. 

Got a pork center cut roast, cut it into thirds, two in the freezer and one in the oven. Have enough for a couple of more meals. Going to put bbq sauce on one of them.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

I'm making fish tacos with coleslaw to watch the football games today. The fish fillets are defrosting in the fridge with chile powder, garlic powder, cumin, and oregano seasoning. It's my first time making these so I hope they turn out good. Also on today's menu is cheese grits and scrambled eggs. 

• Like 1

That sounds good.  I have an ultra easy recipe for tilapia filets that is decent.  I use the chunky white frozen filets from Costco and don't even thaw them.  Just put them in the oven straight from the freezer on a cast iron grill pan or skillet.  You can season them with any herb you want. I do salt, garlic powder, and ground dried thyme, and that tastes good.  Poultry seasoning blends would taste good too.  They key is adding some fat.  I like to put thin slices of butter down the length of the top of the filet, or pour olive oil on them.  Then bake for around 20 mins on 400-425.  I try pull them out around 145 to 150 degrees, but they are still fine if you overcook them.  They should stay tender, but the fat makes them crisp up on the bottom in a nice way.  Another key is finding the thick and white filets.  I don't know why they are different, but they taste a lot better than the thin, reddish tilapia you usually see.

I had to come up with this because I needed lean proteins that I could make in advance to reheat for workday lunches, that were dietary-restriction friendly, and that I could make quickly every morning at 6 AM.  I don't think you can make the process any easier than that.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

That sounds good.  I have an ultra easy recipe for tilapia filets that is decent.  I use the chunky white frozen filets from Costco and don't even thaw them.  Just put them in the oven straight from the freezer on a cast iron grill pan or skillet.  You can season them with any herb you want. I do salt, garlic powder, and ground dried thyme, and that tastes good.  Poultry seasoning blends would taste good too.  They key is adding some fat.  I like to put thin slices of butter down the length of the top of the filet, or pour olive oil on them.  Then bake for around 20 mins on 400-425.  I try pull them out around 145 to 150 degrees, but they are still fine if you overcook them.  They should stay tender, but the fat makes them crisp up on the bottom in a nice way.  Another key is finding the thick and white filets.  I don't know why they are different, but they taste a lot better than the thin, reddish tilapia you usually see.

I had to come up with this because I needed lean proteins that I could make in advance to reheat for workday lunches, that were dietary-restriction friendly, and that I could make quickly every morning at 6 AM.  I don't think you can make the process any easier than that.

Thanks for these tips! Especially about using some fat. I'm using pollock fillets.

• Like 2