Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I don't use my foodsaver enough, but that's changing. Especially with the garden in full swing. I puree tomatoes and freeze them in quart backs for future spaghetti sauce.  Using the foodsaver saves space in the freezer as well. I tend to bulk buy when things go on sale so that's a help.  As for the sous vide, great. Another cooking appliance I may crowd the kitchen with. ;) 

Recently did a 10 hour smoked brisket. Turned out pretty good this time out. Still a bit of fine tuning to do, but still pretty good.  2nd pic is the under construction, still arranging, poor man's outdoor kitchen on the recently poured walkmaker paver mold outdoor living space surface.  

20220820_181826.jpg

20220904_132142.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

Any Blackstone griddle enthusiasts here? Thinking about getting a 28” model with hood but it seems like each store that carries them has a different variety (Pro, Culinary, XL, etc.), some with lesser quality and poorer reviews than others.  Any advice as to which model is the best?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tshile said:

@Skinsfan1311

i got a 5 lbs butt frozen how do you suggest I get it ready for smoking

also - in general to anyone since @PleaseBlitzbrought it up - I was to get something to sous vide

any suggestions or anything I should know when looking for a setup?

Thaw it.

Dry brine it with kosher salt,(1/2 tsp per lb of meat), the night before. I trim most of the outside fat, because rubs and salt don't penetrate fat, all the moisture is from the internal marbling anyway.

Fire up the smoker, and shoot for any temp between 240°-275°.

Apply your favorite rub*,(I make my own...Google "Meatheads Memphis Dust), and toss it on the smoker.

If you have a remote leave in thermometer,  check to see if it's "probe tender" at ~195°  If it is, wrap it in foil and let it rest for at least 30 minutes,  but an hour is better. It will be plenty safe to eat, as long as the internal temp is greater than 140°

Some wrap, when the meat stalls, (usually at a temp somewhere between 160°-170°).  I don't,  but as long as the bark has set, go ahead. It may speed up the cook.

*I dry brine, a lot, so most of the rubs that I make are salt-free. If your rubs have salt, be cognizant of that and don't use as much.

I don't know much about particular models of sous vide machines. I bought a Chefman brand, that went on sale,  years ago. Everyone on my cooking boards rave about the Anova brand.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Same for me. *Some* moisture is ok but it cant really do liquids or chili, etc. 

Sure it can. We do it all the time.

Cut a bag, fill it with chili, pasta sauce, whatever.

Stick it in the freezer, overnight, and seal it the next day.  The overnight freeze forms a few ice crystals,  but not damaging freezer burn. Wipe the inside, and outside,  of the bag where it seals with a paper towel, so it's dry then seal it.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thaw it.

Yeah that’s the part I need help with (not that I won’t follow the rest of what you posted :) )

how long do you think that’ll take to thaw and what method? I feel like if I throw it in the fridge it’ll take 4 weeks to actually thaw…

Always safest to thaw meat/seafood in the fridge. 

"If pork shoulder is thawed in the refrigerator, it takes about 24 hours for every five pounds of meat. If you use the cold water method, the pork should thaw at a rate of about 30 minutes per pound. In this case, the meat should be cooked off as soon as possible."

https://bbqhost.com/defrosting-pork-shoulder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Yeah that’s the part I need help with (not that I won’t follow the rest of what you posted :) )

how long do you think that’ll take to thaw and what method? I feel like if I throw it in the fridge it’ll take 4 weeks to actually thaw…

😅

@EmirOfShmo nailed it.

Thawing meat, seafood, poultry in the fridge is the safest method.  I've used the cold water in the sink method for turkey, so I'm sure that it would work for pork too. 

Note that, for whatever reason, A 5 lb roast, regardless of the type of protein,  takes longer than 24 hours in our fridge.  It usually takes at least a couple days.  Like almost anything with BBQ,  patience is key.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

31 minutes ago, tshile said:

So my insta pot will do sous vide as well as replace our worn out rice cooker. 

Not super stoked I wanted one of those Zojirush cookers but they’re expensive so gonna give he insta pot a run and see how it works out 

Does the insta pot circulate water? 

If not, then it's not a true sous-vide.  Without circulation, the temp of the water may not be consistent and the size of the insta pot would limit what you can cook

It may do a decent job but, (and I state this based on have never used an instant-pot...so take it for what it's worth 😉).

If you're going to get into sous-vide, I  suggest a traditional, immersion-style circulator.

• Thanks 1

All day. Planning on having steak and salmon.  1 hour ago, smoke from the #mosquitofire West of Tahoe pours in. AQI 255 So, steaks and a side on the grill with sprinting between outside and inside to avoid being out there too long. Going to have steaks damnit. ;) 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Sorry, @The 12th Commandment, I didn't mean to laugh so I changed it...that's a damn fine meal right there.  Makes me embarrassed to post what I've been doing this week! 

There's a burger under there, btw.

20220926_192240.thumb.jpg.a52c2983a9a7d68f5b39624f7813e653.jpg20220926_194224.thumb.jpg.4df350b9b65959e8ad0bc32e390218e6.jpg

All good, I'd assumed that or that I spelled something wrong lol.  Nothing wrong with a good burger, looks yummy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Looks yummy. I'm going to make some French onion soup using real beef to give it more nutritional value. I have a boatload of onions. I plan on freezing a bunch. I'd use gruyere cheese but I have some Swiss I need to use plus some older baguette. 

I wish we could've cooked a meal together instead of the Popeye's when we met up!  :ols:

• Thumb up 1