Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

14 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

6.5lb butt rubbed down with Meat Church - Holy Gospel is on.  This time I’m just rolling at 250 straight to 202, no wraps, no spritz, nothing—-we’ll see what happens.

I did a butt tonight as well...and hit the stall from hell. I finally had to set it to rest at 195 so we didn't end up eating at 8. It still shredded easily though and turned out well. Used Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust and oak chunks.

• Like 3

So I did a pork but for pulled pork again.

I have started to fall in love with brining big chunks of meat before I smoke them.  I brined the Butt for 12 hours in a salt, sugar, apple cider, apple cider vinegar bath.  I find it makes the meat even more moist and tender, just takes it to the next level. 

Then I slathered it in yellow mustard and rubbed it with a garlic/coffee rub I love from Trader Joe’s. I might experiment with making my own rub someday, but this one is so good, I haven’t bothered.  

Smoked with hickory chips for 12 hours.  Rested for 45 min.  Got it to 202. Slightly higher temp, I let it run at 250.  I was a little worried about the slightly higher temp, but it worked great.  

I used a tip that @Skinsfan1311 posted in June: I was having people over for lunch, so I did all this a day before.  I pulled the pork and put it in Sous Vide bags, and then let them simmer for about an hour before lunch.  Nobody could tell it was re-heated.  It was amazing.  (So thanks for the tip! I think you used just food storage bags, but I have a vacuum sealer handy so I just used it…)

It was the best I’ve done so far.  As moist as possible, very flavorful, so tender that I tapped the bone and it fell out.  It was a huge hit. 

getting ready for the smoker:

275F5312-D318-4F7A-A269-B1BAE26B93A1.thumb.jpeg.f3b9e2639d49cca930bb54dcf0c94a22.jpeg

Out of the smoker.  Best bark I’ve gotten:

94902878-408E-4364-80C5-A47226AB5CEA.thumb.jpeg.35c816445c233db48be3b0f74ca51ff2.jpeg

Pile of meat:

D328AA3F-DAFF-481B-BBC6-4C8A60662AA7.thumb.jpeg.d484a5f988469cf6893f38536d96d062.jpeg

Into the vacuum seal bags

C1AF76B9-944E-4BDA-BE22-3C6F82021C96.thumb.jpeg.07e5eb695f1dc7cfbaa8bcb99e0c40be.jpeg

And being devoured. 

85F52A8B-FE1E-4C97-9D9C-07E563B164CB.thumb.jpeg.17d5b2deb9138dad2016de457721d471.jpeg

There was just enough left for a leftover dinner for 2.  Which was also yummy then next day. 

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So I did a pork but for pulled pork again.

I have started to fall in love with brining big chunks of meat before I smoke them.  I brined the Butt for 12 hours in a salt, sugar, apple cider, apple cider vinegar bath.  I find it makes the meat even more moist and tender, just takes it to the next level. 

Then I slathered it in yellow mustard and rubbed it with a garlic/coffee rub I love from Trader Joe’s. I might experiment with making my own rub someday, but this one is so good, I haven’t bothered.  

Smoked with hickory chips for 12 hours.  Rested for 45 min.  Got it to 202. Slightly higher temp, I let it run at 250.  I was a little worried about the slightly higher temp, but it worked great.  

I used a tip that @Skinsfan1311 posted in June: I was having people over for lunch, so I did all this a day before.  I pulled the pork and put it in Sous Vide bags, and then let them simmer for about an hour before lunch.  Nobody could tell it was re-heated.  It was amazing.  (So thanks for the tip! I think you used just food storage bags, but I have a vacuum sealer handy so I just used it…)

It looks amazing!

I'm glad that it worked out.  🍻

Pulled pork freezes very well too.

If there's any left over, I vacuum seal and freeze it in meal-sized portions.

Thaw it overnight and reheat in the sous-vide for an hour or so.

I read that you can also sous-vide from frozen, just increase the simmer time.  I've never done that, but I'm sure that it works.

It works for pulled chuck roast and sliced brisket too.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

It looks amazing!

I'm glad that it worked out.  🍻

Pulled pork freezes very well too.

If there's any left over, I vacuum seal and freeze it in meal-sized portions.

Thaw it overnight and reheat in the sous-vide for an hour or so.

I read that you can also sous-vide from frozen, just increase the simmer time.  I've never done that, but I'm sure that it works.

It works for pulled chuck roast and sliced brisket too.  

I've vacuum sealed and frozen it before. Interestingly, I never thought of just heating it in the vacuum sealed bag, which was silly.  Next time.  We had nowhere near enough leftovers this time, though.  We had barely enough for me to have leftovers the next day. 

Question: Do you use a mop or a spritz or anything?  I didn't and haven't.  I've heard that it helps keep things moist, but I've never bothered.  I just do the brine, mustard rub and a dry rub, then let it go without opening the smoker until it reaches temp.  I've also heard of folks injecting their pork butts, and I've never done that either.  Seems like a lot of effort, but maybe I'm missing out...

I think I'm going to do a brisket when we get back from vacation.  I have only done brisket once or twice.  It was good.  But they are more expensive.  I was able to feed 15 people off of my $22 pork butt.  Can't beat that with a stick.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I've vacuum sealed and frozen it before. Interestingly, I never thought of just heating it in the vacuum sealed bag, which was silly.  Next time.  We had nowhere near enough leftovers this time, though.  We had barely enough for me to have leftovers the next day. 

Question: Do you use a mop or a spritz or anything?  I didn't and haven't.  I've heard that it helps keep things moist, but I've never bothered.  I just do the brine, mustard rub and a dry rub, then let it go without opening the smoker until it reaches temp.  I've also heard of folks injecting their pork butts, and I've never done that either.  Seems like a lot of effort, but maybe I'm missing out...

I think I'm going to do a brisket when we get back from vacation.  I have only done brisket once or twice.  It was good.  But they are more expensive.  I was able to feed 15 people off of my $22 pork butt.  Can't beat that with a stick.  

Yeah...those vacuum seal bags are perfect, and safe, to simmer and/or boil food in.

I don't spritz.  Never have and, (probably), never will.  As far as I'm concerned, it prolongs cooking time and isn't great for bark formation.   

Injecting pork butts is a waste of time, IMHO.  There's plenty of fat, connective tissue, etc. in those cuts.

I do, however, inject brisket.  Nothing fancy...just use beef broth, (I like the Better Than Bouillon brand...it's handy to keep a jar in the fridge).  I haven't used liquid brines in years.  I just dry-brine with kosher salt, with pretty much every cut of meat that hits the grill, or smoker.   If you go this route, avoid rubs with salt.  I, almost, exclusively make my own rubs and they're all salt free.    The few store-bought rubs that I use all contain salt, so I don't brine anything if I use them. 

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

I don't simmer everything I vac-seal, but it works out really well for the Pappadeaux stuff I get...it's already cooked, so I let it get to room temp, then seal and freeze.  I can put it in a slow simmer to heat it up, and it's ready with no pans to clean...Just cut the bags, arrange on the plate, and you're set, 15 minutes tops. 

I'm currently baking a potato in the toaster oven to keep from heating the whole house just to spend money to cool it.  It worked out well twice before. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yeah...those vacuum seal bags are perfect, and safe, to simmer and/or boil food in.

I don't spritz.  Never have and, (probably), never will.  As far as I'm concerned, it prolongs cooking time and isn't great for bark formation.   

Injecting pork butts is a waste of time, IMHO.  There's plenty of fat, connective tissue, etc. in those cuts.

Yeah, ok, so confirms my thoughts.  

14 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I do, however, inject brisket.  Nothing fancy...just use beef broth, (I like the Better Than Bouillon brand...it's handy to keep a jar in the fridge).  I haven't used liquid brines in years.  I just dry-brine with kosher salt, with pretty much every cut of meat that hits the grill, or smoker.   If you go this route, avoid rubs with salt.  I, almost, exclusively make my own rubs and they're all salt free.    The few store-bought rubs that I use all contain salt, so I don't brine anything if I use them. 

Good note on the brisket, I will remember that.

I don't know why, but I just like the liquid brine.  And the rub I use does have some salt, but since it's a liquid brine, I think it's ok.  

I'm probably going to start experimenting with making my own rubs.  Next year.  I just really like the coffee/garlic one that I found.  It's so good.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Sous viding an entire beef tenderloin. Cumin and cracked black pepper rub. 

Does the FoodSaver you have work well with foods with moisture? The one I have doesn't. If a bit a moisture gets on or near where it seals it won't seal. Or, worse, it will suck all of the moisture out of the bag creating a huge mess. I have to watch while it vacuums out the air & then press the seal button - hopefully at the right moment. It's a real pain in the ass whenever I try to seal soup/stew/chili. 

12 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Does the FoodSaver you have work well with foods with moisture? The one I have doesn't. If a bit a moisture gets on or near where it seals it won't seal. Or, worse, it will suck all of the moisture out of the bag creating a huge mess. I have to watch while it vacuums out the air & then press the seal button - hopefully at the right moment. It's a real pain in the ass whenever I try to seal soup/stew/chili. 

Same for me. *Some* moisture is ok but it cant really do liquids or chili, etc. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

We watched the DVD that came with the FoodSaver...freeze stuff overnight in a plastic container, just don't let frost develop.  Then you can put it in the bag (I know, cutting to the right size can be sketchy) and vacuum seal it easier. 

Keep the rubber gasket clean, too.  Every so often I give it a wipe with olive oil on a paper towel to keep it from drying out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Like PleaseBlitz, I pre-freeze soups and chili in a plastic container then transfer them to the appropriate bag.. I buy pre-cut bags, pint and quart size. I freeze pork chops, chicken and individual servings in the pint bags and larger meats and bigger helpings in the quart bags.

I've been using my FoodSaver for about a decade or so. It's the handiest food handling system I know.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Yea, Ive been using the foodsaver for 12 years. Was a cost and time saving measure during law school, we’d go to Costco, get big cheap cuts of beef and salmon, and break them down ourselves and use the foodsaver to keep everything for a few months, pre-portioned.  Its also ideal for sous vide since it sucks all the air out so the food won’t float. I love the thing. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 3