Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I treat burgers the same as meatloaf. my go to burger has always been: ground beef (pick your fat %), some (don't measure) Italian bread crumbs (to soak up the juice), some (your discretion) Old Bay seasoning. Mix & form the patties to a little bigger size of the bun, dimple in the middle of both sides. Grill - never pressing down on the burger - flip once or twice. Cook to your temp of choice. 

I've never (well, maybe) cooked plain ground beef as a burger on the grill. 99% of the time it's the above recipe - maybe other seasonings instead of Old Bay but always with Italian bread crumps. Kind of like smoking a meatloaf with the seasonings of choice. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I treat burgers the same as meatloaf. my go to burger has always been: ground beef (pick your fat %), some (don't measure) Italian bread crumbs (to soak up the juice), some (your discretion) Old Bay seasoning. Mix & form the patties to a little bigger size of the bun, dimple in the middle of both sides. Grill - never pressing down on the burger - flip once or twice. Cook to your temp of choice. 

I've never (well, maybe) cooked plain ground beef as a burger on the grill. 99% of the time it's the above recipe - maybe other seasonings instead of Old Bay but always with Italian bread crumps. Kind of like smoking a meatloaf with the seasonings of choice. 

We did meatloaf like this, but I use garlic croutons.  He told me his mom would dig a tunnel and put the cheddar in, then cover it up...it works, but takes a few more croutons to soak up the excess "oil" from the cheese (knowing which cheeses are oily helped...some are stiff, so there's that).  I took the liberty once of broiling it for about a minute or two, which gave it a good crunch on top without killing the middle and making a mess.  It became the go-to recipe. 

Another thing...the more you "work" the meat, the tougher it will become.  Get it to room temp, it helps meat cook more evenly.

I'm not a mango fan, but with pineapple and spicy, I could be convinced....

• Like 3

Used the crock pot for the first time, cooked a chuck roast (I think). I used cream of mushroom soup, I'd rather have more of a soy sauce or teriyaki base to it. Can anyone recommend anything? Can I use actual soy sauce or some type of marinade. I'm pretty green at this.

4 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Used the crock pot for the first time, cooked a chuck roast (I think). I used cream of mushroom soup, I'd rather have more of a soy sauce or teriyaki base to it. Can anyone recommend anything? Can I use actual soy sauce or some type of marinade. I'm pretty green at this.

I go 2 ways. 

One is the more traditional pot roast: mirepoix of veggies (Onion/Celery/Carrot), deglaze with red wine then add beef/chicken stock or water and whatever herbs you like, usually garlic too. 

Other is I rummage through the fridge and throw in anything and everything: Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, Oyster Sauce, BBQ, Worcestershire, threw in some Cola, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Hot smoked sausage with onions and cheddar on pita with a baked potato. 

20220604_205039.jpg

That was last night.  Used the rest of the sausage for breakfast dinner tonight with ssu eggs and pancakes. 

Love it!

The food looks amazing and you don't waste anything.

Mrs. Skinsfan and I do the same.

• Like 3

Ima be honest…..

I think I cook some amazing food. But some of you I really really want to try your cooking. Man oh man. 

I hate coming in here this time of day lol. 

im trying to be better y’all are just destroying my willpower 

• Haha 5

On 6/2/2022 at 10:55 AM, Mooka said:

I go 2 ways. 

One is the more traditional pot roast: mirepoix of veggies (Onion/Celery/Carrot), deglaze with red wine then add beef/chicken stock or water and whatever herbs you like, usually garlic too. 

Other is I rummage through the fridge and throw in anything and everything: Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, Oyster Sauce, BBQ, Worcestershire, threw in some Cola, etc. 

Soy sauce is life, it WILL be going into the crock pot at some point.

• Like 1

I'm going to make some coleslaw tomorrow. I'm going to use a regular cabbage, green apple, carrots, a little mayo with cream, apple cider vinegar, and some maple syrup for the dressing. I'm also going to make some macaroni salad with green olives, onion, hard boiled egg, and mayo.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'm going to make some coleslaw tomorrow. I'm going to use a regular cabbage, green apple, carrots, a little mayo with cream, apple cider vinegar, and some maple syrup for the dressing. I'm also going to make some macaroni salad with green olives, onion, hard boiled egg, and mayo.

I love coleslaw - with mayo or without (sesame oil, fish sauce, vinegar, spices). Very healthy either way. And mac salad is a must for the summer. Toss all those veggies getting close to wilting in it. Grilled corn in mac salad is a must...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I love coleslaw - with mayo or without (sesame oil, fish sauce, vinegar, spices). Very healthy either way. And mac salad is a must for the summer. Toss all those veggies getting close to wilting in it. Grilled corn in mac salad is a must...

I haven't tried grilled corn in macaroni salad yet, sounds good! Celery is a must. My mom used to put celery seeds in potato salad, not something I add, I used chopped celery.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2

I made the coleslaw yesterday, it turned out perfect! It's the first time I've made it and without a recipe. The dressing was the right consistency and the apple cider vinegar was perfect for the acid balance. The salt in the mayo was just right, and the maple syrup was the right note for sweetner. I used the cabbage, grated carrot, and sliced apple. The vinegar kept the apple from turning brown. 

I'm going to get macaroni and olives today for macaroni salad.

• Like 5

Smoking 3 9 pounders for my wife’s birthday party tomorrow.  I think I’m just going to raw dog them and let ‘em cook until 200, no spritz, no wrap, no nothing.

This will be my first time doing them a day in advance but I have no choice as the party is at 3 tomorrow and we have other things to do before hand.

From all I’ve read, it sounds like I can take them off the smoker, rest for an hour, pull them and reheat tomorrow in the smoker or oven at 225 until they come back to life.

66042EF7-F68A-413E-B1C5-8C60812F0B6D.jpeg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Smoking 3 9 pounders for my wife’s birthday party tomorrow.  I think I’m just going to raw dog them and let ‘em cook until 200, no spritz, no wrap, no nothing.

This will be my first time doing them a day in advance but I have no choice as the party is at 3 tomorrow and we have other things to do before hand.

From all I’ve read, it sounds like I can take them off the smoker, rest for an hour, pull them and reheat tomorrow in the smoker or oven at 225 until they come back to life.

66042EF7-F68A-413E-B1C5-8C60812F0B6D.jpeg

When you say pull them you don’t mean shred the pork in advance and then reheat tomorrow do you? If so I have done that, and I was not satisfied with the result. I had much better success letting them rest wrapped and in the cooler for 8-10 hours and then reheating them the next day to shred before the event.

Lots of people are uncomfortable with letting meat sit that long. But wrapped and in the cooler they stayed HOT the entire time so I felt safe and no one (that I know of) got sick from it. 

But I mean…..it’s pulled pork. It’s going horribly wrong still ends up delicious at the end of the day. 

Also raw dogging them (fat toward the heat source) with no spritz or wrap during the cook is absolutely my favorite way to smoke them. On my Kamado the fat gets so crispy and perfect. You chop that **** and mix it in with the pulled pork in the end for a nice crunch. Mmmmm

See this is exactly what I mean. Damnit 

Edited by Llevron

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

When you say pull them you don’t mean shred the pork in advance and then reheat tomorrow do you? If so I have done that, and I was not satisfied with the result. I had much better success letting them rest wrapped and in the cooler for 8-10 hours and then reheating them the next day to shred before the ever. 

That is what I meant actually.  I’ve seen a variety of opinions on it, like all things barbecue.  I’m not necessarily afraid of holding them - but I’m looking at pulling these off some time between 6-7 this evening.  Party starts at 3 tomorrow which leaves a pretty large gap in time.

What was the result when you pulled the night before?

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That is what I meant actually.  I’ve seen verging opinions on it, like all things barbecue.  I’m not necessarily afraid of holding them - but I’m looking at pulling these off some time between 6-7 this evening.  Party starts at 3 tomorrow which leaves a pretty large gap in time.

What was the result when you pulled the night before?

Being fully upfront everyone else still loved it. But you know how you are about the food you cook. Sometimes it just doesn’t …. meat….your standards……🥴

But serious answer now. I reheated two different ways since this was my chance to experiment with two butts cooked the at same time. We did not have a working oven at the time so that could have been an option. The one I shredded the day before, I kept in a pan with all the fat and juices. I put the entire pan back on the grill and let it warm for about an hour. I think felt like it over cooked the meat in just that short time. It was a little too soft? Over saturated with the fat is maybe a better way to say it. Basically it sat in its juices and boiled. Which in itself isn’t an issue, but resting after that just doesn’t seems to work the same. The juices never really reabsorbed into the meat and I could feel that on the bite and in the flavor. I lost that crisp I love. Totally destroyed the crust just like you would think. However, slap some bbq on it and it didn’t make a bit of difference to anyone else.

Still good. But not what I wanted. Party loved it though. So I don’t really think you can go wrong. That is a large gap of time to have them sit. Most I have done is about 10. 

What bbq forums do you haunt? I promise I won’t embarrass you if you tell me 😈

Edited by Llevron