Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

14 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Pretty much like you said, it was actually very good - but obviously I was stuck on just how good it was right after I pulled it.  I did add some apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and a little more rub before reheating.  Everyone raved about it, took to-go containers, and we've been eating it to the extent I made pulled pork tacquitos for lunch.  I think next time I'll be putting it on like 10-11 at night and letting it smoke all night long through the day so I can pull just before serving.  It was close to 16 hours for 3 9lb pork butts.

My next cook will be smoked birria tacos.  I'm all porked out.

Glad it worked out!

I've found that you can reduce cook time, by smoking smaller roasts.   

My experience is that 4lbs is perfect, but I'll go up to 5 lbs max.   If I can't find a smaller roast, I'll look for 8-10lb butts, and get the butcher to cut them in half.  They smoke faster and you get twice the delicious bark.😉

• Like 1

First day I have grilled in over 6 months.  We have been heavy on the Instant Pot and Air Fryer.  Cleaned out the Weber 3 burner... got some chicken and potatoes on.  

I forgot how much I enjoyed grilling!

We are doing Asada and Chicken tacos for Father's Day. 

• Like 5

Ribs on for Father’s Day. Pop and I are gonna share a (few) racks lol. 

3-2-1 method cause the wife likes them falling off. I’ll take pics if they look nice otherwise ima just eat them. 

I legit won an award for these ribs once. Wife won’t let me change the recipe I really wanna try something else eventually though. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

Ribs on for Father’s Day. Pop and I are gonna share a (few) racks lol. 

3-2-1 method cause the wife likes them falling off. I’ll take pics if they look nice otherwise ima just eat them. 

I legit won an award for these ribs once. Wife won’t let me change the recipe I really wanna try something else eventually though. 

Nice!

I'm not a big fan of 3-2-1 ribs either, I prefer a little tug on mine but, that's the way I make 'em because that's what Mrs. Skinsfan likes.....

• Haha 1

I'M OUT OF WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE!!!  :taz:   This half-pound burger isn't gonna have the usual "oomph".

This is tragic.  I'm out of a lot of stuff...my only meat left in the freezer is a big fat tuna steak.   (I call it "meat sale shopping", go around to all the grocery stores, get it on sale, and put the food saver to work.) 

Sauteing the red onions and shrooms.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Nice!

I'm not a big fan of 3-2-1 ribs either, I prefer a little tug on mine but, that's the way I make 'em because that's what Mrs. Skinsfan likes.....

I love 3-2-1 ribs that fall off the bone if you give them a good scowl.  

If you want a bit of a tug, eat beef jerky.  :P  

• Haha 1

Simple Carne Asada marinade:

Used 5 lbs of Costco "carne asada" beef (unseasoned cut)

2 parts Orange Juice

2/3 parts worchestershire sauce

1/3 part soy sauce

Garlic Salt 

Pepper

Onion powder

Simple Pollo Street taco rub: 

Used 2 bags of costco chicken breast (maybe 2-3 (lbs?)

2 parts chili powder

1 part paprika

1 part cumin

1 part oregano

1/2 part garlic powder

Salt and pepper to taste

maybe 2 tablespoon olive oil

fed 10 with ample leftovers... 

Free tip - you would be surprised how a simple 2 parts paprika, 1.5 part oregano, 1 part salt. 1/2 part pepper rub  makes a tasty rub for bbq chicken... I used to wet brine with brown sugar and salt for a good taste and prevent dryness... of course this was pre owning a gas Weber.  

• Like 3

I’m about to attempt baby back ribs for the first time on the pellet smoker.  They were BOGO at the grocery store this morning.  I’ve seen varying opinions here as with everywhere else about the best ways to do them.

My wife falls in line with some of your spouses as well, wanting them to “fall off the bone”.

Looking around, it seems 3-2-1 would be the best method to achieve that.

Any tips from the congregation?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m about to attempt baby back ribs for the first time on the pellet smoker.  They were BOGO at the grocery store this morning.  I’ve seen varying opinions here as with everywhere else about the best ways to do them.

My wife falls in line with some of your spouses as well, wanting them to “fall off the bone”.

Looking around, it seems 3-2-1 would be the best method to achieve that.

Any tips from the congregation?

Yes.

3-2-1 is too long for baby backs.

Go with 2-2-1.

2 hours of smoke between 225-250

2 hours wrapped in foil.

1 hour unwrapped to firm them up.

Peel silver skin.

Dry brine with salt the night before, if you have time.

Fire up the smoker, apply your favorite rub and smoke for 2 hours.

Before they come off, I take a large piece of foil, sprinkle a little brown sugar on the foil, a few pats of butter,  and a little more rub, and maybe a small smear of pepper jelly and bacon fat.   Place the ribs meat side down on the foil, wrap it tightly, (I double wrap), and put the covered ribs, bone side down, for 2 more hours.

After 2 hours carefully*,  (because of  the escaping steam and they will be practically falling apart at this point), remove the rack and smoke them, (bone side down), for another hour. If you like sauced ribs, then brush a very thin layer on them before putting them back on the smoker.

*I poke a hole in the foil and drain the juices into a glass cup measure first. The ribs will be falling apart, so be careful,  or you'll have a mess on your hands. If you have a good pair of silicon BBQ mitts, this is the time to use them.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^^Dude, that looks ****in' amazing, absolutely perfect.  I love crispy outside, and you did that just right. 

And @Bang tweeted that his wife is making peach salsa tomorrow...I've had some great stuff of that kind being here in GA, please let me know how it turns out!

• Like 2