Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I’ve had a hand me down traeger for quite some time and it’s been time to put her out to the pasture.

I know BBQ enthusiasts frown upon the ease of a pellet smoker but for my life, it’s ideal.  I’ve produced some really good food with good pellets.

I had a $200 Sams Club gift card burning a hole in the wallet and I’ve been eyeing this thing for a while.  They’ve apparently upped their game on the Members Mark grills.  Traeger version of this is about $800, got this for $499.  I already have a Genesis gasser, Blackstone, small Weber charcoal grill - how I talked the wife into adding another piece of equipment to the deck is beyond me.  I just didn’t want to break the bank considering I use so many other grills.  This will be exclusively for slow cooks, not interested in using it as a high heat grill.

Breaking her in with an old trusty pork shoulder but look forward to trying ribs of which I’ve never done before.  Tips appreciated!

Edit:  @Skinsfan1311 I’m interested in the hot and fast brisket that comes out looking like that.

5137DACF-C480-49E4-86FA-A193A825DAD8.jpeg

12EBEE8A-4AAA-464F-939B-995075B2CA80.jpeg

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 10
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve had a hand me down traeger for quite some time and it’s been time to put her out to the pasture.

I know BBQ enthusiasts frown upon the ease of a pellet smoker but for my life, it’s ideal.  I’ve produced some really good food with good pellets.

I had a $200 Sams Club gift card burning a hole in the wallet and I’ve been eyeing this thing for a while.  They’ve apparently upped their game on the Members Mark grills.  Traeger version of this is about $800, got this for $499.  I already have a Genesis gasser, Blackstone, small Weber charcoal grill - how I talked the wife into adding another piece of equipment to the deck is beyond me.  I just didn’t want to break the bank considering I use so many other grills.  This will be exclusively for slow cooks, not interested in using it as a high heat grill.

Breaking her in with an old trusty pork shoulder but look forward to trying ribs of which I’ve never done before.  Tips appreciated!

Edit:  @Skinsfan1311 I’m interested in the hot and fast brisket that comes out looking like that.

5137DACF-C480-49E4-86FA-A193A825DAD8.jpeg

12EBEE8A-4AAA-464F-939B-995075B2CA80.jpeg

There's nothing wrong with a pellet grill. They are great tools and this BBQ enthusiast doesn't look down on "pellet poopers" 😁

Ribs are easy. I suggest visiting Meatheads Amazing Ribs site, the recipes and tips on smoking ribs. That's my "go-to" site for BBQ.

• Like 1

This thing went on at 7am @ 225, spritzed with apple juice/cider vinegar every 45 mins, wrapped in butcher paper at 165.  It’s hanging strong at 190.  8.5 lbs, 10.5 hours in and stiiiiilllllll waiting to hit 200.

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

There's nothing wrong with a pellet grill. They are great tools and this BBQ enthusiast doesn't look down on "pellet poopers" 😁

Ribs are easy. I suggest visiting Meatheads Amazing Ribs site, the recipes and tips on smoking ribs. That's my "go-to" site for BBQ.

How about the hot-n-fast brisket?  I’m intrigued.

59 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, everyone is posting their cookouts on social media and the amount of foil I’ve seen directly over grill grates is astounding.

What exactly is the purpose?

I assume to reduce clean up/grease fires, but why not just use a pan?

These people must be die-hard Kirk Cousins followers :rofl89:

Does anyone have a better way to may a burger patty? I use my hands, roll up a ball and then flatten out but when the burgers are cooked they are half the size. I know they are gong to shrink but can't get them to stay bigger. I even put a dent in the middle but that is of no help. Should I get a burger patty maker from Amazon so the patty is more round and maybe fatter? Will this make it so that the burger doesn't shrink as much?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P5C74JM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B08P5C74JM&pd_rd_w=dBA0I&content-id=amzn1.sym.24b0b161-2d2e-40f8-8233-013eb186b34a&pf_rd_p=24b0b161-2d2e-40f8-8233-013eb186b34a&pf_rd_r=FPDBHSQD5Q3CD96W3DWH&pd_rd_wg=H2HIx&pd_rd_r=a6806d6c-8079-4f37-8aa4-06b546b01920&s=lawn-garden&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExREtQVFIyNjlSNllQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzIzODE4MU9ONVlFRDFTNDlQVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzg2ODAwMUpWMzVPVTY3RE9EJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

14 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This thing went on at 7am @ 225, spritzed with apple juice/cider vinegar every 45 mins, wrapped in butcher paper at 165.  It’s hanging strong at 190.  8.5 lbs, 10.5 hours in and stiiiiilllllll waiting to hit 200.

How about the hot-n-fast brisket?  I’m intrigued.

The pork looks wonderful!

Not sure how,(or who), determined that 225 is the # to shoot for, but it's too low for most cooks. People, (me including),used to be obsessed with it.

Butts are a very forgiving cut, and can be cooked anywhere between °240-275 degrees.  The average temp when me, and my buddies,  smoke them is 250°, measured at the grate.  

I read, (but haven't confirmed for myself), that spritzing doesn't do anything but extend cook times, because it cools the meat and heat is lost every time you open the lid. I agree with the old Weber adage, "If you're lookin', you ain't cookin' "

I've also found that cooks go faster if I limit the size of butt to 4-5lbs.  For feeding a crowd,  I'll have the butcher cut larger roasts in half. Two smaller butts seem to cook faster and the bonus is twice the delicious bark.

Years ago I quit getting hung up on shooting for the 200-203 range , and start probing them after they hit 190. If the probe goes in like butter, then it's done.    It's also important that the meat rests, at minimum,  for 30 minutes,  wrapped in foil.

Please note that my comments are not critical of your methods, as they obviously work, and you know what you're doing.  I'm just throwing out some info based on my own experience. 🤙

14 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, everyone is posting their cookouts on social media and the amount of foil I’ve seen directly over grill grates is astounding.

What exactly is the purpose?

I assume to reduce clean up/grease fires, but why not just use a pan?

I've wondered about that too.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, zCommander said:

Does anyone have a better way to may a burger patty? I use my hands, roll up a ball and then flatten out but when the burgers are cooked they are half the size. I know they are gong to shrink but can't get them to stay bigger. I even put a dent in the middle but that is of no help. Should I get a burger patty maker from Amazon so the patty is more round and maybe fatter? Will this make it so that the burger doesn't shrink as much?

i think the issue is loose ground beef and it reducing as the fat is cooked out. I always go with the higher fat ground beef cause of the flavoring, I just make the patty's to accommodate the fact they wish shrink. 

you may also just be overcooking them. It seems to me the more well done the faster they shrink (not just that they shrink, but the rate at which they shrink increases the more you cook them). I trend to aim for medium/medium well burgers. I usually get 6 burgers out of a pound 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zCommander said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P5C74JM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B08P5C74JM&pd_rd_w=dBA0I&content-id=amzn1.sym.24b0b161-2d2e-40f8-8233-013eb186b34a&pf_rd_p=24b0b161-2d2e-40f8-8233-013eb186b34a&pf_rd_r=FPDBHSQD5Q3CD96W3DWH&pd_rd_wg=H2HIx&pd_rd_r=a6806d6c-8079-4f37-8aa4-06b546b01920&s=lawn-garden&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExREtQVFIyNjlSNllQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzIzODE4MU9ONVlFRDFTNDlQVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzg2ODAwMUpWMzVPVTY3RE9EJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I use a silicone mold like the one in the link because I freeze my burgers as I only cook for me and they are easier. You can make them as thick as you want. I use leaner ground beef so they don't shrink as much and I'm watching my fat intake. 

https://www.amazon.com/6-Cavity-Silicone-Non-Stick-Chocolate-Sandwiches/dp/B08H5CX4NK/ref=sr_1_21?crid=RMCQUQRBCSTK&keywords=burger+mold&qid=1654002421&sprefix=bugger+mold%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-21

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tshile said:

i think the issue is loose ground beef and it reducing as the fat is cooked out. I always go with the higher fat ground beef cause of the flavoring, I just make the patty's to accommodate the fact they wish shrink. 

you may also just be overcooking them. It seems to me the more well done the faster they shrink (not just that they shrink, but the rate at which they shrink increases the more you cook them). I trend to aim for medium/medium well burgers. I usually get 6 burgers out of a pound 

The beef that I got was 73% fat free. I try to do about a 1/4 pounder burger. 

Since the meat shrinks so fast and becomes fatter and taller I do end up cooking longer so they are not really red in the middle or raw. That is what I was dealing with yesterday. I am just thinking don't make it into a ball and then stretch out and maybe get one of these tools to just put meat into the round and then press instead and hopefully it won't shrink as much - just thinking logically here. Will order that think from Amazon before the 4th of July cookout and see how it goes. 

I was doing some research here and I discovered they are building a Cookout in Manassas. I am very excited.

Food like that should not be limited to North Carolina. Damn it, if I want to drink my Cheerwine and order burgers and hot dogs I should be able to do so in VA too. Northern VA that is (the more south you go in the state the more Cookout you see)

This is a great day for the area as before today the nearest Cookout was down in Fredericksburg lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

The beef that I got was 73% fat free. I try to do about a 1/4 pounder burger. 

Since the meat shrinks so fast and becomes fatter and taller I do end up cooking longer so they are not really red in the middle or raw. That is what I was dealing with yesterday. I am just thinking don't make it into a ball and then stretch out and maybe get one of these tools to just put meat into the round and then press instead and hopefully it won't shrink as much - just thinking logically here. Will order that think from Amazon before the 4th of July cookout and see how it goes. 

We usually make thin burgers, (Google "smashburgers), that cook really fast.

The trick to those is a hot grill, (to form that beautiful crust), and a heavy duty spatula that you can press down on hard,  to flatten the patty. It's our favorite way to make a burger, on the grill or the cast iron skillet.  

For thicker burgers,  I form them by hand, make them much wider than the roll, and put a little dimple in the middle of one side, with my thumb, and they don't seem to puff up.  I pull them as soon as the internal temp hits 165, and they're safely cooked and very juicy.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

For thicker burgers,  I form them by hand, make them much wider than the roll, and put a little dimple in the middle of one side, with my thumb, and they don't seem to puff up.  I pull them as soon as the internal temp hits 165, and they're safely cooked and very juicy.

I did make them bigger than the bun and put a dimple in the middle. However, I didn't have temp probe on hand. I will have to do that next time. Also, i was thinking if pre-made burger patties would do better?

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Please note that my comments are not critical of your methods, as they obviously work, and you know what you're doing.  I'm just throwing out some info based on my own experience. 🤙

No offense taken, I'm rather novice at smoking meat (that's what she said!).  Wrapping and spritzing were both first time experiences for me yesterday as I had never done that before.  I read an article that said it was the best way to do pulled pork on a pellet grill - although they said to wrap in foil.  However, there's a variety of differing opinions on all that.  I don't think I'll spritz next time, as I agree - it seems to lengthen the cook time and I'm not sure it's worth it.  I also would wrap in foil vs. butcher paper - the butcher paper was kind of a mess with something as juicy as a pork butt.

I also think I'll just start at 250 next time as well.

Do you smoke yours fat side up or down?  That is apparently a huge argument to be had amongst BBQers.  I went with fat side down yesterday, and I can't really tell a difference from any I cooked before.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I was doing some research here and I discovered they are building a Cookout in Manassas. I am very excited.

Food like that should not be limited to North Carolina. Damn it, if I want to drink my Cheerwine and order burgers and hot dogs I should be able to do so in VA too. Northern VA that is (the more south you go in the state the more Cookout you see)

This is a great day for the area as before today the nearest Cookout was down in Fredericksburg lol

They opened one just down the street from my job a few years back...we make runs for chili dogs on the regular.  And their hushpuppies are amazing. 

8 hours ago, zCommander said:

I did make them bigger than the bun and put a dimple in the middle. However, I didn't have temp probe on hand. I will have to do that next time. Also, i was thinking if pre-made burger patties would do better?

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-burger-labs-top-ten-tips-for-better-burgers

This article might help you.

I form my Patties by hand by spreading the meat out in a disk. I don’t start with a ball and put a thumb in the middle. Make it 20% bigger in circumference than your bun. Definitely don’t salt the meat until your Burgers are formed. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-burger-labs-top-ten-tips-for-better-burgers

This article might help you.

I form my Patties by hand by spreading the meat out in a disk. I don’t start with a ball and put a thumb in the middle. Make it 20% bigger in circumference than your bun. Definitely don’t salt the meat until your Burgers are formed. 

I totally forgot about salt. **** I added steak seasoning the night before. I killed the meat. :(

As for flipping often and at the same time, I use this, it is a life saver, and you can pull all of the patties off the grill at the same time if you get some grease fire. :)

30 minutes ago, zCommander said:

My son's work had a cookout too and they used these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Beef-Burgers-75-Lean-25-Fat-32-Count-8-lb-Frozen/10804578

He said the burgers were juicy and he really liked them compared to the ones I made. I might try these for 4th of July now. But still want to make my own burger meat though. Thoughts?

Go to your local butcher and get freshly ground beef, 80/20 is ideal. Make sure not to overwork the meat.  Ideally, you want them consistent and uniform - the ring molds PB posted help.  Just be sure not to fool with it too much or it will get tough.  Make a small indention in the top of each one. Get your grill as hot as it can get.  Season them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder just before they hit the grill on both sides. Grill for a few minutes, give them a 1/4 turn.  Another few minutes, flip.  Use a thermometer to get the internal temp after a few minutes.  Move them to a cool part of the grill.  Do not take them above 155-160, this will be enough to please any of the “ewww it’s red” crowd and not be a hockey puck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No offense taken, I'm rather novice at smoking meat (that's what she said!).  Wrapping and spritzing were both first time experiences for me yesterday as I had never done that before.  I read an article that said it was the best way to do pulled pork on a pellet grill - although they said to wrap in foil.  However, there's a variety of differing opinions on all that.  I don't think I'll spritz next time, as I agree - it seems to lengthen the cook time and I'm not sure it's worth it.  I also would wrap in foil vs. butcher paper - the butcher paper was kind of a mess with something as juicy as a pork butt.

I also think I'll just start at 250 next time as well.

Do you smoke yours fat side up or down?  That is apparently a huge argument to be had amongst BBQers.  I went with fat side down yesterday, and I can't really tell a difference from any I cooked before.

I've seen those arguments and agree with you and I don't think that it makes much of a difference. I trim most of the exterior fat anyway. They contain  plenty of fat and connective tissue.

46 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Go to your local butcher and get freshly ground beef, 80/20 is ideal. Make sure not to overwork the meat.  Ideally, you want them consistent and uniform - the ring molds PB posted help.  Just be sure not to fool with it too much or it will get tough.  Make a small indention in the top of each one. Get your grill as hot as it can get.  Season them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder just before they hit the grill on both sides. Grill for a few minutes, give them a 1/4 turn.  Another few minutes, flip.  Use a thermometer to get the internal temp after a few minutes.  Move them to a cool part of the grill.  Do not take them above 155-160, this will be enough to please any of the “ewww it’s red” crowd and not be a hockey puck.

okay, I found these on Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Beef-Burgers-80-Lean-20-Fat-3-lbs-12-Count-Frozen/10315960?

I am thinking with a bigger party I might go this way and not experiment as a safe bet. 

When I am cooking just for the family I will do what you said. Thx!

• Like 1