Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Prime brisket burnt ends.

I used the small point from an earlier cook, that I froze.

I used a cola reduction, mixed w/store bought sweet BBQ sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire, splash of soy and honey.   Poured it over the meat and cooked for 3 hrs at an average temp of 260 degrees on the Weber Smoky Mountain.   Straight charcoal, no wood needed. Very tender and delicious!

burnt ends.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, China said:

What do you use for the marinade?

Soy sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, rice vinegar, teaspoon of corn starch and a dab of sambal.

I seasoned the pineapples and veggies with a pineapple siracha rub.

Edit:  forgot to add pineapple juice to the marinade as well.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

^^I love grilled chicken skewers (with different sauces/spices) but the ALWAYS end up too dry because I'm afraid I'll under cook them. Yours look great!

https://www.thermoworks.com/thermapen-one/

If you don't have one, get one.   

Yes, they are pricey, but it pays for itself by the amount of food saved by not over/undercooking.   

If you ever watch cooking shows, then you've seen them, because that's what most chef's use.

13 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Soy sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, rice vinegar, teaspoon of corn starch and a dab of sambal.

I seasoned the pineapples and veggies with a pineapple siracha rub.

Edit:  forgot to add pineapple juice to the marinade as well.

That marinade sounds like it would be incredible on beef kabobs too.

I make a peanut sauce, with Sriracha, that's always a hit at the ES tailgate, that would be fantastic with those skewers.

3 TBS of creamy peanut butter

1/2 cup *Yoshida's sauce

Sriracha, to taste.

I got the recipe from the back of a bottle of Yoshida's.  The only difference is that I add Sriracha sauce.  

Mix peanut butter & Yoshida with a stick blender, until smooth, then add the Sriracha, until I like the way it tastes.

*Mr. Yoshida's Original Gourmet  (they have a few different flavors...use the original)

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

https://www.thermoworks.com/thermapen-one/

If you don't have one, get one.   

Yes, they are pricey, but it pays for itself by the amount of food saved by not over/undercooking.   

If you ever watch cooking shows, then you've seen them, because that's what most chef's use.

I got this one a while ago. My mistake has been using breast instead of thigh meat for kabobs. 

image.png.c8f1825e1ab862e2a9034ce5a22274b9.png

*Mr. Yoshida's Original Gourmet  (they have a few different flavors...use the original) --> I use this for my smoked meatloaf. Good stuff. 

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 1

@EmirOfShmo I bought the exact same one you have, because I was too cheap to spend on the Thermapen.  It's worked well for me.  In fact, on Kabobs - I don't even use it with thighs, as it's hard to overcook them - I generally just pull them on the look and feel and it hasn't failed me yet.

@Skinsfan1311 That peanut butter marinade sounds righteous, will be trying soon.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@EmirOfShmo I bought the exact same one you have, because I was too cheap to spend on the Thermapen.  It's worked well for me.  In fact, on Kabobs - I don't even use it with thighs, as it's hard to overcook them - I generally just pull them on the look and feel and it hasn't failed me yet.

@Skinsfan1311 That peanut butter marinade sounds righteous, will be trying soon.

I have to use it on chicken kabobs,  because Mrs. Skinsfan doesn't like dark meat.

Agreed on the thighs, almost impossible to screw them up. The most common mistake is not taking the temp up high enough. While technically "done" at 165°, the almost slimy texture at that temp is off putting.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I have to use it on chicken kabobs,  because Mrs. Skinsfan doesn't like dark meat.

Agreed on the thighs, almost impossible to screw them up. The most common mistake is not taking the temp up high enough. While technically "done" at 165°, the almost slimy texture at that temp is off putting.

Right, I tend to keep mine on to 180+ if aim temping but I’ve gotten pretty good just based on feel.

Vs. Breasts where 165 is the one and only sweet spot.  It’s just hard to gauge.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Right, I tend to keep mine on to 180+ if aim temping but I’ve gotten pretty good just based on feel.

Vs. Breasts where 165 is the one and only sweet spot.  It’s just hard to gauge.

Agreed. 

It's hard to gauge and chicken temps tend to rise quickly towards the end of the cook.

It takes less than 30 seconds to kill harmful bacteria, at 157 degrees....once a chicken breast hits that temp, I pull it.   160 degrees, max.

I'm pretty good at cooking by feel too, but over the years I've become a firm believer in "cook to temp" person and nearly always double-check with an instant read.

Kind of like "trust, but verify"   😉

The kebabs look amazing.   Aren't those GrillGrates the best?    I love mine and have them on 3 of my grills.   I replaced the OEM grates on the old Genny B, with GrillGrates and it was/is a gamechanger.  

• Like 2

I discovered (knew what it was but never tried using it) clarified butter and I have to say I'm infatuated with the ghee.  Makes the best fried eggs you'll ever have.  Better than bacon grease and that's saying something.  Good for all kinds of pan frying.  All the richness and flavor of butter without worrying about browning.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The 12th Commandment said:

I discovered (knew what it was but never tried using it) clarified butter and I have to say I'm infatuated with the ghee.  Makes the best fried eggs you'll ever have.  Better than bacon grease and that's saying something.  Good for all kinds of pan frying.  All the richness and flavor of butter without worrying about browning.  

Hell yeah.  Love to add a small dab on top of steaks coming off the grill.

It’s also the absolute best for homemade popcorn, doesn’t make it soggy and gives a super rich butter flavor.

• Like 1

Making some chicken wing pieces. Made a mix of cornstarch, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and a dash of chile powder. I'll add salt after. Baking at 400° , checking at 10 minutes and 15 minutes. Bought them already cut up, I cut off the wing tips anyway, no need to pay for those. Hope they turn out, first time making these instead of buying them. 16 pieces. 

Edited to add: Although I only used less than a tablespoon if cornstarch, it was too much. The spices were fine. And I left the wings in about a half hour total. Cooking is experimental!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 4