Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, China said:

Made some dumplings today for Chinese New Year.

Made a PF Chang inspired chicken lettuce wraps (subbed carrots for water chestnuts) & Pad See Ew (which was not very good. I need a new recipe for this). Hadthe longevity noodles in the Pad See Ew. 

1755165205_Pic22.thumb.jpg.d041aae4c6ef12a0bc5eb4a57448c571.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

How do you make it?

You marinate the pork belly overnight in soy sauce, chinese rice wine, oyster sauce, garlic, chinese five spice, and the fermented red bean paste, for which you can substitute hoisin sauce, but it won't give it that red color.  Typically there will also be some kind of sugar, either white sugar, molasses or honey.  I used brown sugar.

Then roast it at 400F for 15-20 minutes, baste and rotate with marinade, another 15-20 minutes, baste and rotate and the put on a glaze (which is essentally 2 tablespoons of the reserve marinade mixed with honey) and roast for another minute or two to caramelize and set the glaze.

There are lots of recipes online.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Lomo saltado, with aji sauce, rice and black beans.

221646AC-8D08-4E69-9ED2-4ABC8B241626.jpeg

There's a restaurant in Round Rock (how Texas is that!) that serves this dish plus Peruvian rotisserie chicken and other dishes. I've had the chicken and the lomo saltado is on my list to try.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

There's a restaurant in Round Rock (how Texas is that!) that serves this dish plus Peruvian rotisserie chicken and other dishes. I've had the chicken and the lomo saltado is on my list to try.

Lomo saltado is actually a very simple dish, with crazy flavor.  I used filet for this, sliced thin.  Frozen fries. Tomatoes, red onion, soy sauce, garlic, a splash of apple cider vinegar.  The only item you can’t find everywhere is the aji amarillo, which is the key to all the sauces.  I had to get it on Amazon.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

15 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Lomo saltado is actually a very simple dish, with crazy flavor.  I used filet for this, sliced thin.  Frozen fries. Tomatoes, red onion, soy sauce, garlic, a splash of apple cider vinegar.  The only item you can’t find everywhere is the aji amarillo, which is the key to all the sauces.  I had to get it on Amazon.

This restaurant uses aji amarillo. I can't wait to try it. The chicken was delicious, very popular place. The yucca fries with a garlic based sauce and maduros were delicious too.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

10 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

You have both piqued my culinary curiosity with your enthusiasm about this dish. It looks like my local Kroger has 2 aji amarillo products on their website that are available in-store. I'm going to give them both a try. Thanks! 

Private Selection® Peruvian Inspired Aji Amarillo Marinade

Private Selection® Peruvian Inspired Aji Amarillo & Quinoa Dip

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

You have both piqued my culinary curiosity with your enthusiasm about this dish. It looks like my local Kroger has 2 aji amarillo products on their website that are available in-store. I'm going to give them both a try. Thanks! 

Private Selection® Peruvian Inspired Aji Amarillo Marinade

Private Selection® Peruvian Inspired Aji Amarillo & Quinoa Dip

The Aji Amarillo marinade sounds pretty convenient.  Not a lot of stores in this area carry anything of that nature, but Wegman has this:

https://shop.wegmans.com/product/26325/wegmans-peruvian-style-marinade

I just used some of that, and I added some additional lime juice, garlic, cumin and avocado oil to marinade some boneless chicken thighs to grill this evening.  I have too much leftover yellow aji sauce to let it go to waste, so peruvian again for dinner.  Tonight will be the marinated and grilled chicken thighs with arroz chaufa (peruvian fried rice) only I'm subbing straight white rice for half brown, half cauliflower rice, but with all the same flavors.

I use this to make the yellow sauce which is really what brings it all together:

https://www.amazon.com/Incas-Food-Aji-Amarillo-Paste/dp/B003G52K5E

Here's the recipe I pretty much go by:

https://melissacookston.com/peruvian-chicken-sauce/

• Like 2

Thanks for these suggestions! I have some frozen chicken leg quarters that would work. I'm sure my local HEB has aji amarillo, I'm going to check. They do but it has habenero peppers in it, so that's a big no!

Just read that the paste is made from hot peppers, so I will use the recipe, add some yellow bell pepper to cool it down and parsley in place of the cilantro (which I really don't like). Can't wait to try this!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

We purchased an instant pot this black Friday.  No idea if we are late to this cooking innovation, but nothing has revolutionized meal and food prep like this.  

We just got an air fryer and I feel like it is going to be similarly life changing.  Cooked our first meal of chicken strips and fried broccoli in 15 minutes. 

• Like 3