Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

is there a point to spending over $500 on a microwave??

For $600 you can buy one that stops the count down on its own at 1sec so that you don’t have to worry about your kitchen blowing up if you get sidetracked. 

Safety is always worth it to me. 🤨

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

For the first time in my life, I have to buy a microwave oven. Never have had to. Every place I’ve lived has had a perfectly acceptable microwave present. 

apart from buttons, I’ve never noticed a difference how well a microwave heats food. In fact, at work, one kitchen has a microwave from the 90s that still works just fine. 

Get one that is a convection oven also.  I love it.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

My wife bought a super cheap $25 microwave for work 5-6 years ago. She bought it home 3 years ago and we use it every day. We want a better one, but this works just fine. It just needs a little extra time to cook. If something tells us to heat for a minute,  we heat for 1:30. We have had way better microwaves and enjoyed them much more, but we have better ways to spend our money currently.

Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day...I think I paid $35 for mine more than 20 years ago.  Most solid thing in my kitchen...I've gone through 4 coffee makers since then.  :ols:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day...I think I paid $35 for mine more than 20 years ago.  Most solid thing in my kitchen...I've gone through 4 coffee makers since then.  :ols:

Our Mr. coffee maker is the best. The numbers are fading that’s the only prob. We’ve tried to a few newer ones but not really happy. 

13 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

For the first time in my life, I have to buy a microwave oven. Never have had to. Every place I’ve lived has had a perfectly acceptable microwave present. 

apart from buttons, I’ve never noticed a difference how well a microwave heats food. In fact, at work, one kitchen has a microwave from the 90s that still works just fine. 

Watch for the Black Friday sales. 

• 2 weeks later...

Made this soup yesterday for lunch using some of the frozen Costco rotisserie chicken I had. I cut back the broth by 1 cup, added some oregano & paprika & didn't do the blender part. 

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/healthy-chicken-pot-pie-soup/

Also, if you bought this you need to toss it or take it back to Costco:

Kool-Aid, Country Time drink mixes being recalled because of metal and glass pieces

By News Desk on November 16, 2021

Some Costco customers have received a notice telling them that KraftHeinz is recalling certain 82.5 oz Kool-Aid Tropical Punch mix because of the potential presence of foreign material, specifically very small pieces of metal or glass. KraftHeinz is also recalling some Country Time lemonade mix.

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2021/11/costco-stater-bros-recall-kool-aid-because-of-metal-and-glass-pieces

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Made this soup yesterday for lunch using some of the frozen Costco rotisserie chicken I had. I cut back the broth by 1 cup, added some oregano & paprika & didn't do the blender part. 

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/healthy-chicken-pot-pie-soup/

I made my first ever chicken pot pie with a costco rotisserie chicken on Sunday after the game.  I didn't follow a recipe, but I did some overall research on it to get some ideas.  Came out amazing and both the wife and I had it for dinner, and lunch twice - just finished it today.  Can't beat $4.99 and not having to cook the chicken.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Kool-Aid, Country Time drink mixes being recalled because of metal and glass pieces

By News Desk on November 16, 2021

Some Costco customers have received a notice telling them that KraftHeinz is recalling certain 82.5 oz Kool-Aid Tropical Punch mix because of the potential presence of foreign material, specifically very small pieces of metal or glass. KraftHeinz is also recalling some Country Time lemonade mix.

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2021/11/costco-stater-bros-recall-kool-aid-because-of-metal-and-glass-pieces

Fredonia Glass Service - Home | Facebook

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Boiling lobsters alive will be illegal as study confirms they feel pain

It might soon be illegal to boil lobsters alive thanks to a government-commissioned study that confirmed crustaceans can feel pain just like us.

The research done by the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) found that there was strong scientific evidence that these animals have the capacity to experience pain, distress or harm.

This means that they will be recognised as sentient beings in the upcoming Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill.

‘The science is now clear that decapods and cephalopods can feel pain and therefore it is only right they are covered by this vital piece of legislation,’ said Animal welfare minister, Lord Goldsmith.

‘The amendment will also help remove a major inconsistency: octopuses and other cephalopods have been protected in science for years, but have not received any protection outside science until now,’ added Birch who is also the principal investigator on the Foundations of Animal Sentience (ASENT) project.

The UK is set to take the lead on animal welfare by protecting these invertebrate animals that humans have often completely disregarded according to researchers.

The report also recommended against the sale of live crabs and lobsters to untrained handlers, and extreme slaughter methods such as live boiling without stunning.

Click on the link for the full article

2 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

turkey is still frozen solid 😩 - may try and start the brining today and give it an extra 24 hours in the brine.  thoughts?  really don't want to do the cool water in sink method, takes way too long

Cool water bathtub 

Kidding aside I have the same issue