Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

18 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

also, has anyone tried spatch****ed method?  was debating on trying that out this year.  seems like it'll take less time plus more evenly cooked?

Its like you are in my brain. That's the whole reason I did this. I have been doing a chicken a weekend since I got my smoker and I think im ready for a turkey now. But we have to leave Wednesday, and if its not ready by this afternoon then im going to have to abandon it. 

I can confirm with the chickens its as you say, less time and more evenly cooked. If you have a probe you can literally just cook the breast to 160, take it off, let it sit until hit hits 165 and then the entire bird will be perfect. I would probably brine or inject a turkey, but for those chickens its literally been perfect. So I really want to try this. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Its like you are in my brain. That's the whole reason I did this. I have been doing a chicken a weekend since I got my smoker and I think im ready for a turkey now. But we have to leave Wednesday, and if its not ready by this afternoon then im going to have to abandon it. 

I can confirm with the chickens its as you say, less time and more evenly cooked. If you have a probe you can literally just cook the breast to 160, take it off, let it sit until hit hits 165 and then the entire bird will be perfect. I would probably brine or inject a turkey, but for those chickens its literally been perfect. So I really want to try this. 

i've read that you can brine 1-2 days frozen but my worry is that it'll get either too salty or too rubbery.  not sure if being frozen will help reduce that and allow for a similar brine as an unthawed at 12-16 hours

10 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Really?

Straight out the sous vide?

I would think that you would need to stick it under a broiler, or sear it in a CI skillet to crisp up the skin, after you pull it out of the bag.

Seared it first, in straight up butter, then sous vide it for about 14 hours. 

51 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

turkey is still frozen solid 😩 - may try and start the brining today and give it an extra 24 hours in the brine.  thoughts?  really don't want to do the cool water in sink method, takes way too long

You should start the brine today but only give it like 6 extra hours in the brine.  That way the brine will also thaw it.  But if you leave it in for an extra whole day, it will be too salty, and especially if you plan on making gravy with the pan drippings, the gravy will be WAY too salty.  I made that mistake a few years ago.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You should start the brine today but only give it like 6 extra hours in the brine.  That way the brine will also thaw it.  But if you leave it in for an extra whole day, it will be too salty, and especially if you plan on making gravy with the pan drippings, the gravy will be WAY too salty.  I made that mistake a few years ago.  

Thanks!  So you would do 20-24 hours (14 lb)?

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

I like biscuits and gravy so much for its own sake, that just seems like muddying all the flavors.

Also seems like you'd just end up with flavorless mush for the biscuits instead of nice crisp edges. I could be wrong though.

I like mine extra brown on top for that reason.  (And there's always the "open it up and put it in the toaster oven for a minute" option before throwing the gravy on).   I overuse that $15 appliance, but it's hanging in there.  :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My daughter has to work tomorrow, then take down Thanksgiving stuff and put up Xmas stuff, then conduct inventory on Sunday. A grueling four days for her and she misses her days off. My granddaughter is out of town. So we're planning something for later. 

I'm making a pot roast tomorrow, I need to use up the carrots. I have potatoes and onion and a pot roast sauce too. I can freeze the leftovers. 

• Like 1

Wet brining in a Ziploc storage bag update.  Everyone survived.  Despite the light blue dye in the Ziploc, none of it leeched into the Turkey and was told this was professional chef level taste.

Used a Williams-Sonoma Garlic and Rosemary wet brine (my wife normally will find nice things like that).  Borrowed Alton Brown's apple-cinnamon steeped water in the inside (should also add sage and rosemary, none on hand), plus added some lemons my daughter thought would help.  Butter on the outside. Added chicken stock every 35 to 45 minutes.   Used unwaxed floss to truss the legs and wings.  

500 degrees for first 30 mins then cover with foil at 350.  I actually reduced the temp to 290 because it was cooking quicker.  Cooked the breast to 180.  Rested about 45 minutes.  

I think this was my 14th year doing Turkey.   I used to meticulously log what I did, and temperatures over the 3 to 4 hours. I feel like a professional at it now.  Chicken stock 

• Thumb up 1

A little delayed posting, but here is my thanksgiving fun:

Ready fir it’s brine bath.

1DAE1FA3-01F9-4F16-928D-22E2975D85D2.thumb.jpeg.62084465302721a9ecd8cf5d66c39342.jpeg

In the bath.  It brined for 24 hours.brine included tons of aromatics, some citrus and herbs.
4AAA10AE-C6B0-452E-BD4D-EF04E8EB75F5.thumb.jpeg.8898da444b7d62d358d7ddeefd24683b.jpeg

In the smoker:

449AA299-961C-46B1-A28B-3547A89BBA57.thumb.jpeg.4e143249594ae55e064f566ab3e2af93.jpeg

All done: (Stuffed with more herbs and aromatics for flavor.  But they were just discarded.

Cook took 8.5 hours.  Cherry wood was used for smoke.  

It was briny and Smokey and juicy.  

A766947A-91A5-4BB8-BBA4-3933FC7292C2.thumb.jpeg.25c55770e60bf5e1de39bea0dec983cd.jpeg

1216F1DC-67A0-45FF-8C32-18DF668BFEB2.thumb.jpeg.2f7e8d16f05ce9c2e169b22630a5e9e2.jpeg

Also, my daughter and I had some fun with this turkey-bread project.  Got a pizza dough from our local pizzeria, and then we shaped and painted it.  It was super tasty.  Served with marinara sauce.

B637B6DF-2905-443C-BDED-5B7E3A5EF01D.thumb.jpeg.2027f47559ddbb6998d44398a63a89d6.jpeg

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 6