Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I don't care about cooking anymore.  Y'all have some fun.

I know, right? The weather is too hot to slave over a stove or oven. I can't have a grill or I would have included that too. I'm eating raw veggies these days.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 2:56 PM, Llevron said:

Made Spatch**** chicken. It’s super super good. Nice and tinder and juicy. I need to figure out how to make the skin nice and crispy tho. Low and slow cook, so I didn’t expect it. But if I could get it, would be perfect. 

Ant ideas? 

053F499E-AE80-4470-BD1E-A130A8A5D88C.jpeg

That's an easy fix.

Don't cook it low and slow.  Chicken doesn't really benefit from it.   

Shoot for a minimum temp of 325F at the food grate.  

It will turn out juicy, tender and the skin will be crispy.

If you have time, the day before, dry-brine it with 1/2 tsp of kosher salt per pound and leave it, uncovered, in the fridge overnight.  Dry-brining isn't necessary, but it does result in a juicier bird.  If you don't have time, that's fine too, it'll still be good. 

An added bonus is that the chicken cooks quickly...most of the time, usually around an hour.  

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Thanks for the tip ill try that next time and let you know how it goes! @Skinsfan1311

No problem!

The timing couldn't be better.  I grilled one last night and it came out perfectly.   Crispy skin and tender.   it's a perfect mid-week meal because it's easy to do, and cooks quickly.   

My grocery sells pico de gallo with mango. I cook some rice, add the pico de gallo, and either salmon or shrimp. I don't like raw onion and this method cooks it enough for me. This makes two servings. If using shrimp, I add enough for one serving so I don't overcook the shrimp. I have everything timed in one skillet, I just add ingredients in order and it's done in about 25 to 30 minutes.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2

Well, mostly it's just that people are ignorant, as with many topics.  When something says "Best when used by..." it doesn't mean that it instantly becomes no good the next day.  Same with sell by dates on many foods in grocery stores.  It doesn't instantly become bad.  I frequently buy meat that has been reduced for quick sale because it's at or past it's sell by date.  Lots of produce gets wasted in this country.

• Like 6

The problem with the food dates on products is the lack of standardization for the definitions of each date. I've worked with many food manufacturers and there's no consistency. I had one well known yogurt company change their shelf life from 30 to 40 & then back to 30 days over 6 months. So how long is it really good/edible? Uh, until it shows mold. LOL

Like most things food related, terms & definitions tend to be controlled by the big ag companies or the federal government (i.e., organic). 

• Like 2

Yeah the biggest issue with sell by/use by dates is the lack of standardization.   Growing up I was always told the food should be okay to cook 7 days after the sell by date, but I know from experience that is simply not true and sometimes you go to check on your packaged food and it looks like it is already starting to turn on the sell by date.   It all just depends and the better method is probably to learn as best you can the signs food might be spoiling.

Tonight I am going to make some seared ahi tuna.  Last time I attempted it the sear was good but for some reason when I went to slice the tuna steaks, it almost smooshed the pieces.  I am going to chalk it up to just not using a sharp enough knife that can get through the rare section of the tuna because the taste was on point.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I know, the best right? The only thing I didn't have were the dill pickles! They really make a difference. Plus I always ordered mine without condiments. 

I'm strictly a mustard girl, and that doesn't work with that burger, so I agree with condiment-free. 

There's a saying in the biz...if it's cooked right, it shouldn't need anything.  (Except pepper.)  Everything gets peppered.  :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'm strictly a mustard girl, and that doesn't work with that burger, so I agree with condiment-free. 

There's a saying in the biz...if it's cooked right, it shouldn't need anything.  (Except pepper.)  Everything gets peppered.  :)

Regular burgers require cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo. Counts as vegetables, right?!

1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Regular burgers require cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo. Counts as vegetables, right?!

Just tomato & onion for me...lettuce is just water, and to me just makes the burger more mushy (and the tomato does enough...every once in a while, your tomato might just taste like a tomato.) 

Trust me, these things have cost me assloads of sleep over the years.  I know, I take this **** way too seriously.  :ols:

• Haha 1