Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

On 4/12/2021 at 10:15 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Which seasoning?

On 4/12/2021 at 10:35 PM, tshile said:

Garlic cumin lime and I probably added a few things

BTW, I tried it on some pork chops and it works really well on them.

• Like 4

Celebrating shot #2 with a salad this evening.

Grilled chicken and asparagus, on a bed of arugula and butter lettuce, shallots, avocado and air fried chickpeas with homemade lemon vinaigrette.

Not pictured: Cheesecake Factory brown bread with homemade lemon garlic and herb compound butter.

95CE1ACC-B80A-4172-A49A-40778C838088.jpeg

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 6

Indian and Asian people know how to do spicy

its enjoyable. Until the end. When it all catches up to you. But you enjoy the meal

Stupid Americans mix concentrated sauces in so you take one bite and your tastebuds are toast for the rest of the day. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tshile said:

Indian and Asian people know how to do spicy

its enjoyable. Until the end. When it all catches up to you. But you enjoy the meal

Stupid Americans mix concentrated sauces in so you take one bite and your tastebuds are toast for the rest of the day. 

I live and eat by the grace of Mexicans.  They do chile right too.  At least the ones who live by me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KAOSkins said:

I live and eat by the grace of Mexicans.  They do chile right too.  At least the ones who live by me.

I live in probably the most Latino part of Atlanta. I've got a torta shop within walking distance that is absolutely amazing. Full homemade salsa bar. Met a friend for Mexican lunch today. Love it. 

• Like 3

Tonight was gonna be my first cook on the new hotness but now all of a sudden we are under a thunderstorm watch with a 100% chance of rain for the next few hours so ima have to wait till tomorrow. Big sad. 

Was gonna do cedar plank salmon but that will have to be in the stupid smelly oven now. 

• Like 1

So I was gifted one of the costco brand traeger grills.  I am a total n00b when it comes to pellet smoking/grilling.  Doesn't look too difficult.  I  may give brisket and/or ribs a try this Saturday.  I don't have to do the "before you use it for the time" procedure since it has been used twice by family before they decided this style of smoker was not for them.

Any experienced pellet smokers in here that could give me some beginner tips/tricks/things to avoid?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

So I was gifted one of the costco brand traeger grills.  I am a total n00b when it comes to pellet smoking/grilling.  Doesn't look too difficult.  I  may give brisket and/or ribs a try this Saturday.  I don't have to do the "before you use it for the time" procedure since it has been used twice by family before they decided this style of smoker was not for them.

Any experienced pellet smokers in here that could give me some beginner tips/tricks/things to avoid?

You brave.  Brisket is THE hardest thing to get right on a smoker. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I’d start with something quicker (ribs, chicken) until you get to know the smoker. Learn it’s tendencies and quirks. Nothing worse than blowing $80 on a brisket and smoking it for 18hr to find out the hard way that you miscalculated something. 

Example: my buddy got a pellet smoker and had a brisket take almost 24hr because it runs a little cool. 

• Like 1

Yeah I was thinking of getting some ribs as well, something I could cook quicker and have ready to eat while I tinker around with the brisket.  I suppose the tutorial videos just make it look so easy that they could be lulling me into a trap? I've mostly done brisket on a traditional grill with indirect heat, putting the coals on one side and the brisket on the other, a foil tray of water, wood chips etc etc.....all the manual process stuff.   

I definitely would not be buying a huge expensive brisket or anything, not on the first go for sure. 

13 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah I was thinking of getting some ribs as well, something I could cook quicker and have ready to eat while I tinker around with the brisket.  I suppose the tutorial videos just make it look so easy that they could be lulling me into a trap? I've mostly done brisket on a traditional grill with indirect heat, putting the coals on one side and the brisket on the other, a foil tray of water, wood chips etc etc.....all the manual process stuff.   

I definitely would not be buying a huge expensive brisket or anything, not on the first go for sure. 

Go with a pork butt.  They're easy and almost impossible to screw up.

• Like 2

Okay. Final draft.  This is the basic,final draft of the poor man's outdoor kitchen. I've moved it around the area about 3 times in the past 4 years. I like to cook in them to make sure I like it. That and as we've added little spots and such,it's been good to get an idea of flow to the space. This location was suggested by my wife. Behind me in this pic will be the fire pit area and behind that is the pavilion living space. To the right is the small bar area. Kitchen was located right next to it last year. The garden behind the kitchen area was,well,in the kitchen area.  I like this layout a lot. Looking forward to late June and on to go out to the garden and harvest veggies for dinner. :)  That's a 15 year old plus Weber Kettle in the middle there. Got it at a local rummage sale for $20 dollars 5 years ago. I've cleaned it up and I'm adding a few things to it so it's my go to grill. Smoker in the back,(that's the one I did the ribs with), with the gas grill,(with side burner),to the right. That's my oven and saute spot. My wife and I love to refurbish basic furniture so that'll be the project for some of the other stuff in the pic. I'll be replacing the two tops of the small wood carts with a diy redwood butcher block. Making our own pavers for the ground cover and I'll be adding stone ledger board and siding to the cinder block stands and wall,(which is on the right). In my years as carpenter/builder,I cursed the job from time to time. Now I'm glad I still practice it. Anyway,until all that's done,it's in full use and I'll cooking up a grilled stir fry in there tonight. :)

odktchn.jpg

• Like 6