Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I broke down and bought a jar of Hellman's mayo the other day. I had previously bought the local supermarket house brand because they're usually pretty good. There's just no replacing Hellman's!

Nope there is not.  Best Mayo hands down. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Garlic, cumin and lime tomahawk ribeye and apple and orange infused Woodford Reserve Old Fashioned. 

E7EB3F4A-F1B1-4A86-BC70-C6820E76044E.jpeg

You forgot to list that Sudafed on the counter in the list of ingredients for your Old Fashioned.

• Haha 1

Making grilled chicken tacos this evening and whipped up a marinade out of stuff hanging out in the cabinets and produce on it's way out.  

few chipotles with adobo

Orange and lime juice

few garlic gloves

pinch of brown sugar

splashes of Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and Cholula

Smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, adobo seasoning, salt and pepper

It smells great, tastes pretty good too.  We'll see how it turns out.  Anyone else just conjure up marinades with whatever they got hanging around?

I also had some ripe avocados, cilantro, and jalapeno peppers so I picked up some tomatillos yesterday and made a fresh avocado salsa verde.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Making grilled chicken tacos this evening and whipped up a marinade out of stuff hanging out in the cabinets and produce on it's way out.  

few chipotles with adobo

Orange and lime juice

few garlic gloves

pinch of brown sugar

splashes of Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and Cholula

Smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, adobo seasoning, salt and pepper

It smells great, tastes pretty good too.  We'll see how it turns out.  Anyone else just conjure up marinades with whatever they got hanging around?

I also had some ripe avocados, cilantro, and jalapeno peppers so I picked up some tomatillos yesterday and made a fresh avocado salsa verde.

I just did something similar with a pork tenderloin this morning. I want to grill it bulgogi-style later today so I threw together a marinade with soy sauce, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger & applesauce (didn't have a pear). Sliced up the tenderloin & will marinate it until tonight. We had char-siu pork tenderloin on the grill yesterday (our son stopped by & snatched the leftovers). I made a marinade with hoison & oyster sauce, garlic, ginger, honey, sesame oil, brown sugar, five spice powder. Smoked it for about 1 3/4 hours at 265. It was pretty tasty. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, EmirOfShmo said:

I just did something similar with a pork tenderloin this morning. I want to grill it bulgogi-style later today so I threw together a marinade with soy sauce, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger & applesauce (didn't have a pear). Sliced up the tenderloin & will marinate it until tonight. We had char-siu pork tenderloin on the grill yesterday (our son stopped by & snatched the leftovers). I made a marinade with hoison & oyster sauce, garlic, ginger, honey, sesame oil, brown sugar, five spice powder. Smoked it for about 1 3/4 hours at 265. It was pretty tasty. 

That sounds pretty good.  In general, I've been eating healthier of late - cheesesteak aside, although I didn't eat anything on the side, just the sub.  Feels like we've been eating tons of chicken of late, pork tenderloin would be a nice switch up.  Do you slice it thinly?  If so - do you freeze it for a little bit first?

I ordered some achiote paste on amazon to make some al pastor tacos eventually.  Typically made with thinly sliced pork shoulder, curious how it would turn out with tenderloin.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That sounds pretty good.  In general, I've been eating healthier of late - cheesesteak aside, although I didn't eat anything on the side, just the sub.  Feels like we've been eating tons of chicken of late, pork tenderloin would be a nice switch up.  Do you slice it thinly?  If so - do you freeze it for a little bit first?

I ordered some achiote paste on amazon to make some al pastor tacos eventually.  Typically made with thinly sliced pork shoulder, curious how it would turn out with tenderloin.

LOL Sounds like our house. We've eaten much healthier & have seriously adjusted our portions for the better. Lots of chicken & pork & vegetables.

Yes, thinly sliced but I didn't freeze it. Sharp knife did the trick. 

That reminds me - I have some ancho-pepper sauce I need to use - al pastor tacos sounds good!

• Like 6

Made a stuffed pork tenderloin last night, mushrooms, apple, toasted walnuts, onion garlic and breadcrumbs with a whole load of herbs from the garden (parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme).  Been humming Scarborough Faire since.  A light salad and a baked potato on the side.  

48 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

LOL Sounds like our house. We've eaten much healthier & have seriously adjusted our portions for the better. Lots of chicken & pork & vegetables.

Same.  Been eating much healthier and my innards reflect it, but I have managed to put on a few pounds anyway.  

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 7

So my smoker is dead. Didn't survive the move. It was an old daddy anyway though. Had it so long I couldn't even tell you the brand. It worked magic......but the magic is gone. 

Thinking about replacing it with a Kamado. Any opinions here on them? 

• Sad 6

8 hours ago, Llevron said:

So my smoker is dead. Didn't survive the move. It was an old daddy anyway though. Had it so long I couldn't even tell you the brand. It worked magic......but the magic is gone. 

I have a Chargriller Akorn Kamado. It was a housewarming present, I didn’t pick it myself, but it def gets the job done. I cheat and use a digital bellows to control the temperature. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Llevron said:

I have a kamado and if it ever breaks I will immediately buy another one. I will never own another grill.  I even got a propane inset for it but I rarely ever use it. It takes a few runs to figure out the temp so start slowly. It’s a lot easier to raise heat than to lower it. And it takes a while to get to set and forget it use. But it’s my favorite grill to use now. 

if you’re not attached to a specific brand and are looking at price (like I was) then make sure you factor in all the attachments. I got a vision series professional C for like 400$ less than a green egg once in added in all the attachments. At the end of the day it’s a clay thing with grill grates 🤷‍♂️ 

My brother in law has a pellet smoker and it’s almost like cheating how easy everything is but the food is delicious. 

@PleaseBlitz

i didn’t have the fancy tomahawk ribeye but I used that seasoning and that’ll be how I do steaks from now on 

• Like 2