Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

On 4/10/2021 at 8:28 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Burgers and brats for me tomorrow. 

Had brats tonight, I happened to be in Bailey's Crossroads so made a point to stop by the German Gourmet on my way.  If you've never been, I recommend it.  Their homemade brats are excellent but they have a variety of brats and other sausages (weisswurst, knackwurst, kielbasa, etc.) that they make that are also worth trying (not to mention their other fresh made foods like some of the sides and desserts (red cabbage, sauerkraut, streudel, etc.).  They also have a nice selection of German beer (and wine).  I'm enjoying a Spaten Optimator Doppelbock right now.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I have a Chargriller Akorn Kamado. It was a housewarming present, I didn’t pick it myself, but it def gets the job done. I cheat and use a digital bellows to control the temperature. 

I definitely think I want one of those. Brother in law is as excited as I am and he text me this in particular saying it would make my life so much easier. 

10 hours ago, tshile said:

I have a kamado and if it ever breaks I will immediately buy another one. I will never own another grill.  I even got a propane inset for it but I rarely ever use it. It takes a few runs to figure out the temp so start slowly. It’s a lot easier to raise heat than to lower it. And it takes a while to get to set and forget it use. But it’s my favorite grill to use now. 

if you’re not attached to a specific brand and are looking at price (like I was) then make sure you factor in all the attachments. I got a vision series professional C for like 400$ less than a green egg once in added in all the attachments. At the end of the day it’s a clay thing with grill grates 🤷‍♂️ 

My brother in law has a pellet smoker and it’s almost like cheating how easy everything is but the food is delicious. 

@PleaseBlitz

i didn’t have the fancy tomahawk ribeye but I used that seasoning and that’ll be how I do steaks from now on 

Good to know you like it so much. I have been reading about these for about 2 years but I wasnt going to spend the money until I had to replace the old daddy. Bro in law has a pellet and says the exact same thing you do. 

Just now, Llevron said:

Bro in law has a pellet and says the exact same thing you do. 

I see a lot of jokes pointed towards the pellet smoker crowd.  My uncle used to work for H4H and they would do a Costco pickup every few weeks, where they would give away any furniture/outdoor items that were returned.  He snagged a few Traegers and took them home, as H4H couldn't sell them (liability).  This was several years ago, when I think they still had the patent to where only they could put out pellet smokers.  He gave me one, and as a complete novice, I was able to produce pork butts, brisket and chicken that were on par, if not better, than many restaurants that exclusively serve BBQ.  More than enough smoke, smoke ring, etc.  They sell so many different types of high quality pellets, variety of flavors, even charcoal now.  I've been thinking of upgrading as to be fair, I haven't been the kindest to the hand me down I have - it's been out in the elements a ton.

My brother in law got one of these last summer: https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/prime-plus/daniel-boone-prime-plus/

It's awesome and I've been envious ever since.

11 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I have a Chargriller Akorn Kamado. It was a housewarming present, I didn’t pick it myself, but it def gets the job done. I cheat and use a digital bellows to control the temperature. 

That's what I have. Got it about 8 years ago at Kroger for half price. I was going to pull the trigger on a BGE but I just couldn't justify the price. Plus, my deck has 10+ steps to the ground. No way I could get a BGE up to the deck by myself (or with my wife's help). The Akorn isn't the greatest - it has some leaks, the base rusts but for the price it's fantastic (Rustoleum paint on the bottom panel killed the little bit of rust on it). It cools off quickly - actually, the exterior never gets very hot - so I can cover it almost immediately after a cook. The Chargriller cover for it is among the best grill covers I've ever purchased. 

There used to be 2 models: Attached side table or a foldable shelf on each side. I have the latter & took the shelves off to fit in an area on my deck. 

It took some time to figure out how to set the dampers to hold a certain temp. But now I know exactly where to set them to hit a temp & hold it. I've done 12 hour cooks on the Akorn without adding charcoal. I've also done 600+ degree pizzas on it. You can't beat it for the price. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I see a lot of jokes pointed towards the pellet smoker crowd

Yeah.... and they are banned from many competitions. 

but... if you’re not trying to compete and aren’t hung up on some ego thing... they are the easiest to use and produce the most consistent results... and some of the best food, which is sort of the goal right?

im just not into it all that much to be snobby about using a pellet smoker

i don’t know that they’re good for much else... like I can use my kamado for tons of things. I don’t know how well a pallet smoker does anything else. If I already had a grill that wasn’t good for smoking and I wanted a dedicated smoker I’d get a pellet one. 

but the versatility of the kamado is more for me. 

• Like 1

Just now, tshile said:

Yeah.... and they are banned from many competitions. 

but... if you’re not trying to compete and aren’t hung up on some ego thing... they are the easiest to use and produce the most consistent results... and some of the best food, which is sort of the goal right?

Agreed.  That's why I think if you're not trying to join any BBQ competitions anytime soon, and you are just a regular everday joe that wants to make good smoked food at home, the pellet smoker is the best way to go.  

That's no disrespect to the craft, as I'm well aware that the art of smoking is serious business.  I love nothing more than a great barbeque joint that does everything the old fashioned way.   I have a neighbor who is really into it and make some of the best brisket I've ever tasted on an old oil drum smoker.  But I like being able to produce similar quality food at my own house without all the time and effort it requires.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Agreed.  That's why I think if you're not trying to join any BBQ competitions anytime soon, and you are just a regular everday joe that wants to make good smoked food at home, the pellet smoker is the best way to go.  

That's no disrespect to the craft, as I'm well aware that the art of smoking is serious business.  I love nothing more than a great barbeque joint that does everything the old fashioned way.   I have a neighbor who is really into it and make some of the best brisket I've ever tasted on an old oil drum smoker.  But I like being able to produce similar quality food at my own house without all the time and effort it requires.  

If you add a blower attachment like PleaseBlitz has to a kamado you've effectively turned your kamado into a 'set it & forget it' grill - similar to a pellet smoker. Plus, you also get the flexibility to use the kamado for grilling burgers, steaks, etc. 

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Regulator-Adjustable-Adapter-Char-Griller/dp/B00A7F1BZQ

image.png.18cfda143085880e118a7350d7e6bd3c.png

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

If you add a blower attachment like PleaseBlitz has to a kamado you've effectively turned your kamado into a 'set it & forget it' grill - similar to a pellet smoker. Plus, you also get the flexibility to use the kamado for grilling burgers, steaks, etc. 

You bring up a good point about being able to grill as well.  The Traeger claims to do that, but I tried it once and just wasn't able to get the same type of heat/sear that I can get from an actual grill.  The GM Daniel Boone I posted above, I have seen get up to 500 degrees, when my BIL was trying to finish wings he smoked to get crisp.  It did get up to 500 degrees, but it was so hot that it was burning some of the wings.

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Plus, you also get the flexibility to use the kamado for grilling burgers, steaks, etc. 

or pizzas, bread, pretty much anything that you can cook in an oven can be done on a kamado. 

and I think it’s an excellent regular grill and and excellent smoker. 

the *only* knock on them, to me, is that the same thing that makes them so awesome and holding temps makes them very hard to tamp down a runaway grill. That clay pot just retains heat so well if your grill gets out of control it’s a pain in the ass to get it back under control 

the more you use it the less that issue happens and the better you get at dealing with it. 

@PleaseBlitz @EmirOfShmo

so you shut all the vents and rig that as the only  intake and it turns up/down to adjust temp?

wifes gonna be mad when another grilling toy shows up :) 

• Like 1

Like I said I have been fantasizing about this thing for over a year now so I'm going to treat myself. I saved up for it and I was going to wait until I deserved it....but now its a "necessity". The wife and I end up cooking for our parents and our respective brothers' families all the time so it will be put to use. I just wanted to hear some real (as far as i can tell, anyway) people tell me they love it. 

I know the below link is more of a sells pitch than a review, but its the only 6ish minute video that shows you all the accessories. Real reviews of this thing are like 45 minutes cause people really wanna tell you everything (and at the price point, I appreciate it) 

Im getting the fat one. Dont look at the price. And if you do dont judge me. My wife even wants it so its ok. She said so   >_> 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, tshile said:

so you shut all the vents and rig that as the only  intake and it turns up/down to adjust temp?

I leave the top just barely cracked, but otherwise yes. It fits into the bottom vent and blows in air as needed to maintain temp. It still takes some work to get it started and then down to 200 or whatever, but once you get it close you can walk away. Ive done overnight cooks and woken up to my smoker at exactly where I set it 9 hours prior. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Llevron said:

My wife even wants it so its ok. She said so   >_>

The key to any large purchase.  I was successful in convincing the wife we need an $900 Weber about 3 years ago.  I do all the cooking and she loves the food, so it didn’t require much effort.  But I pulled the trigger fast, so she couldn’t think more about it.

If only that worked when it came to the $1300 I just spent on a new driver and irons.  I literally just went with “I’m financing so many planes, I’m finally buying myself soemthing with the bonus”.  Oh, and I bought her some clothes and shoes too.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The key to any large purchase.  I was successful in convincing the wife we need an $900 Weber about 3 years ago.  I do all the cooking and she loves the food, so it didn’t require much effort.  But I pulled the trigger fast, so she couldn’t think more about it.

If only that worked when it came to the $1300 I just spent on a new driver and irons.  I literally just went with “I’m financing so many planes, I’m finally buying myself soemthing with the bonus”.  Oh, and I bought her some clothes and shoes too.  🤣

I honestly think she's doing it so I will cook again. Since the move shes been carrying the weight of the kitchen on her own (Shes so, so  much better than I am and we both know it). She knows I can sit next to this thing all week if she lets me. 

Also, remember that AMC 🚀🚀?? 

Worth it. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 4

Makes me sad when this page falls so heavily...

I’m going to try my hand at recreating Outback’s Alice Springs Chicken tonight.

I’ve looked around for copycat recipes and there are so many variations, I don’t think any are truly copycats.

So I’m going rogue with what I think is close.

I’ve butterflied chicken breasts and seasoned with salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano.

I will be cheating with some Ken’s Lite honey mustard though as all the light recipes for honey mustard I’ve found online aren’t very good.

• Like 3

I broke in the "new to me" smoker this past Sunday.   Some people do a lot of mods to these things.  All I did was install a gasket for the lid & door, and cut a notch for my temperature probes.

She was rock-solid at  holding temps with a 10+ hr burn time.  They build Webers to last.

It's the 18.5" version and this one was manufactured in '91.  Total investment was ~ $100.00, including the gaskets.  

20210418_143931.jpg

20210418_184146.jpg

20210418_190553.jpg

• Like 8

My apartment came with a propane grill. No thanks, ordering me a new charcoal bad boy, chimney and getting grill season underway. I was always a "well for big parties use the propane" guy but hosted my company last summer with my old charcoal grill with ease, and the flavor profile is superior.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

My apartment came with a propane grill. No thanks, ordering me a new charcoal bad boy, chimney and getting grill season underway. I was always a "well for big parties use the propane" guy but hosted my company last summer with my old charcoal grill with ease, and the flavor profile is superior.

There's no need to buy a new charcoal grill. There are ****-tons of Weber kettle grills for sale on FB Marketplace, for under $50.00.

Just make sure it's a 22" grill with the "One Touch Cleaning" system, (pictured).   Makes it a lot easier to clean the ashes and control temp.  If the grate is too rusted, you can get a new one on Amazon, or Depot, or Lowe's,  etc.   

20210420_160623.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

There's no need to buy a new charcoal grill. There are ****-tons of Weber kettle grills for sale on FB Marketplace, for under $50.00.

Just make sure it's a 22" grill with the "One Touch Cleaning" system, (pictured).   Makes it a lot easier to clean the ashes and control temp.  If the grate is too rusted, you can get a new one on Amazon, or Depot, or Lowe's,  etc.   

1. FB Marketplace is absolutely the GOAT

2. I definitely will not be breaking the bank on my purchase!

• Like 2