Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

Posted (edited)

So here are the results from my first Traeger voyage.  Everything came out pretty good.  The brisket ended up a little more cooked than I prefer, but I was also mostly eye-balling it.  I think I need to invest in a meat thermometer so I can be more exact about it going forward because of how much more traegers can be sensitive to opening the lid to check on stuff.  Otherwise though both the brisket & ribs came out really good!

bbq1.jpg

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 10

@NoCalMike meat thermometers are game changing. Not needing to open the smoker and let out all your good smoke and heat is the big thing. But if you invest in one that shows you all the numbers and tracks your cook for you, its like a whole other sport. Im very much looking forward to my first brisket myself and being able to track the point and the flat separately is going to be helpful for a noob like me.  

Last weekend I left the ribs to smoke while I went to pick up something some fertilizer lol. Being able to check on them over the app was so....freeing. Wife said I have a problem. But IDC 

• Like 7
Posted (edited)

I'll second the meat thermometer, can't imagine barbequing without one.

You don't even need to spend alot, there are several of them on amazon for 20 bucks or less that will do the trick, just look at the reviews.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, JCB said:

Damn, I didn't know there was an Arrogant **** sauce.

It's delicious.  It has some sweetness to it but it isn't overpowering.  Good mix of flavors.

• Like 1

Forgot about my pork butt and pulled it from the smoker and it was 226 degrees......wrapped it and stuck it in cooler until it dropped to 147. Best I've ever made! My new go to temp is 220!

• Like 3

Made some burnt ends and a pork shoulder. Burnt ends came out pretty fantastic. Best I have ever had. Sause is nice and tacky. They are so tender I almost can’t pick them up. Super happy with them. 

Pork shoulder on the other hand cooked wayyyyy faster than I thought and it was boneless which I didn’t notice until I opened it. Soooo we will see. It’s in the cooler right now resting. 

Wifey seasoning me up some corn so we can throw that on and then I can pretend I care about a balanced diet 😐

59108341-C039-40FB-BCC4-047E45438B19.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Tonight for dinner: I made a bowl of Cheerios topped it off with some Fruit Loops cereal, almonds and walnuts. Added some milk to the bowl as well. It turned out really good.

Sorry forgot to take a picture. 

• Haha 6
Posted (edited)

I helped a buddy of mine put together a gas grill, (Weber, of course😉), and he sent me home with some beer and Rockfish filets.  They're so thick, they're more like steaks.

A little olive oil, and light dusting of Old Bay was the only prep.  Medium hit with a few woodchips in between the cooking rails, and I pulled it off when the internal temp hit 130.    If there's a better tasting fish, I have yet to try it.

rockfish.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 7

We had Pacific rockfish Saturday night. Incredible. A bit firmer than Bay rockfish and just as tasty. I have 2 more filets in the freezer that I'll cook on the smoker this weekend. 

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

We had Pacific rockfish Saturday night. Incredible. A bit firmer than Bay rockfish and just as tasty. I have 2 more filets in the freezer that I'll cook on the smoker this weekend. 

I would definitely try it.  I've only eaten rock caught in the Bay.  I'm fortunate enough to have enough friends who fish, share it with me.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

My birthday present (from me, to me)! 2D796586-811A-40BE-8201-7858ED741060.thumb.jpeg.7c5883f0e1c9a21cb39d2316d5fe3cb1.jpeg

Happy birthday indeed! I have the same machine. Looks like you have the side burner right? Best steaks I have ever made (pork chops too) came off of that device. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Happy birthday indeed! I have the same machine. Looks like you have the side burner right? Best steaks I have ever made (pork chops too) came off of that device. 

Yea it has the infrared side burner and rotisserie. Already used the rotisserie to great results! 

DAB3D248-6AC4-4900-B8D2-A5C1427459B2.jpeg

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

I get to go over to a house where the smoked food is either undercooked and dinner runs 3 hours late or it’s like jerky

sometimes it’s both

but also I get lectured on how to cook it the whole time. 

so, yay me. 

Edited by tshile
  • Haha 5