Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

That’s like an hour away, AND I WOULD DRIVE IT because your Q looks amazeballs, but I’m already one bottle of wine in. 

Also love the granton. The sign of a real pro is they have pro tools. 

giphy.gif

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

I decided to stick with fresh beef. The difference this time was I made the patty really big, size wise, and didn't pre-season a day ahead. The other thing I did was not close the lid. The burgers were just the right size and juicy as well. 😊

Happy 4th!!!!

PXL_20220704_183329510.thumb.jpg.f0a614a784d96d891885550a5f7a7155.jpgPXL_20220704_164459593.thumb.jpg.f1f5ada44b1f5e458bdd266f465e3390.jpgPXL_20220704_183920828.thumb.jpg.323586ab2bd6990651c38db2fcae17be.jpgPXL_20220704_162448175_MP.thumb.jpg.d7067b3d06abdbc548c49b9d7e884323.jpg

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I tried smoking for the first time yesterday. I didn’t have great bark and I was having a hard time gauging the wood chips I needed. 

i think I used to many wood chips because it came out a little bitter. I also overcooked it. Honestly, I forgot about it until I took my dogs out before bed and glanced over at the smoker and it was still going. 🤪 it was 210 when I pulled it. 

it was actually tasty and not totally dry. So that’sa positive. I learned a bit about the Kamado and setting things up better next time. 

learn by doing.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I tried smoking for the first time yesterday. I didn’t have great bark and I was having a hard time gauging the wood chips I needed. 

i think I used to many wood chips because it came out a little bitter. I also overcooked it. Honestly, I forgot about it until I took my dogs out before bed and glanced over at the smoker and it was still going. 🤪 it was 210 when I pulled it. 

it was actually tasty and not totally dry. So that’sa positive. I learned a bit about the Kamado and setting things up better next time. 

learn by doing.

Smoking meat definitely takes some time to get the hang of it. You want to see the TBS - Thin Blue Smoke - before putting food (meat, veggies, fish, etc.) on the grill. For me on my Akorn it usually takes about 20 minutes to see it. The other thing when cooking on a Kamado-style smoker is getting the correct temp dialed in - adjusting the upper & lower vents at the right time to set the temp for cooking. I find when I'm about 100 degrees from target temp it's time to close the vents to a certain setting. Usually about 15 minutes later I'm good to go. I took pics of the vent settings when I started in order to see what would work for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

@EmirOfShmo Thank you for the tips. I regulated temperature fairly well. There were two times that I let get close to 300, but overall it stayed right around the 225 range. I need to situate the grill so that it is easier to add chips. That’s a good tip about 100 degrees off. I’ll definitely be doing that next time. I’ve seen too many videos that say to close when you get the temp you desire. So, that what I’ve been doing, but your way makes more sense.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I've roasted a couple of whole chickens lately. I'm turning them breast side down at 300°F for about 45 minutes, then turning them over for 20 minutes and then 15 minutes at 425° to crisp the skin. I cook it on top of cut onions and carrots or potatoes with onion and herbs inside. No stuffing the bird. It turns out with very juicy breast meat and crispy skin. 

• Like 4