Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I know alot of folks are into spare ribs but baby back we’re on sale, essentially 3 nice racks for $18.  

Any tips or tried and true methods you prefer?  This being my 3rd time making ribs in my life.

Use some light rub--if you put too much on, it'll over power the meat flavor. Smoke for about 3 hrs at 225-250. After there is good color and bark, wrap individually for no more than an hour (depending on thickness of the ribs) with a little apple cider vinegar, it'll give them a good sweetness to go with the smoke. Unwrap and put it back on the smoker to firm the bark a bit--30-60 mins. Meat should pull back from the bone about 1/2" when done.

I also will give them 1-2 mops of plain apple cider vinegar in the first three hours.

One warning: do not put too much liquid in the wrap, it'll turn the ribs to mush. 2-3 tsp tops. 

Final product. I was tempted to bail on the cookout this evening and keep this for me.

IMG_3538.jpeg

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks @Riggo#44, that’s approximately what I’ve done in the past, although added a coating of sauce in that last hour.  Not enough to make them saucy but enough to taste.

That brisket is inspiring af.  The next nice weekend window of weather where I can get one on at night and run through the next day, I’ll be doing a brisket as it’s been a while.  Looks amazing.

Where do you get your brisket usually?  How much do you trim?

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

@BatteredFanSyndrome I do the cider vinegar mop because it makes less mess on my smoker. What rubs do you use?

I sometimes make my own, but have been getting into trying different stuff from bbq stores, ACE, that I see online.

I just put these on with a little Bear & Burton W sauce and Meat Church Holy Cow rub.  I know it’s ’meant’ for beef but I’ve always loved the flavor and bark it gives pork shoulder, so figured I’d try on ribs.

IMG_4677.jpeg

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I sometimes make my own, but have been getting into trying different stuff from bbq stores, ACE, that I see online.

Check out Dizzy Pig in Manassas. They have a ton of different rubs. Crossroads is really good on ribs, as is this Dizzy Dust. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Did my yearly barbecue for the gang. Chicken was marinated with all the herbs and spices for 48 hours prior to grilling. The beef patty were made with hickory smoked seasoning. :) 

PXL_20240527_184009965.thumb.jpg.678c8eaf4aec0352519bc940602caf47.jpg

PXL_20240527_181908748_MP.thumb.jpg.1836f9034d5f67b89f4f95ebddee5ce7.jpg

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 5

Lo mein on the griddle tonight.  Used a method I’ve seen online of marinating the chicken in a bit of baking soda, corn starch, oil, soy sauce and a splash of water for 30 minutes before cooking.  The most tender chicken breast with a sear that I’ve ever had.  Also added several tablespoons of chili crunch w/oil at the end.  Crazy flavor.IMG_4712.thumb.jpeg.b2dae9ffec742a1089e962379ca42306.jpeg

IMG_4709.jpeg

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Lo mein on the griddle tonight.  Used a method I’ve seen online of marinating the chicken in a bit of baking soda, corn starch, oil, soy sauce and a splash of water for 30 minutes before cooking.  The most tender chicken breast with a sear that I’ve ever had.  Also added several tablespoons of chili crunch w/oil at the end.  Crazy flavor.IMG_4712.thumb.jpeg.b2dae9ffec742a1089e962379ca42306.jpeg

IMG_4709.jpeg

Called velveting (the baking soda with meat).  It's how you get beef in particular to stay moist when stir frying.  Good trick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Called velveting (the baking soda with meat).  It's how you get beef in particular to stay moist when stir frying.  Good trick.

I’ve tried with just corn starch and it sort of protects it, but the baking soda just does something next level.  It was crazy tender.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve tried with just corn starch and it sort of protects it, but the baking soda just does something next level.  It was crazy tender.

This is the Chinese restaurant trick for making cheap cuts of meat tender. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Corn starch works by absorbing the moisture that comes out of the meat when it cooks, allowing the meat to brown.  Browning never happens in the presence of moisture.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Corn starch works by absorbing the moisture that comes out of the meat when it cooks, allowing the meat to brown.  Browning never happens in the presence of moisture.  

Makes sense.  I always pat proteins dry before cooking on anything.

• Like 2

I, I mean the wife, didn't have to make anything tonight lol

Came home from doing a security cameras install at Halal Guys and the owner was like take whatever you want. Piled up the meats in one container and rice and veggies in a different one and made myself a nice wrap on the whole pita bread, I got from there too, and topped it off by some fries they gave me as well. Didn't put rice in it - not a big fan of their rice, too dry for me. The wife and the kids like to rice it up though. I love their hot sauce though. I like to sweat when eating gyro style wrap :) 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1