Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Mesquite with beef only for me. It has a sharp taste that beef can stand up to.  Apple or hickory for pork and chicken. I really like apple but other fruit woods would also work.  I find them  to be smooth.  Pecan is what I use for fish but oak would be good also.  I use pecan because there are huge orchards here and it's easy to get.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

35 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Mesquite with beef only for me. It has a sharp taste that beef can stand up to.  Apple or hickory for pork and chicken. I really like apple but other fruit woods would also work.  I find them  to be smooth.  Pecan is what I use for fish but oak would be good also.  I use pecan because there are huge orchards here and it's easy to get.  

Yeah the mesquite flavor does seem better suited for beef.  I had a garlic/honey flavored rub for the chicken, and it clashed with the mesquite flavor.

Never tried pecan.  May have to try it.  Have you used it with chicken?

• Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Yeah the mesquite flavor does seem better suited for beef.  I had a garlic/honey flavored rub for the chicken, and it clashed with the mesquite flavor.

Never tried pecan.  May have to try it.  Have you used it with chicken?

Not to smoke it but I have cooked chicken over the wood itself just plain grilling.  It's fairly mild like oak.  Burns good and hot.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Made some ribs for my wife’s birthday party. About 4 racks. I was in a rush and didn’t have time so I bought them pre-rubbed from Costco. I stuck them in the SousVide for 24 hours and when people showed up to the party I threw them on the Kamado for about 7 minutes per side. 

These were absolutely the best ribs I have ever had and the easiest I have ever made. Everyone at the party was raving about them. I was honest about what I did, but a couple of people told me they were perfect. 

image.jpeg

Looks great!   

What temp in the sous vide and the kamado?

@skinsmarydu

Pine cones?  That sounds actually pretty not so good... doesn't seem recommended.  

Grilling season kicked off in mid-May at our house.  "Mondos" burgers, adobe chicken for tacos, homemade grilled chicken (also for tacos), store bought patties, New York Strip steaks and homemade carne asada have been prepared on my grill.   My grill box was filthy and cleaned.... it's probably due for another cleaning. 

I just put in another batch of carne asada meat in for marinade this AM.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Was told that the Asada I made today was the best ever and not to change recipe. 

Followed what was on "Serious Eats" website.  180 mL orange juice from squeezed oranges

75 mL lime juice from squeezed lime

35 mL olive oil

35 mL soy sauce

35 mL oyster sauce (supposed to be fish oil)

4 garlic cloves

2 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon salt

The key was to blend all that up plus 4 ancho chiles (dried). This really added a lot of good flavor.  

I did the same thing with cilantro last time... but my family didnt even want cilantro.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Birthday party for the nephew at my house today.  The request was a taco party.  Homemade guac, mango salsa, chipotle sauce and will be searing some pineapple on the Blackstone.

8lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs rubbed down with adobo, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic, oregano, lime juice an avocado oil.  Going to crank the heat up on the pellet smoker and cook them on there.

4lbs chorizo that I’ll do on the Blackstone.

3lbs Argentinian red shrimp, peeled deveined and tail off that I’ll season with the above seasoning just before they hit the Blackstone.

My first crack at smoked Queso today as well, just put it on the smoker.

IMG_3526.jpeg

IMG_3527.jpeg

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 6

When using citrus for a marinade, sauce, baste etc etc.....every since I started using the zest (shredding up the peel/rind of the fruit itself) instead of just the juice, it's made a huge difference in getting the flavor to shine through on the cooked meat. 

There was a really good Caribbean marinade I use for flank steak when I make grilled fajitas and the flavor was night & day from when I just added some juice versus the shredded up zest. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Froze a few prime ribeyes from Sam’s for an hour and sliced thinly for cheesesteaks this evening.

Also, a few more from the taco party.  

IMG_3541.jpeg

IMG_3543.jpeg

IMG_3529.jpeg

IMG_3531.jpeg

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

When using citrus for a marinade, sauce, baste etc etc.....every since I started using the zest (shredding up the peel/rind of the fruit itself) instead of just the juice, it's made a huge difference in getting the flavor to shine through on the cooked meat. 

There was a really good Caribbean marinade I use for flank steak when I make grilled fajitas and the flavor was night & day from when I just added some juice versus the shredded up zest. 

It really depends on how long you marinade when using the juice.  A quick marinade, it’s great.  Anything longer than a few hours it changes the texture of the meat.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I don't know **** about smoking meat and am kinda lazy.  Would a propane smoker be a good fit?

Nah....if you're lazy, then consider a pellet smoker.  With apologies to the late Ron Popeil, they're the closest thing to "set it and forget it" as you can get. I don't have one, but a few of my friends have pellet smokers, and they love 'em.

• Thanks 1

I made my third batch of vichyssoise today, went back to leeks instead of onions. Much better with leeks. My daughter took home a CSA bag with a variety of veggies in it including some eggplant so tomorrow I'm making some ratatouille. Macaroni salad is on hold until the weekend. Cold food all summer now. Cook once eat multiple.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

I used to eat out all the time and be too lazy to cook but looking over all these cheap Rachel Ray books helps me learn how to make food at home which is cheaper and healthier. 

Today I made a spanish beef and rice dish. Pretty exciting stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Cool! I'm making some macaroni salad tomorrow. I went to the grocery store today and am bushed. I'm heating up some chicken tamales that my daughter brought. I'm having the ratatouille that I made over the weekend too. 

Cooking, once you figure out the basics, is fun plus you get to eat your creations.