Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wk 1 Operation Houston : Keys to Winning This Game

Red_dawg_one

VOR: I have no doubt that we will run right at Clowney every chance we get (particularly if he's lined up against TW). Truth is, I feel like they are not going to put Clowney against TW very often. I suspect they will man Watts up against TW more often and hope that Clowney can...well...clown Polumbus. Would seem logical to do so as Watts is more formible to TW than Clowney and, at the same time, allow Clowney to gain some confidence against an easier opponent in Polumbus.

I'm sure they will mix and match up the DLine against us to maximize their chances. My hopes, much like your post states, is to offset that with the quick passing game and force them to have to back off being aggressive, and allow Morris to take the pressure off and expose Clowney when the chance presents itself (audibles should be prevalent given the defense's alignment). :)

Offensively we have enough weapons. I'm more interested in the playcalling. Defensively I'm writing to see if Hatcher is the missing piece up front. More importantly if Fletcher's replacement can be consistent. Can he get off blocks and make plays in the hole as well as in space.

Maybe we should PA for the first play?

I don't like PA on the first play for a couple reasons:

1) you haven't established the run yet, so you have no idea how the defense is going to react.

2) most times in PA the QB turns his back on the defense as he executes the fake. (A little different if it's out of pistol) then has to turn around and pick up his keys. On the first play, I'd prefer something more simple.

I'd prefer just a quick drop, or a rollout, or something like that.

I think my personal choice is a play that immediately gets Griffin outside the pocket and gives him a run/pass option.

I don't like PA on the first play for a couple reasons:

1) you haven't established the run yet, so you have no idea how the defense is going to react.

I will point out that my post was in response to the assertion (which I rather agree with) that everybody in the stadium knows that our first play is going to be a run.

I'd prefer just a quick drop, or a rollout, or something like that.

I think my personal choice is a play that immediately gets Griffin outside the pocket and gives him a run/pass option.

Now there, I agree with you. 

I've been yelling at the TV (or the computer, when I'm streaming the radio), every time Rob scrambles out of the pocket, for him to evade the pressure and then throw the ball

I will point out that my post was in response to the assertion (which I rather agree with) that everybody in the stadium knows that our first play is going to be a run.

Yeah, I agree, I just have a personal aversion to PA on the first play. Agree with you though, everybody is going to think the first play is a run.

I just prefer a different option to screw with them

it's fairly simple to me......if we run a traditional drop back, west coast offense, we lose......if we take advantage of our talent, we win.

the 2012 offense started Morgan, Moss and Paulsen....and was successful.....we've replaced them with Jackson, Roberts and Reed.

I've said this before, but we're a Superbowl contender....yes, a superbowl contender if we maximize our talent.....that means forget the traditional offense.

I'd like to see a very similar style of playcalling to RG3's Week 1 in 2012 against the Saints.  Quick slants and screens, just get RG3 in the rhythm of completing passes and build the confidence.

Gotta get the ball out quick before Watt, Clowney and Cushing disrupt.  If we can't do that, we will lose.

I don't expect a huge game from RG3, I'd be fine with a stat line of like 15/21 for 180 yards and a TD + whatever rushing yards he gets.  Just as long as there are no picks or fumbles.

Pound it with Alf.

Our D should be good against Fitzpatrick.  Not worried about them.

I expect a boring, low scoring affair.  It won't be a pretty game, just gotta get the win.

Not sure if anyone posted this yet. Was reading the predictions on NFL.com. They have us winning but Elliot Harrison is being a prick about RG3 (big surprise, right?)

Washington wins a close game in Houston determined by a couple of key Ryan Fitzpatrick turnovers. The Texans need to run the football early and often -- how well they'll be able to do that depends on the Redskins' front seven, which can rush the passer but probably won't be as effective against the run this season. If I were Houston, I'd punish Robert Griffin III until he learns how to slide. Then again, backup Kirk Cousins might get into the game before that happens ... which would make Washington a better team. Nah, better to just let RGIII tackle himself. #WASvsHOU

Watching the Seattle game, their corners played up tight an awful lot in that first half.

One thing playing the corners up also does, is help stop the run. Poor Lacey, that was some tough sledding before succumbing to his concussion.

I sure as heck hope Haslett risks it and uses his players to their strengths - aggressiveness, and not their weaknesses, playing a passive soft zone, in a close game. Move up the corners, and get pressure on their QB early, blitzing if needed.

I also want Gruden to allow Robert to audible if Houston lines up Clowney and Watt on the same side.

I kind of want to see Gruden go for the throat on the first play of the year. Like he did vs poor Haslett in our game 2 years back. Going deep is not always a low% play. Pass interference is always an option. I am not sure its true or not, but we often hear that going deep early helps loosen up the defense.

It's a really interesting first game match up.

Two first year coaches competing.

Our weakness at o-line, but our strength at receiver versus what should be a fearsome pass rush.

Two very good runners. 

Two teams that truly and epically disappointed the year prior.

Whatever the result, I want to emphasize that FIRST GAMES MATTER.

I don't want to hear that it's only the first game if we suck it up, or that it's only one game if we look awesome. In 2012 we opened the season with a win at New Orleans. Griffin connected with Garçon, Morris ran wild, and the tone was set for the season

Last year we got our asses kicked by the Eagles. Our offense was inept and our defense sucked. Again, set the tone for the season. I suspect you can go back for the last ten years and see clearly that as goes the first game so goes the season

One other note, Im not worried about clowney at all. Williams will be on him and I think we can exploit him in coverage. Watt is another story. He is going up against the worst guard in all of football. That is terrifying

It'll be interesting to see how things play out between Haslett and the Texans offense. Isn't O'Brien also the offensive coordinator? I want to see how and what adjustments are made during the course of the game by these two; who outcoaches whom, and I hope we're on the winning end of that match-up.

A second key to the game is getting out early and not allowing this game to go down to the wire. With Jerome Boger officiating, you leave nothing - and I mean NOTHING - to chance for end-of-game suspense. Jump on this team early, neutralize the crowd, and then feed them Alfred all day long.

A new offensive minded HC has an advantage early in the season until film is out. I realize both Head guys are new, but Jay has more offensive weapons, we will score some points today.

RG3 will play well in a Texas' stadium.

Almo will outgain Foster.

Their QB is Fitzgerald.

28-10 Skins.

Archived