Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wk 1 Operation Houston : Keys to Winning This Game

Red_dawg_one

o Gotta run the ball

o Efficiency should be the order of the day, gotta stay in favorable down and distance

o Get Griffin comfortable and in rhythm with quick throws early

o Move the pocket

o Attack the Texans 3rd CB

o Use Jordan Reed to create mismatches and take their ILB vertical

DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER

WIN SPECIAL TEAMS

o Contain Arian Foster (the offense can help out here w/ long drives or early scores)

o DO NOT LET ANDRE JOHNSON BEAT YOU IN THE PASSING GAME

o vs Fitz pressure him and challenge him to beat the defense downfield

vs Mallett nothing cheap nothing deep force him to play disciplined and patient and catch him being greedy

You have so many keys here Grudens gonna be jingle jangling like the Janitors key ring at the high school....all kidding aside you have some valid points.basically we need to do the things we fell short of last season and do them well defense being a top priority :)

“If we get behind and it turns into a drop back pass-fest it won’t be pretty,” said Gruden. .... run run run

I am glad to hear Gruden finally say it. 

The problem is some weeks, the run will be stacked up against, and stuffed. 

You cannot always live off the run, nor play with a lead.  There is too much parity in the league, and too many great teams. 

I hope ALL options are on the table, to make the passing game work. 

I say we need to approach this game like we did the very first RG3 game versus the Saints...

Some very quick throws to the outside and keep the chains moving...  I dont think our OL has any chance against a DL with Watts and Clowney so we need to get the ball outside quickly...  I dont think we will have success running the ball first to open the pass... My prediction is that we will have to pass first to open up the run...

Lucky for us we have Jackson, Garcon, Roberts, and Robinson that has some serious speed on the outside. We need to take advantage of the speed.  If Texans play press against the quick screen then we need to audible to a fly route and make them pay....  Alot like RG3's days at Baylor... A simple game plan but when you go against a potentially dominate DLs then its sometimes best to just keep it simple...

Didn't know where to put this but Bill Barnwell is my favorite NFL writer and he's pretty complimentary of us in this piece

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-teams-improve-2014/

Thats about as fair and balanced of an assessment of 2013 as I've seen. Quite refreshing. I'm so used to morons, here and elsewhere, attempting to paint a completely different picture

Thats about as fair and balanced of an assessment of 2013 as I've sen. Quite refreshing. I'm so used to morons, here and elsewhere, attempting to paint a completely different picture

Pretty good, except for the comment about drafting a secondary player, instead of Murphy. The Safeties were off the board (I anted Ward so badly) at that pick and we grabbed Bash later.

Good read and I agree we win the East this year.

Looks like a clever, but raw player.

ROLB - 7 plays

LOLB - 1 play

TFL - 2 (tackled RB behind the line and sacked Ryan)

Sacks - 1

Total Tackles - 3 (Sack, TFL, and ran down Freeman from across the field to get an assist)

Two 3rd and Longs (on 3rd and 7 he lined up at LOLB and on 3rd and 6 in lined up at ROLB [4 WRs for Atlanta]).  Went inside when lined up at LOLB, speed rush right around Sam Baker for sack on 3rd and 6 at ROLB.

They will move him around it looks like.

Lined up over the slot WR coverage when Falcons where in 22 personnel with twins to his side.  He still made a play on the ball carrier who was running off tackle on the opposite side of the field when he started out lined up over the slot WR.

We will have our hands full with this one.  And that's before JJ Watt.

EDIT:  Here is a better video of the sack:

Looks like this sack is 3 WR and 1 TE, all split out.

Didn't know where to put this but Bill Barnwell is my favorite NFL writer and he's pretty complimentary of us in this piece

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-teams-improve-2014/

I think it is unlikely we will win lonly 3 games.  Winning 3 games is hard.  

I think the division is pretty bad and I'd be as shocked if we win 3 games as if we won 10 and won the division.

BUT a lot of the stats aren't actually out of line to really point to a turn around.

Some are, but a lot aren't as compared to 2012.

For example our opponent fumble recovery rate was 15th last year (middle of the road).  Two  years ago our opponents had a lower fumble recovery rate and put us near the top.

We were 18th in our fumble recovery rate.  Two years ago the rate was higher (we were #1 at recovering our won fumbles fumbles).

Our fumble rate was high (the highest) last year, but two years ago we were also high (3 teams were higher).

Both years our forced fumble rate were both pretty much middle of the road.

So we fumble a lot both years.  We just recovered a lot two years ago, while being in the middle of the road last year.

Both years we didn't force a ton of fumbles, but two years ago we were near the top at recovering them, and then last year we were in the middle.

Two years ago the compilation stats said we were a middle of the road team (because of the things like the very high fumble recovery rates).

http://es.redskins.com/topic/371098-how-good-were-the-redskins-last-year-and-what-should-that-tell-us-about-how-good-we-should-be-this-year-looking-at-profootball-references-srs/

Last year the compilation stats said we were really bad.

i have to say, I really thought this would be the year that Russell Wilson would falter, since its so rare to have a genuine franchise qb.... but watching the deftness with which be played tonight, the fake, run, and slide, for example.... let me know he is legit.

Its hard to see RG3 having much more potential upside than Russell Wilson currently has.

I think it is unlikely we will win lonly 3 games.  Winning 3 games is hard.  

I think the division is pretty bad and I'd be as shocked if we win 3 games as if we won 10 and won the division.

I think that you misunderstood Barnwell in that article, he wasn't projecting us to go 3-13 he was summarizing last years record. Barnwell assessed that the Skins would win the East...if Girff stays healthy.

As far as what we need to do in order to win the game...solid fundamentals. I will take our talent over their talenet any day of the week. If we play like professionals we will win this game.

I know one thing. I hope RGIII is watching the way Russell Wilson is playing against the Packers tonight. He's doing EVERYTHING we need RGIII to do. Getting the ball out of his hands quick, throwing the ball away when there's nothing there, and sliding on damner EVERY run. 

No, I hope Jay Gruden is watching.....I saw a lot of read option and bootleg from Russell Wilson....that's what we need to be doing a lot of...period

I'm gonna be a bit contrarian here, as opposed to the multitude calling for a conservative ground & pound running game, 35+ carries for A. Morris, and simple playaction pass to simple short routes like TE Drag, or dump-off screens, or bootlegs to fullbacks in the flats - whatever - you know the easy, don't rock the boat kind of stuff. At least that's what I've seemingly read here in abundance.

I want a vertical passing attack. I want big, spectacular, homerun passes that quick-strike score the opponent and put pressure upon them to respond.

We added a receiver in the off-season who made a killing in the vertical game during his previous life with an NFC East rival. We have a QB who made a killing in a max-vertical Spread attack in college and we've got a HC/OC/Playcaller who, at times, made teams pay in the vertical passing game. 

The Eagles in 2013 lead the NFL in passing plays of 20+ yards (80 plays), as well as plays of 40+ yards (18). The team in 2nd place for pass plays of 40+ yards, in 2013, Cincy, with 15. Meanwhile the Skins had 6 in that category, tied with four other teams for 28th in the league (only one team was worse). 

In 2013, Cincy = Gruden. 

Cincy had 57 pass plays for 20+ yards in 2013, good for 8th overall. The Skins had 39 pass plays for 20+ yards, tied for 30th in the league (only one team was worse). 

Now, today, Gruden = Redskins offense.

Of course not all of those 20+ yard, nor the 40+ yard plays were all done with the ball in air, obviously there were some instances of run after the catch. Nonetheless, the numbers indicate who made big plays and who attacked, at least in part, vertically. 

If I just simplify things and realize that Griff was awesome at the vertical game in Baylor, and that D. Jackson was a vertical threat for many years, and likewise add-in that Gruden took advantage of his redwood trees of WRs in the vertical game much moreso than traditionalist WCO creators, then the answer is simple to me, up your game in the Vertical. 

Now, obviously, when you run 20 plays of short passes mixed with running plays and then bootlegs to 10 yard Drags, that doesn't really warm-up a QB to toss it long. I believe, like with anything, you got to get rhythm as a passer, especially when throwing vertically. All too often I'd see Griff relegated to having to throw deep after a slew of other plays occurred, no rhythm was established, and the slightest imperfection in the throw would then dictate that the playcaller would not go back to something vertical for a long time. 

Or simply, the route tree was very simplified with basically only Robinson being the lone, deep, vertical route. 

So, I would like a commitment of sorts to the vertical game. And hopefully, like you saw at Baylor, Griff would quick-strike your ass with 40+, or 50+ yard bombs. 

Having Garcon take a slant pass for 80 yards to the house, like versus N.O. back 2012, would be awesome too ...  :)

Go Big. 

Go Skins. 

Archived