Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wk 1 Operation Houston : Keys to Winning This Game

Red_dawg_one

I choose to believe that Coach has been playing his cards close to the vest.  Yeah, the O didn't look so hot in the Pre-Season.  But that was the Pre-Season.

Commit to the Run, Play Action off of that.

Control the Field Position.  Limit Penalties & Turnovers.

That alone will beat the Texans.  I expect them to show some fight; but they will not beat The Redskins.

I choose to believe that Coach has been playing his cards close to the vest.  Yeah, the O didn't look so hot in the Pre-Season.  But that was the Pre-Season.

That's what Cooley is saying - I really hope there's some truth to that.  I think we'll see lots of quick WR screen passes and a heavy dose of the Butler to start the game.  Think Saints game in 2012.

I'm not sure this is the game to get him in. Talk about trial by fire.

Then again, if Chester is the turnstile I expect him to be, Perhaps it couldn't get much worse with Long

I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet LeRibeus will be the first guard off the bench if either Lauvao or Chester come out.  Same with Compton if either tackle needs a spell.

D Hall hopefully with some help should be able to slow down Andre Johnson and keep his touches to a minimum.

What concerns me is how physical/trash talking Hall may get, especially if we're up; I'd hate to see a repeat of Johnson / Finnegan, cause Johnson is big.

That still un-nerves me to see how Johnson did that guy; that was a Texas beatdown .

Im worried that Mallett might start

Why?  Patriots coaching staff connections?

I'm not really worried about Mallet.  Or Fitz.  

I'm worried about Andre Johnson and Arian Foster.  The league has proven over the years that really good WRs can have great years with crummy QBs.  Just see Gordon last year.  

They've got to stop Johnson first.  Put 2 guys on him at all times, and pop him (legally preferred) every time he catches the ball.

Then they've got to stop the run with their front 7.

After that, I don't think the Qb is going to matter that much.  My personal opinion, and I could be very wrong. 

I'm not sure this is the game to get him in. Talk about trial by fire.

Then again, if Chester is the turnstile I expect him to be, Perhaps it couldn't get much worse with Long

I'm hoping whoever is the LG NEVER has to 1-1 block Watt or Clowney. 

I'm not sure who's going to be blocking who.  But my hope is that they double team Watt and run right at Clowney a lot.  

Long (or Ribs, for that matter) cannot get ready to play soon enough for my tastes.  With all the teeth mashing about Polumbus, Chester was far worse last year. 

Why?  Patriots coaching staff connections?

I'm not really worried about Mallet.  Or Fitz. .......After that, I don't think the Qb is going to matter that much.  My personal opinion, and I could be very wrong.

I put a lot of emphasis on QB talent, coach/QB relationship and scheme.

I've always been a fan of Ryan Mallett. He is up there in terms of arm talent, dude has a hand cannon.

I also consider Bill O'Brien to be a QB guru. At Penn State he took McGloin from an after thought to making an NFL roster. Mallet and O'Brien already have a relationship; he won't be coming in learning a new system. Mallett will come in and have to learn the gameplan and build rapport with the receivers.

Lets make no mistake the Texans have talent on offense. The question is whether or not they'll have good enough QB play.

I do think we're going to have to do some smash mouth football at Watt and Clowney, but I think the quick passing attack is going to be the key. If we can kick them back on their heels a bit and get an offensive rhythm going, that will open us up deep and for the run based stuff.

Quick strike, screens, crosses, slants to start. Set our base, then attack hard.

Our defense is going to hurt their feelings and Rak and Hatcher will have more sacks, hits and pressures than Watt and Clowney.

I'm not sure who's going to be blocking who.  But my hope is that they double team Watt and run right at Clowney a lot.

That's something I wouldn't have thought of, but I sure like the idea of running right at their best pass rusher.

It lets our OL do what they're best at. (Run blocking.) And it forces their best pass rusher to stay home.

Let him tackle AlMo 20 times, instead of RG3.

This is a very winnable game IMO. Only thing that can hurt us would be lots of turnovers, or a total lapse on defense. I don't see either happening.

My only concern is the health of RG3. Does he take lots of hits during the game, and if he plays poorly how many hits from the media/fans does he take?

I do think we're going to have to do some smash mouth football at Watt and Clowney, but I think the quick passing attack is going to be the key. If we can kick them back on their heels a bit and get an offensive rhythm going, that will open us up deep and for the run based stuff.

Quick strike, screens, crosses, slants to start. Set our base, then attack hard....

You kind of stole my thunder here. I want to know what passing plays we can expect to see on first downs, early in games. 

We cannot successfully run Morris on first every time.

Dare I think we cannot keep a pocket clean for more than 2 seconds. Gruden had Dalton throwing quick and I think he will for RG3 too.

Adding to your routes that I want to see, a quick / 3 step fade. The back shoulder throw, to Grant if no one else can do it. Bubble Screen to Garcon. 

Other random plays to try to help keep pressure off of Robert, maybe a reverse to Jackson. What is his likely route in a 2 second passing window, anyways?  I think the Clown going inside a lot, may be vulnerable to a boot, and a crossing route to Reed.  Its about time for my annual wish for hurry up to finally be a part of our normal offense, and stop letting defenses sub fresh blitzers to attack RG3 the entire year. 

I can't wait to see the Gruden game plan. 

Not sure why everyone is so worried about Clowney.  We have arguably the best LT in the game going up against some rookie who hasn't even played his first game yet.  Trent's athleticism is just as impressive as Clowney's, and I'm willing to bet Trent's technique is much more refined and advanced than Clowney's.  Bottom line:  Clowney is no Aldon Smith (yet); Trent will be fine.

As for the game, I think we come out of this with a win if RGIII gets into a nice rhythm early.

The Routes of DeSean Jackson

I saw similar data, when we got him. One of the things that jumped out at me was that everybody was talking about him going deep every play, but he really did a whole lot of crossing routes.

(Which made my really feeble football mind start wondering if crossing routes might really punish people who are stacking the box, to try to stop AlMo.)

You kind of stole my thunder here. I want to know what passing plays we can expect to see on first downs, early in games.

We cannot successfully run Morris on first every time.

Dare I think we cannot keep a pocket clean for more than 2 seconds. Gruden had Dalton throwing quick and I think he will for RG3 too.

Adding to your routes that I want to see, a quick / 3 step fade. The back shoulder throw, to Grant if no one else can do it. Bubble Screen to Garcon.

Other random plays to try to help keep pressure off of Robert, maybe a reverse to Jackson. What is his likely route in a 2 second passing window, anyways? I think the Clown going inside a lot, may be vulnerable to a boot, and a crossing route to Reed. Its about time for my annual wish for hurry up to finally be a part of our normal offense, and stop letting defenses sub fresh blitzers to attack RG3 the entire year.

I can't wait to see the Gruden game plan.

its our thunder mehson. Redskins thunder. Were gonna whip some Texan ass.

In pushing tempo I hope we push our stud WRs out into the field, and get our big pickup Andre Roberts into the action early and often. 

The Routes of Andre Roberts, as best as I can find as told by HogsHaven back in March

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/3/12/5498176/hazards-huddle-wr-andre-roberts-vs-st-louis-rams

Roberts is a wildcard in our offense few are talking about.  I think he is like 3% owned in fantasy. 

Garcon. DJax, Jordan, Roberts. Give Robert 3 seconds via rollout, or whatever means necessary, defenses are going to pay. Dearly

Some posts from Texans fans:

I am interested to see how O'Brien attacks the Redskin defense. Their strength is definitely on the edges. I would go as far as saying Orakpo and Kerrigan are the best combo of OLBs in the league. They both contain well and force plays inside. The Redskins boundary corners are also very solid. Their defensive issues last season came from when the play gets pushed inside. NT, DEs, ILBs and SS is where the Redskins have weaknesses IMO.

Will O'Brien focus attacks on the middle or will he be like his mentor and attack the strength knowing the other team will game plan to cover up their weaknesses? O'Brien has said from the start this is a game plan offense, and so far we have not been able to see it since teams do not game plan in the preseason. That is what I am looking forward to watching.

Texans 31
Redskins 23

I am really looking forward to getting this first game over with. It's bordering on insulting hearing these opinions about how Washington is going to come into NRG and get a win. I know these are just from Washington homers, so it's to be expected, but it sure is about time to get the season going.

1. Washington loads the box and dares Fitz to throw the ball.
2. Fitz throws short routes that are contested, maybe ball tipped by defender or line once for 1 int and bad throw/bad judgement leads to another. Fitz and WRs still not on same page. Discover why we haven't seen Fitz throw long.
3. Arian plays but is rusty and because Redskins stacking box is not a factor. Does not finish game for unknown reason.
4. JD/JJ make a couple highlight plays. Front seven plays OK.
5. RG does not impress but makes a few big plays to the WRs. Our secondary is exposed once again as slow.
6. We actually play good enough to win but don't because we cannot score in red zone and get burned on few big plays.
7. JD or Cushing don't finish game.
8. We discover Grimes doesn't look as good once the real game begins.

That's enough.

I love my Texans, but I'm having a bad feeling about this game for some reason. I sense that the Texans won't be fully ready for this game due to all of the distractions involving the roster moves and transactions this past week. Also because many of the starters haven't gotten into football mode good, and on top of that they are still trying to learn the new system.

The Redskins, OTOH will likely be hitting on all cylinders to prove a point about all the negative hype concerning their quality of play, their team name, etc....

Washington Redskins = 31
Houston Texans = 10

What it also reeks of is a way below average QB and slow DB's and WR that can't get separation. Also this new offense that no one seems to have picked up also is a big factor. Washington trying to control RG3 is what makes it semi interesting. At some point I expect RG to say ****it I am going to win this game my way. Speed wins.

Hope I get to eat crow.

Texans 17
Skins 10

One defensive/special teams TD.

Both offenses struggle and this game is dominated by both defenses.

I think we crush the skins. I know our qb spot and secondary still scare us, but I have a feeling this year will be damn good. Our stars on offense carry the mediocre qb play and the defense becomes top 5 in every category.

Texans - 31
Redskins - 9

o Gotta run the ball

o Efficiency should be the order of the day, gotta stay in favorable down and distance

o Get Griffin comfortable and in rhythm with quick throws early

o Move the pocket

o Attack the Texans 3rd CB

o Use Jordan Reed to create mismatches and take their ILB vertical

DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER

WIN SPECIAL TEAMS

o Contain Arian Foster (the offense can help out here w/ long drives or early scores)

o DO NOT LET ANDRE JOHNSON BEAT YOU IN THE PASSING GAME

o vs Fitz pressure him and challenge him to beat the defense downfield

vs Mallett nothing cheap nothing deep force him to play disciplined and patient and catch him being greedy

Archived