Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wk 1 Operation Houston : Keys to Winning This Game

Red_dawg_one

Skins will not do it on offense ... ergo ....Haslett has to go all out with blitzing from all over to rattle Fitz and get turnovers. 

I can't recall the last time I saw a Skins' interception ...

That's gotta change ... need at least one defensive touchdown and a few short fields to score some FGs..

To slow the down the vaunted Houston rush and buy time to get Jackson deep..... 

Another page from The RH Playbook

Chip the Clown / Trent him. Pump fake on Watt, who should commence bouncing up and down instantly. Book it.  

I am thinking that could buy RG3 that extra second needed to let DeSean get to that second level. 

Of course, use Reed to seal off the end of a rollout, a crack from Garcon perhaps, and buy Robert time that way. 

If they are indeed thin at corner, go 4 or 5 wide. This is EXACTLY the type of thing the Skins teams over the years, refuse to exploit. An injured DB, limping but staying in the game. Go deep on him on the next play!  Starting a rookie on us, lets see what he has got. That undersized speed rusher, run right at him. 

Make it happen, JayG, make it happen. 

Watt and Clowney are nasty.....not sure who has the tougher assignment, but we better be keeping a back near RG3 to help pick up blocks and keep him from getting trucked. Run opens the pass....Bob just needs to be patient, pass first before he gets happy feet and trys to run.

Watt is the tougher assignment, IMHO.

Clowney is still a green rookie. A good OC can neutralize him a lot by using his strengths against him. Get him to over pursue, take himself out of plays

I think we will be ready for both of them, but I would worry more about Watt.

Polumbus against Watt?? Yeah that's going to be brutal. We will need extra protection all day against JJ. As for Clowney his speed is the main concern. I think our beast pro-bowler will be able to contain him for the most part, but as the game goes on he will wear down. Like somebody else mentioned we should keep it up tempo to wear down their front 7. Feed Morris the ball up through the tackles!!

OK, I / we really need a Redskin win, even if its 7-6.

My brother and I both have motorcycles, [ of course his is nicer, rat **** ], so loser has to clean and detail the other's bike. He's a big Texans fan, but he's not talking any smack, and it hurts so much !!!  I wanna give him the 3rd degree on his team, but soon as I say something, the Texans will win, so I gotta bite my nails for 4 more days.

If the Redskins win; oops, I apologize; when the Redskins systematically take apart the Texans and humiliate them on their own field, i'm driving my bike through every mud puddle I can find.  He just better answer his door when I knock. :P

Isn't Watt a DT? I keep seeing comments about him being on Polumbus, but wouldn't they slide Clowney over there and have Watt go up the middle?

He's listed as the right DE in a 3-4, so depends on how he lines up I guess.

But, does him facing Chester instead all game fill you with any greater sense of security?

If Trent is shutting down Clowney, I think it would be foolish for Houston's DC to not risk it all and move him over to line up over Chester or Polumbus for a few passing downs. 

Of course, I always think its foolish to run the same avenue of attack over and over, regardless of complete failure.  #insanity. Some guys just have other guys numbers. Rak would be shut down vs a LT, yet Haslett wouldn't move him around, test the line elsewhere, not even for one play. The thinking seems to be, I am setting him up. Yeah, no you aren't. He is shutting you down.  Bull rushing in your lane gets to be predictable. Let Kedrick do that and try your move on someone else. Sacrifice your least effective pass rusher on their best (LT) for a few passing downs, and see what happens.

If you were an OC running your tailback straight at the best run stopper to the tune of 0 yards play after play, you'd be fired after a fan mutiny. A DC does the equivalent, no one blinks an eye.

Giants last year, moved that punk inside on Chester after a quiet first half, and instantly parlayed that into 3 sacks.

I want to see the same, Kerrigan and Rak tag team LTs this year. Stunts, the whole 9 yards. If Rak is not effective, let Kerrigan throw a new move at him.

1.The Redskin offense is going have to establish the run early and often 

I really believe in this case the pass sets up the run, starting out running the Texans D will build confidence and momentum. I think they should dink and dunk, throw a couple bombs and throw down the middle to Reed right off the bat to get the D to loosen up. Then pound them setting up play action. 

2.It will be necessary to keep the Texan defense on the field for long stretches

This can be accomplished by using the read- option for small designed runs

and small hitch passes and no-huddle to wear down the pass rushers

See above, WR screens. FB screens, TE short routes all loosen them up. 

3.The Redskin Defense must limit the Texan offense to minimal yardage and play stout

against 3rd down pass plays

Can't disagree with that, I say cover those flat routes and put pressure on the QB early. 

4. Make good halftime adjustments offensively and defensively

Gibbs keys to winning any game. 

I really believe in this case the pass sets up the run, starting out running the Texans D will build confidence and momentum. I think they should dink and dunk, throw a couple bombs and throw down the middle to Reed right off the bat to get the D to loosen up. Then pound them setting up play action.

I really wish we would do that more, myself. A lot more.

Everybody out there knows that we're going to pound the ball. Figure out how to punish them for loading up against the run. (And get the ball out of Robert's hands. Quickly.)

That's one reason why I really like the idea of sending both DJax and Reed across the middle. Keep their middle defense guessing whether they should be moving forwards or backwards.

I believe what we saw in Pre season were areas of our game that we have struggled with.  I think come gameday you'll see more plays called that will make RGIII seem more comfortable then he really is, they will be easy routes that we've perfected in training camp and practice. 

We are not going to travel all the way down to Houston to let RGIII get more reps and practice.  It's game 1 of 16 (hopefully more) and this game is IMPORTANT.  To quote Jay Gruden "this isn't Mickey Mouse sh*t football", these guys on the 53 KNOW they are playing for their jobs Sunday.  One wrong move and they could be cut.  Houston better hope for turnovers and that the ball bounces their way.... that's their only chance IMO.

24-13 Redskins.

I'm legitimately terrified of the prospects of Houston's defensive line going balls-to-the-wall on our O-line and Robert.

I remain optimistic Jay shares your our same concern.  Dalton got the ball out quick. He said he will use RG3 to his strengths and not run plays he doesn't like. I think preseason was a smoke screen to show anything but what he wants to do.

Jay will test the waters (our OL vs their D) just to see, so let's not be discouraged on the first hurry RG3 faces.

But manoman I am going to be bumming big time if Robert is confined to the pocket under extreme pressure the entire game, like we saw throughout 2013.   Unless the OL dominates, of course, and we win! Ha.

I hope somehow we can give the QB time to pass the ball. I have a feeling Gruden will be moving the pocket a lot. We didnt see it at all in the preseason but I feel thats the best gameplan when it comes to passing the ball. I wouldnt just let our QB sit there in the "pocket" to get killed. We know our line isnt that good so we have to create time instead of hoping they hold up.

I hope we run Almo around 30 time this game. That would put a smile on my face. Our current oline is built to run the ball so why dont we run it and work off the play action.

Gruden talks about the key to the Redskins slowing the Texans' pass rush

“If we get behind and it turns into a drop back pass-fest it won’t be pretty,” said Gruden. “So it’s very important for us to stick with the run, run the ball and do the best we can in that regard to take some pressure off our quarterback.”

If last year’s numbers are any indication the Redskins could have a good shot at moving the ball on the ground. Washington was fifth in the league in rushing last year while Houston was 23rd in rushing defense. 

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/gruden-talks-about-key-redskins-slowing-texans-pass-rush

Archived