Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

Back on topic....still haven't seen anyone explain to me why we shouldn't consider the possibility of a KC for Gordon, or a KC for Blackmon (+ a mid rounder) TYPE of swap. I believe this to be a very real possibility.

I do not want Blackmon. He is a head case of the worst kind. He has talent to no end, but I think his head will keep him from ever being of ant real value.

I am not fond of trading him. We need a good backup and KC already has 2 yrs with the team. As for people deciding how good or bad he is based on 3 scrub games at the end of a disaster year for the team, that's just not enough data. He played pretty well in 2012 when the games meant something.

The thing about Cousins not having those great games is:  1) he played for us during those games; and 2) now you know what his weak points are.  If all you see is 480 yds and 6 TDs, how do you know you're not getting Matt Flynn?  I'd take a 3rd for Cousins and move on.  A 3rd means a lot more to us this year.

Agree with this post except for me it's a 3rd or better.

And I think someone will probably cough up a 3rd for him.

I'd not consider trading him this year for a third. Too much value in him with two years left on his contract for that.

I'd be perhaps more open to it next year for a third, IF he does nothing to improve/degrade his current position/worth

Also, open to a trade and asking for a trade are two different things so both reports could be correct

Honestly, at this moment in time, I don't see the point. 

We'd be lucky to get back what we gave to draft him (certainly no great increase on that), so he's more valuable being the QB2 than not. 

Then as now I wouldn't of drafted him as a luxury pick in the first place. Now I'd let his contract play out and see where he/ we stand. 

Hail. 

Agreed, mostly.  For the same reason you said, he's a valuable QB2, well, we have him.  I liked the pick.  Otherwise, it's that stud in your sig or some underachieving guy that's a desperate play if we need him.  Rather than desperate, I think we feel mostly comfortable with Kirk starting.  

I believe, with starter reps and the playbook built around him, Kirk definitely has potential.  As for a trade, the Cleveland thing could be interesting.  Despite what most people think, I don't think there's that much of a disgruntled attitude from the Shannahans to the Redskins organization(in fact, I think sitting Robert to eliminate the possibility of injury was a genuinely nice thing that Shannahan did for the Redskins future) , and Kyle would be perfectly happy sending a high-ish pick our way for Kirk.... that's assuming Kyle has any say in the matter among a franchise so dysfunctional it makes the Redskins look like paradise...and furthermore, Kirk probably just doesn't have that much demand.

But like you said, he's probably where he should be, and yea, let's let this contract play out unless the phone call for anything higher than a 4th comes.    

So let me get this straight; we are having a debate over whether or not to trade what seems to be the majority opinion, a lousy QB, is that correct?

If he's worth a 1st rd pick, trade him, if not, keep him, he's more valuable as a backup.

Imagine a backup QB open to a trade to another team to start?????? Not many of them out there, are there........?

Kirk has shown more than enough on the NFL level to bring back very good value.

Back on topic....still haven't seen anyone explain to me why we shouldn't consider the possibility of a KC for Gordon, or a KC for Blackmon (+ a mid rounder) TYPE of swap. I believe this to be a very real possibility.

I think is an illustration of how as a fan base we are way overvaluing Kirk. I can see no way any sane GM would trade a potential number one type receiver (even with baggage) for a guy with 4 starts two of which were so so. I think the best we will get for Kirk is a 3rd or 4th round pick and my opinion is he has more value here as a good backup than a 3rd or 4th.

KC for Gordon you're nuts. Gordon is a 1st round value even if he is 1 bad test away from a year suspension, KC is a low 2nd at best. Blackmon might be a better shot though he has the drug issues too. That trade would likely be straight up IMO, doubt an extra pick in there from us given the drug issues. 

Agreed, mostly.  For the same reason you said, he's a valuable QB2, well, we have him.  I liked the pick.  Otherwise, it's that stud in your sig or some underachieving guy that's a desperate play if we need him.  Rather than desperate, I think we feel mostly comfortable with Kirk starting.  

I believe, with starter reps and the playbook built around him, Kirk definitely has potential.  As for a trade, the Cleveland thing could be interesting.  Despite what most people think, I don't think there's that much of a disgruntled attitude from the Shannahans to the Redskins organization(in fact, I think sitting Robert to eliminate the possibility of injury was a genuinely nice thing that Shannahan did for the Redskins future) , and Kyle would be perfectly happy sending a high-ish pick our way for Kirk.... that's assuming Kyle has any say in the matter among a franchise so dysfunctional it makes the Redskins look like paradise...and furthermore, Kirk probably just doesn't have that much demand.

But like you said, he's probably where he should be, and yea, let's let this contract play out unless the phone call for anything higher than a 4th comes.    

If the Shanahan's wanted to protect Robert so much (franchise investment), why didn't they sit him for the KC game where there was snow and a sloppy field?  Why risk another injury?  I don't know why MS risked Robert in the Seattle playoff game last year either.  It's like he wanted Robert to be seriously hurt.

I'd let him go for a 1st (can't see it happening) or a 2nd (could happen maybe).  Anything less then that and I keep him as a backup.  It's one of those things where someone is more valuable to us in their current role then they are in currency.  I think of it like my dog (or wife LOL), no one would give me a $1000 for him but if they offered, I still wouldn't.

I would be a lot more open to a player to player trade depending on who it was.  There are a lot of holes to fill.  But then it comes to how much time the other player has on contract. 

Now I would trade KC next year for a 3rd or 4th because he won't stay here past his first contract when it expires.  And I would like to at least get something for him.  But then your really only trading for rights to him, not the player himself.

What a diva.

Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out Kirkette.

How in the world do you come to this conclusion???  Cousins has been nothing but completely professional. As noted by ladyskinsfan, this demanding a trade crap was another manufactured lie by adam shefter. He is a back up who would like to start. What back-up does't want to start? 

Sorry, but yours is a seriously reckless statement. No fact to it what so ever. Just a shot at a kid who has done nothing wrong to deserve it. 

Edit: Fixed typos - auto correct! yuck!

What's with the old news stories being news. He was open to being traded on day 1, I assure you.

I hear you have to have a great backup etc but they are really pinch hitters. We heard Green Bay sucks without Rodgers but I thought they won some games without him.  The opponent is not ready for the backup and thus they do well in short stretches, as we saw across the league last year. Well, most everywhere but not here.

I think we should trade him for what his market value is, and move on from that questioned pick right after taking RG3. Get a 3rd, and get a roster spot back since with a vet backup, we won't need to carry 3 or 4 QBs.  Moving Cousins alone should afford us an ace teamer or return guy.

Much like with the Cerrato era, sometimes to just best to cut ties and be more forward thinking. Gruden may well retain Cousins and I trust his judgement. Hell, we came this far and his value is now at an all time low.  But either he is valuable backup, or he isn't. Do not keep a 3rd and 4th QB to hand hold. And whisper in his ear just gun it.

Kyle Shanahan in Cleveland ... it's a new staff ... wouldn't shock me if he tried to push for a KC acquisition. The Browns have two first round picks to build their team. Last night, it was proven that you don't NEED a franchise QB to win a SB. You need a stout defense and a solid QB and offense. I would not, at all, be shocked if Cleveland gave us their 2nd rounder for Cousins. As many have said, his stock may or may not have taken a hit in our final 3 games ... but the truth is before those 3 games, GMs around the league stated they would part with a 2nd round pick for him. So, if that's the case before the game, I doubt he really played himself out of it, since most of the league understands the dumpster fire he was thrown into. If there are enough teams willing to trade us a 2nd, maybe we could get a 2nd + a late round pick, or hell, even a late 1st. Is it likely? No ... but I can dream! Here's to Kyle lobbying for him in Cleveland! Trade us your 2nd for Cousins and use the 4th on Clowney and the 24th on another defender. Cleveland has a solid defense ... they can certainly take the build-the-defense approach over "go QB early" ...

Trade Cousins for Cleveland's 2nd (35).

Trade 34 to San Francisco for 55 (2nd) and 77 (3rd)

Trade 35 to Minnesota for 40 (2nd) and 104 (4th)

Picks: 2nd (40), 2nd (55), 3rd (66), 3rd (77), 4th (98), 4th (104), 5th (130), 6th (162), 7th (194)

That's how you start to build a championship team. LOAD UP on 2nd/3rd/4th ...

Archived