Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

There is no reason to trade him for the same pick you spent. At worst he's demonstrated that he can hold down the fort as a backup. If KC's value is truly a 4th, then you should sit back and enjoy having a competent QB2 for a couple more seasons.

their are plenty of backups in the league that the skins can go after... cousins deserves a shot to start somewhere, and i think he WILL  be traded

ugh im a fan of the skins.... i do NOT race bait.. i post on the Bucs board too.... im a fan of Mike Glennon, Luke Kuechly, and RG3

has nothing to do with race

You called people that like Cousins "racist". And you make similar posts all the time. Thats the last I'm going to say on the matter, because we're getting sidetracked.

Just like the skins ownership… Keep the guy with two bad legs and played a horrible season last year and get rid of the guy who can read the field, throw to more than one receiver and keep his mouth quiet.  If they trade Cousins it will be the biggest mistake they ever make in my opinion.  There is NO ONE who can say RG will be RG again like he was in the last half of his first season.  You are taking a Gamble by keeping him.  

"most kirk cousin fans are secretly racist/rg3 haters, or just andrew luck fans..”  

And to this guy above who thinks everyone who thinks RG hasn’t proven himself yet is a racist, get a life.  RG has played a good 1/2 of a season in 2 years and that does not make a franchise QB and he has two bad legs which will never be the same again.  Denial does nothing.  Lets see if the skins are dumb enough to bet their hand on an injured RG.

Rg3 played a great 2012 minus the Carolina game and the Steeler game where the WR kept dropping his passes. The defense started playing better thus they won the final seven games, but rg3 was awesome in 2012 and will be awesome again.

Cleveland makes so much sense.

They're a team that, with the right QB play, could compete for a division title next year. Really strong defense, first-year head coaching bump, young and talented receivers and some good offensive linemen.

And they have cap space and the 4th, 26th and 35th picks to add instant starters.

Outside of the historic 2012 rookie class, the majority of young QBs have struggled or failed to elevate their team in this decade. Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder.. EJ Manuel, Geno Smith.. busts or failures.

For a 3rd round pick and a play-dependent conditional pick in 2015, Cousins gives the increasingly impatient Browns an opportunity to win now. A player with 2 years in a Kyle Shanahan offense that, 2013 excluded, has proven to be effective running and passing. The two work well together and speak highly of each other. Cousins has been groomed to run his offense immediately.

If you're Cleveland, you get a training camp competition between two young, smart, hungry and hard working quarterbacks -- you're likely to find one, if not two guys who can contribute right away. Cousins still has 2 years left on an incredibly cheap rookie contract. The investment would be small for Cleveland.

Or you can invest the 4th overall pick and all the money that comes with it in -- or be forced to trade up -- for a risky proposition, a quarterback who needs years of grooming to adapt to the league.

I doubt Cleveland goes into the season with all their chips in the Brian Hoyer basket. They might be too impatient for a rookie quarterback. Some in the organization saw how Cousins dismantled their good defense in 2012, as a rookie in his first start in Kyle's offense. On a cheap deal, Cousins could be worth their high 3rd. I for one would accept that deal.

their are plenty of backups in the league that the skins can go after... cousins deserves a shot to start somewhere, and i think he WILL  be traded

Why bother with two transactions if you have someone on the roster who is good enough to "deserve a shot to start" somewhere else? I don't think you get rid of a relatively proven backup (at the most important position) and go hunting to replace him unless an offer blows you away.

How would your scenario benefit the Redskins?

Why bother with two transactions if you have someone on the roster who is good enough to "deserve a shot to start" somewhere else? I don't think you get rid of a relatively proven backup (at the most important position) and go hunting to replace him unless an offer blows you away.

How would your scenario benefit the Redskins?

Kirk Cousins has proven he is a master at throwing int's... i say get what you can for the guy and move on

You called people that like Cousins "racist". And you make similar posts all the time. Thats the last I'm going to say on the matter, because we're getting sidetracked.

this thread is about Cousins, btw when you have a chance check out some of the comments on a redskins article or an article involving rg3 or cousins.... and you will see that once again im right

btw im not including redskins fans that like captain kirk as such, just the outsiders...( i.e. Andrew Luck fans, Rg3 haters)

Of course he is, he deserves a chance to start. Hopefully here. ;-)

We should not trade him. At the least we have insurance for RG3 and a competent backup.

Yeah, especially how he lit up 3 out of the 5 bottom defensive units in weeks 15, 16, and 17.

Kirks not even worth a 4th at this point.

This thread baffles me. I listened to Kiper and he said he thought Cousins ranks 3rd or 4th on the chart if you included him in this upcoming draft class. And of course, he feels a little less risky because there is experience there.

You have 5/6 teams desperate for a QB. I have no doubt one of those teams would give up a second because they know there isn't anyone they can draft at that slot with a better pedigree. A first? That's pushing it for sure-- that would really surprise me, but I think a second will happen if the skins are willing to let him go.

Taylor:

Its not happening, man. I guarantee you we don't get a 2nd. That wasn't even likely before Cousins flopped the final 3 weeks.

I wouldn't be so sure. Nobody Richardson just got a 1st rounder at a plug and play position. I could see a desperate team giving us a 2nd or if Kyle really wants him. He has some good film and correctable mistakes.

Hope you're right, kleese. I don't see it. At best, I think we get a 3rd. If not, I'm not sure I would even trade him for a 4th.

I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a mid 2nd round. As others have stated he is worth more to us on the bench than a 3rd and I really have a feeling with Cleveland having 2 firsts we might get that 2nd round offer from them unless Kyle really didn't like him at all.

I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a mid 2nd round. As others have stated he is worth more to us on the bench than a 3rd and I really have a feeling with Cleveland having 2 firsts we might get that 2nd round offer from them unless Kyle really didn't like him at all.

Honestly, the difference between a high 3rd and a mid 2nd is fairly negligible. Rookie of the year candidates Keenan Allen, Tyrann Mathieu, and our own Jordan Reed were taken in the middle of the 3rd.

This draft in particular is especially deep. Another 3rd rounder would be huge for us given our lack of a 1st and a roster with so many positions of weakness

There've been some really great posts on this thread (especially post #79) that may have been overlooked during all the troll action precipitated by someone who I hope has now captured the attention of the ES moderators.

Character-wise, I really like Cousins, and think he's a valuable part of the team. He's a dedicated professional, and anytime he got media scrutiny he was careful to say the right things, while still being genuine. Sometimes, he reminds me of the QB version of Alfred Morris -- he has a good, solid character, a modest mindset, and understands the responsibilities that come with the job.

Football-wise, he's a great fit for Kyle Shanahan's offense. And despite his vocal detractors, I think teams are going to see a lot of good in Cousins' performances. He ran a great offense during preseason, and frankly he didn't perform THAT badly during that last three games when most of the team was simply trying to play out their losing string --- under bad weather conditions, and in a totally demoralizing environment. He made some mistakes, sure, but we should remember he was also having to try shaking off 3 months of rust; and it showed on a few of the timing routes. I think if Reed had been playing, Cousins would have looked better.

Bottom Line: It would be great if we could keep Cousins on the Skins roster. But if the Browns offer up their 3rd round pick (which at 4-12, would be a decent 3rd rounder) ... I hope the Skins make the deal!

I'd like to see Cousins get a chance somewhere else, because he's never going to get a real chance to start here. And let's not condemn Cousins because he wants a fair chance to compete (and keep competing) for a starting job.

If Cousins gets stuck here for another season, it's possible he might benefit from some additional 'coaching up' and tips from Gruden/McVey. But candidly, any of those lessons would probably be come during the 'leftover' moments -- because Griffin's going to need almost all the attention.

The Kevin Kolb trade probably ruined backup quarterbacks going for high 2nd round picks. I could see the redskins getting a low 2 or a high 3. One thing you have to remember is teams that trade for Cousins only have 1 year before he can ask for a big pay raise. In an NFL where imo just good qb are getting 15 to 18 mil a year like Cutler, Stafford, Romo sits to pee,etc a team might want to draft their qb in the 1st or 2nd round abd get to look at a qb for 3 years instead of Kirk for 1 year.

I do think if the redskins could get a 2 or a 3 move him and draft a qb late in 4th or 5th round like aaron murray georgia or the LSU QB Zach M or South Carolina QB Connor Shaw or Clemson QB Taji Boyd.

Kirk Cousins has proven he is a master at throwing int's... i say get what you can for the guy and move on

Then what has he done to deserve a shot to start in the league (your words, not mine)? You can't have it both ways. He can't be both good enough to start and so bad we need to unload him for whatever someone's willing to give up. 

His true value is probably higher as our backup than anything we'd get in return. But, if someone is wiling to offer more, go for it!

Here's Cleveland GM Mike Lombardi, writing a column in December 2012. The title? "Kyle Shanahan-Kirk Cousins package could entice many teams"

"However, [Kyle Shanahan's] work with Cousins in last week's crucial win over the Cleveland Browns has made everyone in the league stand up and notice -- especially those teams in dire need of a quarterback and a coach."

"Shanahan's work this year has been really impressive overall. In the past, many thought the Redskins' offense was solely designed by Kyle's father, Mike, who is still one of the best offensive minds in football. But this year's Washington offense is the work of Kyle. Now, understand the concepts and principles of the offense are still from dad, but the game plans and the play calling are all Kyle.

Any team that hires Shanahan as its next coach might be able to pry away Cousins for a modest price -- considering he was just a fourth-round pick in last April's draft -- addressing two huge problems at once."

I don't blame Cousins for wanting to see if any teams out there want him as a starter. The Browns seem like they're interested in drafting Johnny Football, so I doubt they will seek a trade with us. I'm not sure why some people think the Browns want Cousins because of Kyle taking over the offense there. Kyle was always a big RG3 supporter and his play calls favor a more mobile type QB. The only possible trade scenario I could see is the Texans trading back their #1 overall pick to acquire more picks in the 1st and 2nd round. After getting more top picks they could trade one of them for Cousins, if they didn't like any QB's coming out of the draft.

Archived