Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

Lol this thread is comedy gold. When I need a good laugh, I'll just come in here and read the posts where everyone says we can get a 1st or 2nd for Cousins. It wasn't happening before the final 3 games of the season and he certainly didn't do anything to help his case. I wonder how many of you actually watch other teams play football.

What's with the old news stories being news. He was open to being traded on day 1, I assure you.

Exactly! have to wonder if "stories" like this and the "Kelly, Thomas, Davis/Jamaal Charles draft" story only passes for news here w/ the media here - parceling and dissecting ANY tweet and then generating "news" off of that.  This Kirk thing was talked about from early on.  Nothing "new" here...

Not so fast, according to Tarik El-Bashir, KC hasn't asked for a trade.  Schefter again leaking crap.  I have no more respect for his "reporting".

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/source-kirk-cousins-has-not-demanded-trade-redskins/

It's typical BSPN crap--Cousins saying he is open to to trade where he can go and start is miles from demanding a trade. Another instance of something getting taken out of context and blown out of proportion. What do you expect? I would have 0 respect for a guy who just wanted to stand on the sidelines, hold a clipboard and cash a check.

Hell yeah, trade him to Kyle. I'm convinced Mike Lombardi doesn't know what he is doing. Maybe he gives up a 3rd or better? Heck, I would take a 4th.

A fourth??? Draft picks are a crap shoot. Ryan Leaf, Jason Campbell, Heath Shuler, et al. Cousins is a potential starter at the most important position in football. If RG3 is worth 2 first rounders and a second, what is KCs value?? You say a 4th, I say a low first or a second. I've been accused before of being an "over-valuer" and I'm OK with that. I just don't get why people place more value on a pick than they do an NFL tested player. Picks are crap shoots, players are players. He can start in this league. Minimum offer should be a 2nd and we'll work up from there

Just saw the CBS report... They have Derek Carr (Fresno) and Jimmy Garopollo (Eastern Illinois) with second round grades.

This is why I believe KC can fetch a second rounder. If a team is willing to spend a second round pick either of those two guys, it is also quite possible they would value KC equal to or greater than either of them.

At this point, you entertain offers for the kid, and if the right one shows up on your doorstep (which means 2nd or better, which almost certainly won't happen), then you do it.

Otherwise, just hold onto him.  While it might delay him getting a real shot to be a starter, there is some benefit to Kirk too, as he'll get the chance to work with Gruden, who developed Andy Dalton and helped to make him one of the best young QBs in the league.  If Kirk continues developing and becomes a franchise QB stuck at backup, he'll make bank once he becomes a UFA, which I can't imagine he'd dislike.

I agree with this.  If someone offers a 2nd or higher (not saying they would, just speculating), then you pull the trigger and go find a veteran backup (I don't want Rex back).

Quarterbacks are different monsters than any other position and they CAN command ridiculous trade value. Comparisons to past QBs who have been traded for makes no difference, because THIS one might be the guy who turns it around, and that is how bad teams think.

QBs get way overvalued in these sorts of trades not just some of the time, but ALL of the time.

If we want to trade him and we settle for a 3rd or a 4th, we're every bit the chump that our reputation has been made to be.

Anyone calling with any offer like that should be laughed at.

~Bang

Great post.  QB's are always held in higher regards.

Andrew Luck's career passing numbers are NOT that impressive

Wilson, Cam, and RG3 are more accurate throwers of the football than Luck.... just dont tell ESPN that

First, you inject "Several" race baiting posts, then...

im not a panthers fan.... but Luck is kinda OVERRATED... he is not an accurate qb.. but this thread is about Kirk Cousins

You become a hypocrite of yourself towards others.  Just stick to the football talk.

It would be another completely ignorant move to trade Cousins now, we probably couldn't even get what we got him for "4th" rounder.

If this front office trades him away at this point then I will believe that they have learned nothing at all and we are doomed to the same plate of fecal matter for the foreseeable future.

I've learned that every time I see your username, something negative will be posted.  I really don't think you like one thing about this team.  Why bother?

This is a tread on Kirk Cousins and I have to say something - he has had meetings with the top brass and coaches and the story comes out he is open to a trade ... isn't that the same as demanding a trade without actually demanding a trade ... it does not exactly sound like a team player .... I understand his sentiments, but the discussions he has about his career and wanting to start should be the discussions he has off the record and away from the media . For someone lauded for doing and saying the right things should have said really nothing on the subject or Stated he is a Redskin and will support the team and work for the up coming season and what ever happens happens ... he is after all a backup .

I had to shorten the quote for rules, but I really think you went out of your way to read too much into this.  Not every player wants to be Don Strock (Career backup for the Dolphins and damn happy about it).  This is a new age of players, and even the undrafted players want to play or start. Kirk has been a "team player" for 2 years now.  There comes a point as a player who has the competitiveness in them that wants to play.  In fact, that is the "Best" quality a QB can have is the mentality that they want to play and start. Maybe he was just answering a generic question from a reporter.  I doubt that he seeked out a reporter so he can get the word out that he's not happy being a backup.  I really think you are looking too much into him not being a "team player."  Would you want to sit on the bench your whole career?

Here's to Kyle lobbying for him in Cleveland! Trade us your 2nd for Cousins and use the 4th on Clowney and the 24th on another defender. Cleveland has a solid defense ... they can certainly take the build-the-defense approach over "go QB early" ...

Trade Cousins for Cleveland's 2nd (35).

Trade 34 to San Francisco for 55 (2nd) and 77 (3rd)

Trade 35 to Minnesota for 40 (2nd) and 104 (4th)

Picks: 2nd (40), 2nd (55), 3rd (66), 3rd (77), 4th (98), 4th (104), 5th (130), 6th (162), 7th (194)

That's how you start to build a championship team. LOAD UP on 2nd/3rd/4th ...

I would love this.

Lol this thread is comedy gold. When I need a good laugh, I'll just come in here and read the posts where everyone says we can get a 1st or 2nd for Cousins. It wasn't happening before the final 3 games of the season and he certainly didn't do anything to help his case. I wonder how many of you actually watch other teams play football.

Matt, read Bang's post on page 1.  I'm not saying it will happen, but with the way the NFL is, there is always a desperate team.  Arizona took Kolb after only 2 starts, Oakland slobbered all over Palmer when he threatened the Bengals with retirement, Seattle duped SD in taking Whitehurst, in turn, GB duped Seattle into taking Flynn who shipped him to Oakland and so on and so on.  Those moves aren't moves made 10 years ago or more, they are recent.

Why would K. Shanahan do anything that would help the Redskins.

Well, ultimately it will be up to the GM or head coach.  Kyle can only put his 2 cents in.  You don't make moves to help the other team, you do whats in the best interest for your team, and if getting a QB that you think can elevate your team, you do it.  Will he elevate them?  I have no idea. 

Matt, read Bang's post on page 1.  I'm not saying it will happen, but with the way the NFL is, there is always a desperate team.  Arizona took Kolb after only 2 starts, Oakland slobbered all over Palmer when he threatened the Bengals with retirement, Seattle duped SD in taking Whitehurst, in turn, GB duped Seattle into taking Flynn who shipped him to Oakland and so on and so on.  Those moves aren't moves made 10 years ago or more, they are recent.

Green Bay let Flynn play his contract out rather than trade him because they felt he had more value to them as a backup than he would net them in a trade. I suspect that's the case with Kirk here. If someone gets blows us away with an offer that would be great, but I doubt we get offered anything better than a 3rd and probably lower.

julian is permanently banned....and here's two more suggestions from me that can work in any member's favor...1. when you report a post, don't pontificate, elaborate, or "create" your own "ideas" about "what it violates"...keep it short and sweet---ideally, nothing but the link and a short sentence of what specific rule/behavior is the issue (try to be sure you know the rule)...2. when such idiocy does provokes your strong reaction, try not to get your own temp vacation by going overboard rules-wise in reply.

Of course there is always a chance, but I just wouldn't bank on it. If Cousins would've played better in those 3 games, I'd like the chances a little more. But he played like a younger version of Rex. Klob in his few starts was lighting it up for Philly and same with Flynn. Also, if anything, haven't those trades shown teams that production in a small sample size doesn't matter that much? I would think teams would be more cautious now.

Of course there is always a chance, but I just wouldn't bank on it. If Cousins would've played better in those 3 games, I'd like the chances a little more. But he played like a younger version of Rex. Klob in his few starts was lighting it up for Philly and same with Flynn. Also, if anything, haven't those trades shown teams that production in a small sample size doesn't matter that much? I would think teams would be more cautious now.

No, I'm not banking on it, but I think Bang put into perspective what Cleveland might be thinking. Of course he could be wrong, but who knows.

No, I'm not banking on it, but I think Bang put into perspective what Cleveland might be thinking. Of course he could be wrong, but who knows.

My feeling with Cleveland is that Lombardi seemed like he really liked Hoyer. Now I don't know how the new coaching staff feels about him, but if the GM feels confident in him, that's probably a good sign for Hoyer. Then, they have 2 1st round picks. If they really fall in love with a QB, they have the ammo to move up and grab one. If not, they could always see if one falls to them with one of their picks. Maybe they're not sold on any QBs in this draft and really like Hoyer? Maybe they're just looking to bring in a veteran QB? I really don't know either what Cleveland really is thinking. But they seem to have plenty of options besides trading for Cousins.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it would be unwise for a new OC on a new coaching staff to push for a particular player?  I just can't imagine Kyle pushing for a trade, unless its a draft day trade at a low round.  Why stick your neck out - if its a great move, everyone will be talking about how Pettine made the call.  If KC ends up not starting, or playing like most Cleveland QBs, its  on Kyle.  If I were Kyle, I'd just tell management to get me a QB.  Or just pick Schaub off the waiver wire.

Personally, I think they'll go after Jonnie Football.  If a team ever needed some excitement, its the Cleveland Browns.

One of the most respected organizations right now gave Matt Flynn $26 million, with 10 of that guaranteed...

All it takes is one dink. And I am praying for Cleveland to be dumber than a box of hammers. (Let;'s be honest, they are the most dysfunctional org right now...)

I think Kirk Cousins should be traded too.

1) Jay Gruden has openly announced RGIII is the starter. This needs to be clear to the team regardless. If this is your guy DEVELOP him. You need a journeyman backup where nobody will be clamoring for them every time RG has a bad pass.

2) Last season needs to be erased.  Whether it is fair or not - Cousins was a big part of the Shanny issue with Robert. The locker room may still have grumblings if RGIII has any sort of slip and Cousins presence will be a constant issue. 

3) He is very politically correct but had some mis-steps that the media used to create firestorms. I am specifically referring to him mentioning RGIII being involved in hiring the new coach, over the top talk of the coaches and their game plans etc.  I think the guy is extremely nice and it wasn't ill-intentions BUT he is a pro old regime supporter who was very vocal about it.

4) He is not the future of the franchise. 

As a side note - I live in Texas near Baylor.  During his time here there were never any stories like the ones you see coming from the Post. Robert Griffin III is a class act and an extremely talented athlete.

Thanks for posting such balanced conversations here.  It has been interesting to read.

Tell Kirk to sit down and shut up until we find his replacement or he walks in free agency then. He ruined his own trade value end of this season with the way he played and he's worth more to us then some late round pick with Griffin's durability still in question (at least until he can prove otherwise).

I would keep Kirk Cousins. This team needs as many good players as it can get.

Tell Kirk to sit down and shut up until we find his replacement or he walks in free agency then. He ruined his own trade value end of this season with the way he played and he's worth more to us then some late round pick with Griffin's durability still in question (at least until he can prove otherwise).

I get so tired of everyone saying this. Are you really going to judge the guy on the last game of the season when it was a hurricane? That's just ridiculous. Put on the tape. You see a guy who's making big time NFL throws. Does he need to cut down on the picks? Sure. But I see more good than bad. What I saw from Griffin last year wasn't too good.   

One of the most respected organizations right now gave Matt Flynn $26 million, with 10 of that guaranteed...

All it takes is one dink. And I am praying for Cleveland to be dumber than a box of hammers. (Let;'s be honest, they are the most dysfunctional org right now...)

That is true but they held on to their draft picks. They didn't give any picks to get Flynn, just cash....which Mr. Allen has plenty of...

Caution gets guys fired.

Cousins chief value is in that he's shown ability, he's seen (and won) in significant games,, and most importantly, he's young and coachable.

He's also looked bad in some games, but the youth will gloss that over, and the bad throws and mistakes he's made will be minimized by the bigger plays. In their thinking, the potential outweighs the problems, because the problems can be ironed out.

I'm not saying it will happen, but if we are open to trading him, I believe the phone will certainly ring with a decent offer.

~Bang

Archived