Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

Why is everyone so concerned if Griffin gets hurt that Cousins is the "only" QB in the entire NFL that could back him up and run the offense?  Are the other QBs in the league that stupid or not talented enough to come in to be the backup?  Get for real.  If we get offered a 2nd or 1st, you make the deal, don't look back and go out and get a veteran backup.  The hell with the cap ramifications.  It's not like we don't have the cap space to sign a backup QB.  You guys act like Cousins is married to Griffin and one can't function without the other.  He wasn't drafted to be his lifelong buddy or eternal backup.  The guy wants to play and if we can accomodate him and get something significant for him, you pull the trigger.

You beat me to it...

People seem to think that Cousins is totally indispensable. He's a back up QB. If we can get a 2nd or a 3rd (and people thinking that is totally impossible don't pay attention--it only takes one), they take that and run. This is a very deep draft--but the QB market is thin.

Besides, I think a veteran "mentor" QB might be better for Griffin overall. Someone that can help him on and off the field...

Trading Cousins.   Wow.

This board has reduced itself to getting rid of a good back-up, possibly starting QB, because 'well we just need draft picks to take a chance on in hopes we find a gem'.

The MINUTE a player shows promise, why is it always the norm for the Redskins to get rid of him? I'd bet that the majority are multiple divorcees! 

The guy has done zero to warrant trading him away; zero. He hasn't been busted smoking weed, beating up his girlfriend, DWI, hated in the locker room, nothing. Only thing he has done was step in when he was called upon, and led the team to victories in crucial games we needed in order to stay in the NFCE race, and now some want him gone. what is wrong with you people?

Fact is, until the great wonderful perfect Griffin not only learns to slide, but improves alot from last season, Cousins is the absolute best scenario this team has. Griffin is no lock to be a top tier QB, and whoever believes he will be is just wrong; there's that word called 'proven', and 1 season doesn't equate into proven. Thus far, we've seen Griffin have 1 good season and 1 bad one, and the jury is out on him until he proves otherwise; until then/if this happens, Cousins needs to be kept. Remember, Griffin's one-man highlite reel is 1 boneheaded mistake away from riding the bench on IR, and if you're willing to trade Cousins for an unknown prospect while giving up on the season, then you'll never be satisfied in life.

Examples of players with potential that were traded away?

If other teams agree that Cousins has starting potential, isn't that the type of player you want to trade - one that has more value to another team as starter than he does to the Skins as a backup?  Three of our 5 starting OL were cut by at least two teams prior to coming to the Skins.  Wouldn't it be better to take a chance on a second/third round OL than the scrapheap that is out there now?

By the way - Cousins 1-3 as a starter, and he's yet to face a team with a winning record.  There's no need to start preparing his bust for Canton yet.

Trading Cousins.   Wow.

This board has reduced itself to getting rid of a good back-up, possibly starting QB, because 'well we just need draft picks to take a chance on in hopes we find a gem'.

No, we are trying to improve the overall team.  If trading a guy who will probably never start for us, gets us a future starter, then you do it.

The MINUTE a player shows promise, why is it always the norm for the Redskins to get rid of him? I'd bet that the majority are multiple divorcees! 

Actualy, over the years, we've been the opposite.  We seem to either hang on to our players too long, or if a young talent comes up, we decide he's not worth the money and we let him go without getting anything for him. Happily married for 10 years.

The guy has done zero to warrant trading him away; zero. He hasn't been busted smoking weed, beating up his girlfriend, DWI, hated in the locker room, nothing. Only thing he has done was step in when he was called upon, and led the team to victories in crucial games we needed in order to stay in the NFCE race, and now some want him gone. what is wrong with you people?

Where in here has anyone said Kirk has done anything wrong?  Why can Bill Belichick trade players (young and old) at the drop of the hat and he's marked a genious, but the minute we do it we're jackasses? And he's 1-3 as a starter.

Fact is, until the great wonderful perfect Griffin not only learns to slide, but improves alot from last season, Cousins is the absolute best scenario this team has. Griffin is no lock to be a top tier QB, and whoever believes he will be is just wrong; there's that word called 'proven', and 1 season doesn't equate into proven. Thus far, we've seen Griffin have 1 good season and 1 bad one, and the jury is out on him until he proves otherwise; until then/if this happens, Cousins needs to be kept. Remember, Griffin's one-man highlite reel is 1 boneheaded mistake away from riding the bench on IR, and if you're willing to trade Cousins for an unknown prospect while giving up on the season, then you'll never be satisfied in life.

This last paragraph sounds more like Griffen hate more than anything.  You say Griffin hasn't proven anything?  Has Kirk?  Why is the jury out on Griffin, but not Kirk?  We've seen Kirk have 2 good games (Clev/Atl) and 2 bad games (NYG/Dall), kind of like you saying Griffin has had 1 good season and 1 bad season.  Not exactly a prestine resume either. So Griffin is not allowed to make mistakes? 

You trade him for a high draft pick because that is the correct way to build a team for the future. Belichick has been doing this for years (Matt Cassell for instance).

I don't know how you equate trading a backup as giving up on the season.  Unless Griffin retires or is traded himself, Cousins will not see the starting lineup.  Without being in offseason workouts yet, Gruden has declared Griffin the day one starter already. 

Trading Cousins.   Wow.

The point is if Cousins is valued around the league and is a backup for us, we'd be foolish for keeping him. We've already put our eggs in the Griffin basket when we made the trade. If Griffin doesn't work out, this franchise is turned upside down and Cousins won't be able to save it.  

It's worth the risk to improve the team by potentially finding a 2nd or 3rd round prospect that can help than it is to keep Cousins on the off chance that Griffin doesn't work out or gets injured. Who is Drew Brees' backup? Romo sits to pee, Brady or Big Ben etc...nobody knows or cares. If they get injured, and they all are one hit away from being on IR, their seasons and teams are pretty much sunk. It's pretty rare to have a Cutler or Rodgers situation where the backup can keep the team afloat. Besides, there are plenty of vet QBs that could come in and help out in a pinch of Griffin goes down and keep the 1:1 TD:INT ratio Cousins has.

It's luxury we don't need when we have other pressing holes to fill. A 2nd or 3rd rounder is a starter or major contributor. Cousins isn't even supposed to play. It makes no sense to keep him if you can get good value like a 2nd or 3rd.  

I threw out the list of teams that could use a QB a couple months ago. It goes beyond the Browns. In fact, it might be the Vikings who come calling. They're picking 8th and, if the run on QBs occurs early, will be in a position to get a STUD at another position, and trade us pick #40 for Cousins.

The Browns would obviously be in a similar position with the 4th pick, but they'll be more readily accessible to a top QB.

Walter Football has for their 2/5 update:

1. Houston - Blake Bortles

2. St. Louis - Jadaveon Clowney

3. Jacksonville - Teddy Bridgewater 

4. Cleveland - Johnny Manziel

5. Oakland - Sammy Watkins

6. Atlanta - Khalil Mack

7. Tampa Bay - Jake Matthews

8. Minnesota - Derek Carr

Now, based on that Top 8 ... I could see Oakland choosing to trade their 2nd rounder for Cousins (done it before!) ... I could see the Vikings doing the same. I honestly think the Jags would take Manziel over Bridgewater because he's more of an impact guy that can sell tickets. But point being, there are plenty of talented guys falling to the latter half of the Top 10 because the QBs are forcing their way above their value. SO, one of the "top 3" will be their for Cleveland, but after that, either Oakland or Minnesota could decide to draft BPA at their spots and part with their 2nd rounder for Cousins (or trade off their Top 10 pick and get an additional 2nd rounder to recoup what they trade us.

I think the answer will end up being outside of Cleveland, unless someone trades with St. Louis into the 2nd spot to draft Manziel or Bridgewater or Bortles. In that case, the Top 3 could easily be all QBs, leaving Cleveland at 4 with a shot at Clowney or Matthews. I would imagine they choose to go BPA there and trade us their 2nd for their QB.

From what Walter has, we could really add some studs there in the early 2nd if we were to make that kind of trade. Walter has us taking Tuitt at 34, Christian Jones at 66 and Jared Abbrederis at 98. 

If Oakland traded us 36 for Cousins ... we could draft OG Su-a'filo, Gabe Jackson, TE Safarian-Jenkins, any of the WRs, etc. Or we could use both picks to trade back, as I've mentioned before, and add some more 3rds  and 4ths. 

Bottom line --- trading Cousins will get us at least 1 starter, if not 2, who will not command a lot of salary for 3-4 years.

I threw out the list of teams that could use a QB a couple months ago. It goes beyond the Browns. In fact, it might be the Vikings who come calling. They're picking 8th and, if the run on QBs occurs early, will be in a position to get a STUD at another position, and trade us pick #40 for Cousins.

The Browns would obviously be in a similar position with the 4th pick, but they'll be more readily accessible to a top QB.

Walter Football has for their 2/5 update:

1. Houston - Blake Bortles

2. St. Louis - Jadaveon Clowney

3. Jacksonville - Teddy Bridgewater 

4. Cleveland - Johnny Manziel

5. Oakland - Sammy Watkins

6. Atlanta - Khalil Mack

7. Tampa Bay - Jake Matthews

8. Minnesota - Derek Carr

Now, based on that Top 8 ... I could see Oakland choosing to trade their 2nd rounder for Cousins (done it before!) ... I could see the Vikings doing the same. I honestly think the Jags would take Manziel over Bridgewater because he's more of an impact guy that can sell tickets. But point being, there are plenty of talented guys falling to the latter half of the Top 10 because the QBs are forcing their way above their value. SO, one of the "top 3" will be their for Cleveland, but after that, either Oakland or Minnesota could decide to draft BPA at their spots and part with their 2nd rounder for Cousins (or trade off their Top 10 pick and get an additional 2nd rounder to recoup what they trade us.

Bottom line --- trading Cousins will get us at least 1 starter, if not 2, who will not command a lot of salary for 3-4 years.

Minnesota would trade the #40 pick in a strong draft for a player that would be the worst quarterback in their division?  Someone get them on the phone!

People are acting as if no one else knows this is a deep draft.  If there is starting quality in the second and third rounds, teams are going to keep their picks.  Minnesota needs starters as badly as the Skins do.  if #40 can be traded down to get two starters, why would Minnesota pass on that?

This last paragraph sounds more like Griffen hate more than anything.  You say Griffin hasn't proven anything?  Has Kirk?  Why is the jury out on Griffin, but not Kirk?  We've seen Kirk have 2 good games (Clev/Atl) and 2 bad games (NYG/Dall), kind of like you saying Griffin has had 1 good season and 1 bad season.  Not exactly a prestine resume either. So Griffin is not allowed to make mistakes? 

You trade him for a high draft pick because that is the correct way to build a team for the future. Belichick has been doing this for years (Matt Cassell for instance).

I don't know how you equate trading a backup as giving up on the season.  Unless Griffin retires or is traded himself, Cousins will not see the starting lineup.  Without being in offseason workouts yet, Gruden has declared Griffin the day one starter already. 

While I tend to agree the way it was worded was not the best there is a point to made both ways.

I totally agree that if RGIII hasn't proven anything then Cousins hasn't proven anything. But I will also say, that if RGIII get's a pass for last year (which I think he mostly should get. Shanny did him no favors and the team was in disarray, probably even more than we know), then we should give Kirk a pass for those last 3 game and judge both guys on 2012. 

Both showed a great amount of promise in 2012, RGIII had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever, and with limited chances Kirk played very well. RGIII obviously has the better upside. So I understand Gruden naming him the starter. But Cousins has potential also. And RGIII has had a propensity to get injured and when he was protecting against injury he didn't play very well. I think that will be different this year but there are no guarantees.

The bigger question to me is not an absolute trade him or don't. It's more obviously what can you get for him. To me, you need at least a #2 in return. Anything less is just not worth it IMO. Given the over valuation of todays QBs, it's pretty feasible we could get a 2nd and maybe more. If so, you can then get a veteran to back him up (someone on another thread suggested Tavarus (sp?) Jackson.) Just anyone but Rex. 

While I tend to agree the way it was worded was not the best there is a point to made both ways.

I totally agree that if RGIII hasn't proven anything then Cousins hasn't proven anything. But I will also say, that if RGIII get's a pass for last year (which I think he mostly should get. Shanny did him no favors and the team was in disarray, probably even more than we know), then we should give Kirk a pass for those last 3 game and judge both guys on 2012. 

Both showed a great amount of promise in 2012, RGIII had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever, and with limited chances Kirk played very well. RGIII obviously has the better upside. So I understand Gruden naming him the starter. But Cousins has potential also. And RGIII has had a propensity to get injured and when he was protecting against injury he didn't play very well. I think that will be different this year but there are no guarantees.

The bigger question to me is not an absolute trade him or don't. It's more obviously what can you get for him. To me, you need at least a #2 in return. Anything less is just not worth it IMO. Given the over valuation of todays QBs, it's pretty feasible we could get a 2nd and maybe more. If so, you can then get a veteran to back him up (someone on another thread suggested Tavarus (sp?) Jackson.) Just anyone but Rex. 

Oh, I totally agree and I've never thought bad of Kirk. I'm glad he's on the team and has been a good backup the last 2 years.  I'd hate to trade a guy like that, but you have to do what's best for the team. I definately give him a pass for the last 3 games.  In fact, I give the whole team a pass because of the Red Lobster and his antics.

And yes to no Rex Grossman.  IF, we end up trading Kirk, I'm ready to go in a different direction at backup QB.

Yeah, not buying it.

Last offseason Mort, Clayton etc had the Browns trading for Ryan Mallett based off comments Mike Lombardi made while he was working for NFLN.  It didn't happen

This offseason they have the Browns trading for Cousins based off an article Lombardi wrote about Kyle and Kirk while he was with NFLN.  Everyone's connecting dots now that Kyle's the Browns OC. 

The point is if Cousins is valued around the league and is a backup for us, we'd be foolish for keeping him.

It's luxury we don't need when we have other pressing holes to fill. A 2nd or 3rd rounder is a starter or major contributor. Cousins isn't even supposed to play. It makes no sense to keep him if you can get good value like a 2nd or 3rd.  

The most popular player in this area has always been the backup QB--from Sonny and Billy; Jay and Doug; Doug and Ryp; hell even Cary Conklin and Jeff Rutledge were seen as saviors. Remember the hullabaloo behind Collins run in 2007?

If we get a good pick for Cousins, we need to take it. There is no point in having 2 starting QBs. Trade Cousins, sign a Josh McCown or someone like that.

I'd just like to ask the people who think guys like Kolb will sour teams on trading for QBs one question. What, in the history of the league, makes you think teams learn any lessons when it comes to QBs?

Exactly.  Especially in years where the QBs are weak in the draft.  With the rookie salary cap, sure it makes it easier, but its still a 4 year contract that might not pan out.  Not saying we will get a #1 for Kirk, but personally, I think some teams would be willing to give up a #2 for Kirk, sign him to 3-4 year deal with a large signing bonus, so should it not work out, they take less cap hit if they cut him.  If they keep him, make him a back-up so be it.  

I've said before, I don't think we could get better than a 3rd or 4th for him.  I'm not a football analyst, have zero NFL connections, so it can only be pure speculation.  Now my opinions were formed before Kyle got hired as the Browns OC.  I don't think the Browns give up a #1 for Kirk.  But we know Kyle and Mike thought extremely high of Cousins and we got a steal getting him in the 4th.  

If I were the Browns, here is what I would do.  They have 2 first rounders.  Either trade their 2nd round pick (#35) straight up for Cousins or their 1st they received from Indy (#26) for our 2nd (#34) and Cousins.  *****I do not think the later will happen, but to me it seems like the only scenario we get a 1st for Kirk, they are the only team in need with that ammo and its a late first round pick*******

Use their other first round pick (#4) and either trade back/swap for another first round position (to snag what player they are looking for) or draft the best OL available or snag a top WR.  They have a top 10 defense, they beef up that o-line, snag a stud receiver and pick up a decent running back. 

I honestly think we have to put all our chips on Cleveland to make a trade.  I don't think the other teams in need of a QB are going to pull the trigger, I think they draft their QBs.  Cleveland was pissed about us swapping with STL, so there could be some bad blood.  So we have got to hope:  1] That Kyle really wants Kirk and can get in the ear of the GM/HC/Owner    2] Their past history of drafting QBs and watching them fail pushes them towards a trade with us.

I don't understand why so many in here have such absolute opinions...

I would be willing to trade Cousins for the right price. To me, a 4th isn't that price. I'd rather have a cheap and capable backup QB for 2 more years than an extra 4th round pick. The higher the pick, the more likely I am to want to make the deal as it increases the chances of legitimately filling another hole. 

As for if other QBs around the league could be just as good a backup, I'm sure there are plenty who could. But, if you trade Cousins for too low a pick only to have to spend resources on another backup, I'm not sure you're even breaking even there. 

I obviously don't know the market so I can't say with 100% conviction what the lowest deal acceptable would be. But my gut tells me to trade a decent and cheap backup for a roll of the dice in the 4th round is worthless. 

Dude rolling with Hoyer, who flashed really well last year before he got hurt, is WAY better for them than burning a high draft pick on Cousins. 

I don't think so.  Hoyer is a few years older than Kirk.  Hoyer blew out his knee.  Hoyer will be starting from scratch with Kyle's system while Kirk has already been in it for 2 years.  The talk was that it took about 2-3 years before QBs get comfortable with Shanahan's system.  That said, I think the Browns are probably going to draft a QB in the 1st round.

I remain in awe of all the people that believe trading KC is a good idea. He is a good young talented QB that had two of the three games this season won if not for our defense and a HC decision to go for 2 instead of tying the game and increasing our chances to win that game.

it is amazing to me that so many of the people calling for KC to be traded underestimate the value of now having a HC that develops QB's as his MO.

Not only would we have to insurance of having KC in the remote case of RG3 getting injured next season, but also developing KC into an more reliable and desirable QB whom may then bring a much higher value to any potential suitors.

It simply makes no sense at all to me.

I remain in awe of all the people that believe trading KC is a good idea. He is a good young talented QB that had two of the three games this season won if not for our defense and a HC decision to go for 2 instead of tying the game and increasing our chances to win that game.

it is amazing to me that so many of the people calling for KC to be traded underestimate the value of now having a HC that develops QB's as his MO.

Not only would we have to insurance of having KC in the remote case of RG3 getting injured next season, but also developing KC into an more reliable and desirable QB whom may then bring a much higher value to any potential suitors.

These people either want to trade KC to avoid a potential QB controversy or they have blind faith in our front office to actually make a good draft choice with a mid-round pick we would get for KC.

Nobody is "calling" for him to be traded.  It's pure speculation at this point.  All of us like Kirk and realize he's been a valuable and humble player for us, but if he is a good bargaining chip to help the rest of the team, you use him. 

Please see other quotes below as to why it makes sense:

Why is everyone so concerned if Griffin gets hurt that Cousins is the "only" QB in the entire NFL that could back him up and run the offense?  Are the other QBs in the league that stupid or not talented enough to come in to be the backup?  Get for real.  If we get offered a 2nd or 1st, you make the deal, don't look back and go out and get a veteran backup.  The hell with the cap ramifications.  It's not like we don't have the cap space to sign a backup QB.  You guys act like Cousins is married to Griffin and one can't function without the other.  He wasn't drafted to be his lifelong buddy or eternal backup.  The guy wants to play and if we can accomodate him and get something significant for him, you pull the trigger.

Also, his trade value drops to nothing next year.  So if he spends all meaningful playing time on the bench again this year, we're basically watching a draft pick fly out the window.

On the other hand, I don't see why anyone would pony up a first or second for him.  If Kyle wants someone who knows his system, why wouldn't he just pick up Matt Schaub for nothing and let him duke it out with Hoyer for the starting position in training camp?

You beat me to it...

People seem to think that Cousins is totally indispensable. He's a back up QB. If we can get a 2nd or a 3rd (and people thinking that is totally impossible don't pay attention--it only takes one), they take that and run. This is a very deep draft--but the QB market is thin.

Besides, I think a veteran "mentor" QB might be better for Griffin overall. Someone that can help him on and off the field...

The point is if Cousins is valued around the league and is a backup for us, we'd be foolish for keeping him. We've already put our eggs in the Griffin basket when we made the trade. If Griffin doesn't work out, this franchise is turned upside down and Cousins won't be able to save it.  

It's worth the risk to improve the team by potentially finding a 2nd or 3rd round prospect that can help than it is to keep Cousins on the off chance that Griffin doesn't work out or gets injured. Who is Drew Brees' backup? Romo sits to pee, Brady or Big Ben etc...nobody knows or cares. If they get injured, and they all are one hit away from being on IR, their seasons and teams are pretty much sunk. It's pretty rare to have a Cutler or Rodgers situation where the backup can keep the team afloat. Besides, there are plenty of vet QBs that could come in and help out in a pinch of Griffin goes down and keep the 1:1 TD:INT ratio Cousins has.

Either trade their 2nd round pick (#35) straight up for Cousins or their 1st they received from Indy (#26) for our 2nd (#34) and Cousins.  

This would be horrible for us.  Why would we trade KC just to move up 8 spots?  I don't see any situation happening that there would be someone availabe at 26 that has no chance of dropping to 34 that I would be willing to have a hole at BU QB for. 

This would be horrible for us.  Why would we trade KC just to move up 8 spots?  I don't see any situation happening that there would be someone availabe at 26 that has no chance of dropping to 34 that I would be willing to have a hole at BU QB for. 

lol, for real.  The only way that would make sense is if they also threw in a mid-round pick also.

Backup QBs are replaceable.  Young backup quarterbacks perceived to be capable of starting is a value you cannot ignore.

Cleveland would certainly be smart to stick with Hoyer. i thought he had them playing well until he got hurt.

But they aren't the only team who thinks it needs a quarterback. In reality, some teams with older Qbs may also be interested in a guy to groom for a year.

~Bang

If we were solid at all starting positions, or at least 90% of our starting positions, I'd agree with you.  But, right now, if we can trade a bench player for a potential starter, that's a risk worth taking.

Like everything else, if a team is willing to give us more value than we expect to get from Cousins, then make the trade.  I'm really not sure that's the case though.  People here have seen Cousins play in preseason and remember him winning an important game in 2012.  For the other 31 teams, however, a GM is going to need to convince the fans that Cousins is a clear starter and a winner.  Just quickly perusing the divisions, I only see one division where there is a team looking for a QB and the fans would see Cousins as being other than the worst QB in the division - that would be the AFC South.  And in that division, Houston is going to take a QB with their first pick and Jacksonville is going to wait for Winston.

Bottom line is we hope that lightening strikes.  If not, we keep KC.

Archived