Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

What information do you have that makes you think "he has more value around the league than some of you think"?  Seriously, please provide something solid in the way of a report, blog, anything.

BTW, I know NOTHING, but I do know there's no way the Skins are getting more than a 4th rounder for Cousins if they decide/try to trade him.  If they did get offered more than a 4th rounder they should take it and laugh hysterically at a team that desperate to give that much.

And yet Chris Mortenson reported this morning on ESPN that Cleveland is interested but won't go higher than a third. We will get more than a 4th, I promise you that.

And yet Chris Mortenson reported this morning on ESPN that Cleveland is interested but won't go higher than a third. We will get more than a 4th, I promise you that.

If the Browns offer us a 3rd round pick we should have a whip round on ES to get Kirk his plane ticket.

Whatever. False report or not, I am done with people claiming that he could start for this team therefore I want him off of it. I'll take pocket lint for KC.

If RG3 goes down are you saying you don't think KC could play?

Thats the issue.  RG3 came off a huge injury still didn't look 100% throughout the season and takes huge hits.  It's not is KC > RG3? Its do we have the ability to ensure RG3 will stay healthy for several years, and that is a question no matter how much you want to pontificate or predict otherwise. 

How? Can't start TWO Qbs there friend. Might as well get a ROI on one of them

Because starting caliber QBs ususally demand a first and anything less is considered a deal.  I suppose you could say we didn't need Champ when we traded him, it didn't make the Portis/Champ trade a good deal.  What happens if go for a pick and it busts then RG3 goes down.  Or who do we have as a backup QB do we go with a Vet with a higher price tag or waste another pick.

I'm just saying that you know a backup QB isn't exactly a luxury especially when you have a running, mobile QB who is built more like a trackstar than a guy who is built to take hits.  Think about it have you ever seen anyone with RG3s build in MMA or Boxing?  I haven't at higher levels. The guy is ripped without fat but as a fighter myself theres just like ways to train to take a hit, and I mean he doesn't look like he has that sort of build or has built those stabilizing "absorbing" muscle.  Just look at like an MMA or street fighter solar plexius they don't look like normal guys they stick out.  You punch me in the solar plexus it doesn't hurt.  In fighting we call it having a jaw.  but it goes beyond just taking punches to the head, its about being able to absorb impact without stressing critical or core areas of the body.  It takes a while to train your body for that but I mean I think thats why if you put Lebron in the ring with an old washed up tyson, tyson is going to be victorious.  He has the body and mindset to hit take hits, and stay standing.  Believe me growing up in Bethesda, close to Tysons house, Lebron is a giant compared to him. 

RG3 has the mindset to perform miracles even on broken plays and puts his body out there in a way I'm not sure I'm comfortable with not having a back up qb. I'd feel alot better to see RG3 a bit bigger, maybe a bit of fat and clearly with more stabilizing and impact training.  Have him train in MMA style for a year or two I'd argue it would help extend his career.

Why?  So we can destroy quality depth at QB for another Josh LeRibus?

Not every third round pick turns out that way. Not to mention Josh L. was a monster reach in the third and he's performed about as well as I expected him too. Was a bad pick at the time and that hasn't changed one bit. That still doesn't mean we can't hit on a third rounder ala Jordan Reed.

Cliffmark ... no way can you compare a QB to a CB. Only 1 QB sees the field, in an ideal world. 

I get the desire to have a competent backup. BUT if you can get a 2nd rounder or higher for your backup, you MAKE THE MOVE. 

99% of the time, if you lose your starting QB, your post-season and Super Bowl hopes are dashed. Only cases that might not be true for = Rams with Kurt Warner stepping in for Trent Green and Tom Brady for Drew Bledsoe.

So yes, it's nice to have a competent backup if you lose your QB for a game or two. But no need to hold on to a guy you can get a 2nd or higher for. 

Not every third round pick turns out that way. Not to mention Josh L. was a monster reach in the third and he's performed about as well as I expected him too. Was a bad pick at the time and that hasn't changed one bit. That still doesn't mean we can't hit on a third rounder ala Jordan Reed.

That's true, but my confidence in this front office making a good pick in the 3rd round is shaky, so I'm not so hot on trading Kirk for a mid-round pick. We have done well with drafting TEs in the 3rd round, but TE is a position that usually has quality depth in those mid-rounds.

Cliffmark ... no way can you compare a QB to a CB. Only 1 QB sees the field, in an ideal world. 

I get the desire to have a competent backup. BUT if you can get a 2nd rounder or higher for your backup, you MAKE THE MOVE. 

99% of the time, if you lose your starting QB, your post-season and Super Bowl hopes are dashed. Only cases that might not be true for = Rams with Kurt Warner stepping in for Trent Green and Tom Brady for Drew Bledsoe.

So yes, it's nice to have a competent backup if you lose your QB for a game or two. But no need to hold on to a guy you can get a 2nd or higher for. 

I'd be ok with a Second or a First and then a good pick with that.  If we go for "pocket lint" just to move KC I think that would be a mistake.  with the portis/champ trade IIRC we had a few ok CBs at that time, the thought was it wasn't going to affect our skill set at that position greatly but that we NEEDED a RB to win.  It seems pretty close to "Getting rid of Cousins won't affect our performance and we need ______ to win".  

I'd argue KC could have been that Superbowl winning backup in 2012 he just seems to have it vs a Rex who could win a few games but isn't the answer. I think KC is going to be better than Kurt Warner, at least could be better. 

I don't even know if Rex makes the team next year.  I mean KC is cheaper than Rex is going to be. 

If Cousins becomes another Brady or Rodgers after we trade him I don't what I'll do.   :unsure:

It would suck, no doubt, especially if RG3 doesn't live up to what we hope.  If Kirk goes to the right situation, I can see him being like a Matt Hasselbeck during his prime years in Seattle.

I do not want Blackmon. He is a head case of the worst kind. He has talent to no end, but I think his head will keep him from ever being of ant real value.

I am not fond of trading him. We need a good backup and KC already has 2 yrs with the team. As for people deciding how good or bad he is based on 3 scrub games at the end of a disaster year for the team, that's just not enough data. He played pretty well in 2012 when the games meant something.

Again...trade TYPE.

The players mentioned are irrelevant. ..let's discuss whether a player + pick swap deal is more plausible, & realistic to consider.

Of course nobody wants Blackmon...heck, some don't want Gordon. That's not the point.

(Sorry mods for double post...working with cell phone here)

I would have to argue that Jordan Reed, nor many 3rd round picks are more valuable than a quality backup QB. You have to think pretty hard about trading a quality QB. The value dwarfs other positions in general. I think the reality is that he will be more valuable to us as a back up, than to another team. No way I trade him for less than a second pick (which I doubt anyone will offer) and I would hesitate to take that.

Exactly.  There are plenty of veteran QBs out there that could do what Kirk does and more. 

I heard the reports that Browns may be interested in Kirk but Mortensen actually said the Cleveland said they won't go higher than a 3rd?  Really?  I didn't hear that, and can't find that report anywhere.

If this Mortenson report is true, I'd say you would have to entertain talks with Cleveland for KC. However, it'd be nothing more than exploratory unless Cleveland is ready to blow the pants off Allen with a "can't refuse" offer. Like many, if the Browns opt to deal us a 2nd, you almost have to certainly consider the merits of such a deal.

Let's face it, should the Browns pony up a second, I'd say you have to jump on it. IMO, we're not going to get much more for him (and Cleveland might be the only team in the entire Nfl to give us that :P ). The idea of keeping KC as our backup is a definite consideration as we're not sure of how RG3 fares this season and the injury situation that accompanies him. However, with the multiple holes we need to fill this season, an extra early 2nd rounder would significantly help to ease that burden.

If we keep KC this season, I won't be upset. But I think it's more than prudent to hear out Cleveland to see what we might be able to recoup in compensation for KC. He will end up walking regardless when his contract expires. We need to add many pieces to this team in order to field a competitive team. Cleveland certainly presents an opportunity to assist us in that building even if we're shipping KC off. We can always shop for a journeyman backup in FA to fill that void and add another piece to the puzzle thanks to an extra pick.

I wouldn't do Cousins JUST for a 3rd this year. Not enough. However, I'd be interested in one of two other options:

1) A 3rd this year and a conditional 3rd next year (Bump to 2nd if Browns make the playoffs and Cousins starts X games)

2) A 3rd and 4th for Kirk, as Cleveland has 2 of both. Perhaps Indy's 3rd (19th of round 3) and Clevelands own 4th (6th of round 4)

Essentially, a pick to "replace" Cousins and an extra player. Could take a project QB like Boyd, Thomas, McCarron? in the 4th or 5th to replace Cousins,

As I said, I don't like JUST getting a 3rd for Cousins. I think Cousins is worth more than an unknown 3rd rounder that would cause us to have a hole at backup QB. If you get two picks for him, then you at least get an extra player AND replace that hole you just created.

-------

Now, all that said...I think the Browns take Manziel if he's still on the board and they end up having a top 10 offense in yards next year with Kyle Shanahan bringing the offense from 2011 over and pairing it up with Manziel.

Archived