Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

What? I think outside of the roller rink it’s been awesome! 

I thought the 2020 and monkey ones were decent but the others just didn't do much for me.  never could get into the lethal weapon/movie making episodes they do so i didn't watch that one and skate rink sucked but maybe need to watch the Ireland episodes again.  

3 hours ago, steve09ru said:

I thought the 2020 and monkey ones were decent but the others just didn't do much for me.  never could get into the lethal weapon/movie making episodes they do so i didn't watch that one and skate rink sucked but maybe need to watch the Ireland episodes again.  

They brought back Alvin and Pepper Jack! I think this season is already miles better than the last couple.

• Like 1

I watched the final episode of WOT season one last night.  I was thoroughly underwhelmed.  I liked the beginning of the season, but it never seemed to come together.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that the first season was an anomaly due to covid shutdowns and the Matt actor throwing a wrench into everything.  If what we have seen so far is what the show runners were trying to do... I hope Amazon just sells the story and some other studio reboots the whole thing.

On 12/23/2021 at 4:38 PM, max21 said:

Anyone seen the new season of Yellowstone? I feel like it’s pretty boring, starting to lose a bit of interest 

Yes I'm up to date and it ****ing owns.  It has had like 2 episodes that were pretty slow though.  Any episode that focuses on Casey's family is bottom tier and they have had at least 1 of those.

5 hours ago, TK said:

Just finished Cobra Kai. Can we hurry up & get Season 5 now? :) 

I predict that Tory's father is Mike Barnes from Karate Kid III.  Or possibly Miguel's father.  No way he is not introduced in season 5.  

Spoiler

Especially after Daniel's wife asked him if there were any more Cobra Kai from his past that would show up.  No way Mike Barnes is not in season 5.

On 12/29/2021 at 11:48 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

Watched the second season of The Witcher.  It was alright but didn't feel as good as season one.   Apparently, viewership is sharply down this season; so probably won't get a third season.

The Boba Fett show and Season 4 of Cobra Kai drops this week; maybe today?

Season 3 of The Witcher is already confirmed. It’s been well received aside from the usual people complaining about changes to the source material.  

Cobra Kai!  

It's still good, but seeing Kreese and Silver getting worked up about kids karate tournaments is getting a little silly.  Right now, Silver just said something like "I want to finish what we started."

That said, I think Kreese is one of the all time best bad guys.  And he's done it all without ever throwing a punch.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:06 PM, Nerm said:

I watched the final episode of WOT season one last night.  I was thoroughly underwhelmed.  I liked the beginning of the season, but it never seemed to come together.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that the first season was an anomaly due to covid shutdowns and the Matt actor throwing a wrench into everything.  If what we have seen so far is what the show runners were trying to do... I hope Amazon just sells the story and some other studio reboots the whole thing.

Yeah the 8th episode was just bad.  Worse than I expected.  I thought the seventh episode was strong and it had me looking forward to the finale, so that was a major letdown.

It was pretty clear from episode 1 that this wouldn't be a faithful adaptation, which could have been OK, but they really butchered some of the main characters and it feels like that writer's room doesn't really get or even like the main male characters of the series.  Turning Lews Therin's saving the world into some sort of preachy feminist chastisement was bull****.  Inventing some nameless Amyrlin who knew about the Dark One's counterstroke and warned Lews Therin it would happen completely undermines the treachery and brilliance of the counterstroke.  This wasn't supposed to be some sort of parable against masculine arrogance, pretty sure that there were supposed to be female Aes Sedai contingent but they were delayed, and them not being at Shayol Ghul for the assault probably saved Saidar.  If there was a parable in the story of the Aes Sedai and Dark One in the Age of Legends, it was against scientific overreach.  And it was Lanfear, a woman, who caused the bore in the Dark One's prison.

The show is also completely oblivious to the importance of male mentorship for the three main characters of the story in their boyhood.  They aged them up and cut their mentors out of the story.  Thom's adaptation was awful and Lan has no relationship with Rand at all so far, everything he's done has been in service to Nynaeve and Morraine.  They cut Elyas Machera entirely (and also most of Perrin's storyline from the first book and thus had to give him some dumbass triangle storyline to try and salvage him as a B list character).  And another thing that bothers me is the way they did Agelmar Jagad.  They almost got his fatalism right, only to ruin his character in some dumb, poorly portrayed siege sequence.  They don't understand the importance of the Great Captains, and they also don't seem to understand RJ's military realism either.  RJ was a military academy alum and veteran and genuine military buff.  He went to the trouble to instill military logic in his story.  They didn't respect that.  And giving their main character's climactic heroic moment to two extras, a throwaway character from the second book, and Nynaeve and Egwaine is unbelievably disappointing.

And beyond issues with the adaptation, the show has absolutely brutalized the trope of depicting main characters getting violently killed and then immediately undoing it.  Having Nynaeve get burned out and die and then get magically healed by Egwene for no clear reason was just an awful, indefensible choice.  The climactic final battle was worse than the minor battle in the first episode.  They had a perfect opportunity for an epic fight scene between Padan Fain's fades and the Shinaran honor guard + Perrin and Loial teed up that they absolutely flubbed.  Had the dudes get killed off camera and yet they felt free to spend a jillion dollars on a special camera to make up a fight scene for Tigraine that lasted like 10 minutes in a previous episode?  Ugh.

I'm with you, I hope the show just went off the track mostly because of the situation with Mat's actor and the 8th episode is not a picture of things to come.  Because if it is, then it's going to be crap.

Was saving a lot of TV to binge watch over the break...lots of let downs so far, and one pretty big surprise.

Lost in Space: ugh

WOT: taken as its own show with no relation to the books...its barely watchable trash.  Taken with relation to the books...its completely unwatchable trash.  How this received any comparisons to Thrones, outside of the superficially obvious, is beyond me.  Sadly amazon has already decided to make a season 2 because apparently they weren't done ****ting all over the source material.

Expanse: pretty weak so far.  Not as bad as Lost in Space or WOT, to be sure, but no where near the first few seasons.  A few episodes left...maybe it picks up.

Witcher: not bad...having said that I kind of expected the story to meander a bit this season since they had to build the father/daughter relationship between Ciri and Geralt.  Some of the lore gets a little convoluted and given short shrift as well.  So I'll call it a solid outing, but not as good as the first season.

Book of Boba Fett: only one episode...a little weak, but maybe it heads somewhere.

And then there was the surprise: Arcane.  Very good.  Good story.  Beautiful art style.  Just very well done.

I like wheel of time.  It has very little to do with the book at this point, but it’s a lot of fun.  

I loved Witcher season 2.  If I have a complaint it’s that they’re trying to make mages and Yennifer too sympathetic and likable.  The mages in general are far too human and kind in the show.  The reason absolutely everyone fears and hates them (including Witchers) is because they’re basically all uncontrolled sociopaths with magic.  Yennifer, in the books, stands out in that crowd as being particularly manipulative and uncaring.  

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 11:48 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

Watched the second season of The Witcher.  It was alright but didn't feel as good as season one.   Apparently, viewership is sharply down this season; so probably won't get a third season.

Hard disagree. This is better than season 1 by virtue of not confusingly jumping back and forth in time. I wish they did more episodes like the first one with the man warthog though. More of a mixture of continuing the story and side adventures in the ****ed up world.

29 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Hard disagree. This is better than season 1 by virtue of not confusingly jumping back and forth in time.

Spoiler

I absolutely loved when they went meta on this in the second season and had the guard criticizing the bard: "Not your strongest...took me to the fourth verse to understand they were different time lines".

I actually quite enjoyed the different time lines from the first season.

• Like 1