Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

28 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Ah man- I loved the finale- won’t spoil but feel like it definitely did it’s job and more

Spoiler

My only issue with the finale was not getting the Dexter/Batista showdown that they built up during the last episode.  I still give the finale an A, would have been an A+ had we gotten that confrontation with Batista.  Angel looked pissed when it clicked that Dexter had killed Maria and it would have been really cool to see that reunion.

• Like 1

Wrapped up The Expanse. The seasons usually have a bit of a slow period in them before the action hits, this one was the same. With only 6 episodes instead of 10, it felt a bit down compared to other seasons, but it still hit its high mark at the end.

What has me really down is that even if they do find a new way to bring the Expanse back to a TV or even a movie screen, it's going to be a while. Nevertheless, it was an excellent show and I'm going to miss the thrill of looking forward to the next season.

Slight spoiler, but shows the love that the creators put into the show.

Spoiler

The strike team names are all major Sci-fi characters, like C(ommander) Shepard, E(llen) Ripley, etc.

w6qbCv6.png

Edited by NickyJ

8 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Wrapped up The Expanse. The seasons usually have a bit of a slow period in them before the action hits, this one was the same. With only 6 episodes instead of 10, it felt a bit down compared to other seasons, but it still hit its high mark at the end.

What has me really down is that even if they do find a new way to bring the Expanse back to a TV or even a movie screen, it's going to be a while. Nevertheless, it was an excellent show and I'm going to miss the thrill of looking forward to the next season.

Slight spoiler, but shows the love that the creators put into the show.

Reveal hidden contents

The strike team names are all major Sci-fi characters, like C(ommander) Shepard, E(llen) Ripley, etc.

w6qbCv6.png

Spoiler

it was a fine conclusion but was very anticlimactic and disappointing that they come up with a random idea and 30 seconds later Marco is killed by that idea with no buildup or fanfare. They also did fake out deaths too much. I don’t know how Amos is there sacrificing himself to save Bobbie and being riddled with bullets and then just stands up and is fine.they did the same thing with peaches seemingly sacrificing herself just to get knocked in the head and be ok. It was weird  

this one episode should have been 3 episodes just so that each moment could breathe and have the character moments. Hate that they shortened the final season and it felt rushed, especially this episode.  

43 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Hide contents

it was a fine conclusion but was very anticlimactic and disappointing that they come up with a random idea and 30 seconds later Marco is killed by that idea with no buildup or fanfare. They also did fake out deaths too much. I don’t know how Amos is there sacrificing himself to save Bobbie and being riddled with bullets and then just stands up and is fine.they did the same thing with peaches seemingly sacrificing herself just to get knocked in the head and be ok. It was weird  

this one episode should have been 3 episodes just so that each moment could breathe and have the character moments. Hate that they shortened the final season and it felt rushed, especially this episode.  

Spoiler

Yeah, there were some moments that didn't quite fit. Bobbie's invincible power-armor needing Amos to shield it was weird. Person-to-person combat has seemed a bit off since Amazon took over, maybe even longer. Last season when Amos, Clarrisa, and Erich were fighting to get to the spaceship to escape Earth, the fighting on the way to the bunker felt poorly executed.

The killing of Marco didn't bother me too much. It's been a while since I read the book it happened in, but I think it was roughly the same. They were out of violent options, so with time running out, they gambled that triggering the ring would do the job. Fillip's exit made more sense in the book though. Instead of dipping out in a repair skiff in the middle of a flight, he just quietly walked out and disappeared at one of the Belter stations when the ship stopped to refuel.

I absolutely would have preferred a full season. But if I compare it to another a shortened final season like GOT's, they pulled it off much better. The Strange Dogs segments are kind of what hurt the most. They're a glimpse of what comes far in the future.

Edited by NickyJ

17 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Peacemaker on HBO has 3 episodes out for the premiere. It’s the John Cena suicide squad spin-off. I think it’s pretty damn funny. Also looks like it’s going to have a lot of heart 

The dancing during the opening credits is fire. The cast seems pretty strong.

Station Eleven.  Top 15 show of the 21st century.  I haven't been this emotionally drawn into a series since probably Breaking Bad.  It's truly a masterpiece of television making.  It's probably the most intelligent and unique "end of the world" show out there.  Directed by Hiro Murai (who also directs Donald Glover's "Atlanta"), the cinematography is breathtaking.

A global pandemic wipes out 98% of humanity in weeks.  20 years later, Mackenzie Davis is part of a traveling symphony and theater troupe that are trying to keep art and music alive in the new world.  The show bounces back and forth from the first 100 days to 20 years into the future as we meet the core group of characters. 

There's plenty of graphic violence and dangerous people along the way (Mackenzie Davis is basically Magua when it comes to the blade work 🔪), but this show focuses more on relationships and resilience.     

I would expect Mackenzie Davis to be peppered with nominations for her performance in this series. 

I beg my fellow ES television enthusiasts to give one episode a shot.  It's warm, uplifting, feel-good television without being corny.  As my faith in humanity has been dwindling these last few months, Station Eleven was right on time for my spirits.  I needed this show ❤️🙏🏽

The two official HBO trailers paint incredibly different pictures, so I posted both because I couldn't choose one.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Always wanted to read that book Chew. Wonder if the tv show differs...

The general consensus on the StationEleven subreddit seems to be that the show stayed true to the book but also created a few additional characters that worked well for a television series.  

Patrick Somerville, the showrunner for HBO, actually texted back and forth with the author Emily St. John Mandel for weeks during the early days of writing the show, bouncing ideas around.  Mandel said she was very pleased with HBO's final product. 

Didn't mean to ramble on so much with my first post LOL.  But Station Eleven is one of those gems of a show that only comes around once every 4-5 years, and I want my ES friends to experience it too. 

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

Watching now:

The Last Kingdom - Just started season 4. Scratches the Game of Thrones itch minus dragons. Pretty awesome. Uhtred is a badass.

Arcane - I don't like animated stuff aside from Invincible. I like this. 

Book of Boba Fett - It's okay. Hoping they're playing the long game and setting up a great back end of the season.

Peacemaker - Absolutely awesome. It's funny, strange and quirky. And they made Peacemaker so much cooler now than in the Suicide Squad movie. Highly recommend. Only 3 eps in.

Waiting to watch the last season of expanse until I finish all of this stuff up. 

On 1/8/2022 at 8:16 AM, Bang said:

Been watching "Evil" on Paramount+.
Not bad. Entertaining.

~Bang

I started watching it when it first came out, I liked it, but got side tracked with other shows and put it on the back burner.  

On 1/10/2022 at 7:58 AM, skinsmarydu said:

I can't wait for The Real Murders of Atlanta on Oxygen.  Starts on the 16th.  I've been here for 33 years, so I should be familiar with most of them. 

I'm just happy that Atlanta season 3 is dropping in March.  Loved that show.

• Like 1