Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

Ted Lasso is ****ing magic. Every week they'll do something on there that will get you right in the feels in a good way. It's completely different from anything else & may be the best written show in it's genre. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TK said:

Ted Lasso is ****ing magic. Every week they'll do something on there that will get you right in the feels in a good way. It's completely different from anything else & may be the best written show in it's genre. 

I, for one, have had a hole in my media consumption for something that's happy and feels good. Tad Lasso fills that need very nicely. 

Enough with the overwhelming grittiness that is most of what we have to choose from anymore. 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 12:41 PM, TK said:

it really is something special and every episode impresses with its quality writing and the love it shows it’s characters. I don’t know how they keep doing it but it never misses 

On 8/18/2021 at 12:45 AM, PartyPosse said:

Has anyone watched Fauda? I just finished Hit and Run on Netflix and Fauda is supposed to be a million times better.

It's amazing! I watched it in Hebrew and just followed the subtitles. In my opinion, it's actually closer related to Jack Ryan, but better. Awesome show! I finished it over a year ago and have been anxiously awaiting a new season to pop

Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix.  Jeepers, this show wild!  Easily the darkest and most graphic show Netflix has ever made.

Basic premise: young 20-something filmmaker (Rosa Salazar, Maze Runner trilogy) moves to LA and takes a meeting with a well-known producer (Eric Lange) about her film.  She gets swindled in the contract she signs and has her movie stolen from her.  

She is approached by a witch (Catherine Keener, who is amazing in this) that offers to help get her movie back and make the producer suffer.  Absolute chaos ensues. 

It's 8 episodes total, I'm through three so far.  I'm highly entertained.  Graphic violence, creatures from parallel dimensions, lots of dark humor, witchcraft.  Really fun show to watch, the story moves along quickly to keep your attention. 

It's like Mulholland Drive and True Blood had a Netflix baby.  

it's really graphic. ultra violent.  

div widget

Edited by Chew

Netflix recommended this show, "Click Bait" yesterday.  I was working from home, decided to throw it on.

I've got mixed feelings on this.  It's 8 or 9 episodes and it's about this guy (Vinny Chase from Entourage) who goes missing and then winds up on a viral video.  He's been kidnapped and once the video gets 5 million views, whoever kidnapped him is going to kill him.  Vinny Chase from Entourage, beaten and bloody, is holding up signs that say things like "I'm a bad person," "I killed a woman," etc.  His family (wife, two kids, and his sister) are mortified, apparently Vinny Chase from Entourage was a saint.  **** comes to light, turns out that he really wasn't.  Or was he?  He winds up dead, big investigation ensues, etc.  Vinny Chase from Entourage's sister is hot on the case, she's doing more work than the cops although the cops are capable.  The media gets involved, it turns into a bit of a fiasco.

The thing I liked about it is that each episode dealt with the situation from the point of view of each of the characters.  One episode dealt with the detective, one episode dealt with the sister, his wife, etc.  The acting was pretty decent, the way it was shot was not bad.  

So it's a mystery, it's one of the mysteries where you're learning along with the characters and you don't have the inside information on who did it.  You're playing the guessing game as to who it could be, which is fine.

Fair warning, during a mystery I'm usually not trying to figure out who's the one who did it, I'm typically along for the ride and I want to be entertained.  I'm NEVER the one to be like "this person did it," and be right.  I fall for everything and am gullible.  Surprising, right?

But this show did hook me from the perspective that I was trying to figure out who it could be.  I'm not exactly sure why.  And it did a good job of making me think it could have been anyone.  For a second, I thought it could have been one of the sons or his sister.

And this is where I have an issue.

Spoiler alert ahead:

Spoiler

Okay, seriously, what in the ****?  What the ****ing ****?  You make the kidnapper/murderer someone who, I'd argue, isn't even a tertiary character.  Like, this person doesn't get any significant screen time until the LAST EPISODE.  I kind of want to go back and watch it a second time to see if there are any clues but I also don't want to invest that amount of time.  Like, when she opened the door to the house and the son was there to confront her, I was like "Who the **** is that?  Am I supposed to know who that is?"

And on top of that, we come to find out that Vinny Chase from Entourage actually ESCAPED his kidnappers and was on the run.  Does he run home?  **** no he doesn't!  No, he's all beat to ****, and instead of running home to tell his wife and kids that he's alright, he goes to the person's house who's been ****ing with him and destroying his life.  Granted, this person doesn't impose a physical threat to him, from that perspective I can kind of understand it.  But Vinny Chase from Entourage, what the ****?

Last but not least, the plot turns into a catfishing scheme.  I guess catfishing is still a thing, but maybe this show would have had more of an impact 6 or 7 years ago when catfishing was a THING and someone like Manti Te'o was getting duped.  

I'll be curious if any of you end up watching it and feeling the same way.  And apparently this was the first season, not a limited series so I'd be also curious to see what happens in season 2 because I don't really see what else needs to be said.

I'm giving this show a B-.  If you don't have anything else pressing to watch, you might want to give it a try.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The cancelled Manifest has been given a 20 episode, final season by Netflix.

I am shocked. I've got a few episodes to go of season 3, and I don't understand how it could get a big enough following to schedule another season of it.

Edited by NickyJ

The Movies That Made Us on Netflix.  Go ahead and toss this one in the queue.  Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, Die Hard, Ghostbusters.  Top-tier mega classics.  Each episode of the show focuses on one movie from the 80s or 90s and has a lot of the old cast, production folks, writers etc telling stories about how the movie got the green light and funny moments from set.  

As a xennial obsessed with 80s/90s culture & nostalgia, this is such a feel-good docuseries that took me back to simpler times.  Very entertaining.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Netflix recommended this show, "Click Bait" yesterday.  I was working from home, decided to throw it on.

I've got mixed feelings on this.  It's 8 or 9 episodes and it's about this guy (Vinny Chase from Entourage) who goes missing and then winds up on a viral video.  He's been kidnapped and once the video gets 5 million views, whoever kidnapped him is going to kill him.  Vinny Chase from Entourage, beaten and bloody, is holding up signs that say things like "I'm a bad person," "I killed a woman," etc.  His family (wife, two kids, and his sister) are mortified, apparently Vinny Chase from Entourage was a saint.  **** comes to light, turns out that he really wasn't.  Or was he?  He winds up dead, big investigation ensues, etc.  Vinny Chase from Entourage's sister is hot on the case, she's doing more work than the cops although the cops are capable.  The media gets involved, it turns into a bit of a fiasco.

The thing I liked about it is that each episode dealt with the situation from the point of view of each of the characters.  One episode dealt with the detective, one episode dealt with the sister, his wife, etc.  The acting was pretty decent, the way it was shot was not bad.  

So it's a mystery, it's one of the mysteries where you're learning along with the characters and you don't have the inside information on who did it.  You're playing the guessing game as to who it could be, which is fine.

Fair warning, during a mystery I'm usually not trying to figure out who's the one who did it, I'm typically along for the ride and I want to be entertained.  I'm NEVER the one to be like "this person did it," and be right.  I fall for everything and am gullible.  Surprising, right?

But this show did hook me from the perspective that I was trying to figure out who it could be.  I'm not exactly sure why.  And it did a good job of making me think it could have been anyone.  For a second, I thought it could have been one of the sons or his sister.

And this is where I have an issue.

Spoiler alert ahead:

Hide contents

Okay, seriously, what in the ****?  What the ****ing ****?  You make the kidnapper/murderer someone who, I'd argue, isn't even a tertiary character.  Like, this person doesn't get any significant screen time until the LAST EPISODE.  I kind of want to go back and watch it a second time to see if there are any clues but I also don't want to invest that amount of time.  Like, when she opened the door to the house and the son was there to confront her, I was like "Who the **** is that?  Am I supposed to know who that is?"

And on top of that, we come to find out that Vinny Chase from Entourage actually ESCAPED his kidnappers and was on the run.  Does he run home?  **** no he doesn't!  No, he's all beat to ****, and instead of running home to tell his wife and kids that he's alright, he goes to the person's house who's been ****ing with him and destroying his life.  Granted, this person doesn't impose a physical threat to him, from that perspective I can kind of understand it.  But Vinny Chase from Entourage, what the ****?

Last but not least, the plot turns into a catfishing scheme.  I guess catfishing is still a thing, but maybe this show would have had more of an impact 6 or 7 years ago when catfishing was a THING and someone like Manti Te'o was getting duped.  

I'll be curious if any of you end up watching it and feeling the same way.  And apparently this was the first season, not a limited series so I'd be also curious to see what happens in season 2 because I don't really see what else needs to be said.

I'm giving this show a B-.  If you don't have anything else pressing to watch, you might want to give it a try.  

I thought it was a good show.  There won't be a season 2, it's a limited series.

Spoiler

To answer your question regarding why he didn't run home after being kidnapped.  He said that only one person knew about his wife having an affair and he knew that the lady that worked with him was that person and had set up his accounts and passwords and had access to his personal photos (the ones that were photo shopped on the fake accounts).  

When he got free, he went to confront her to find out why she did what she did and basically was destroying his life.  Ideal?  No, but it works.

11 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I thought it was a good show.  There won't be a season 2, it's a limited series.

Reveal hidden contents

To answer your question regarding why he didn't run home after being kidnapped.  He said that only one person knew about his wife having an affair and he knew that the lady that worked with him was that person and had set up his accounts and passwords and had access to his personal photos (the ones that were photo shopped on the fake accounts).  

When he got free, he went to confront her to find out why she did what she did and basically was destroying his life.  Ideal?  No, but it works.

I thought it was pretty good overall.  I just didn't like the aforementioned issue I had with the whodunit.  

Spoiler

IMO, you have a mystery and you want people to try and figure out who did the crime.  Part of the fun of being a writer (I'm guessing) is to be able to play with the audience and lead them down different paths as to who the culprit might be.  

This show did an adequate job of doing that, but only to a certain point.  It made you think it could be any number of people, however when the person who was behind it all was revealed, IMO it wasn't gratifying.  It spent 7 or 8 episodes building equity into each of the characters and then all of a sudden it didn't seem to matter.

In regards to not running home, I get that too.  And I remembered his explanation.   I just didn't find it totally believable, although I can understand that he was so pissed off that he wanted to confront her first.  But to me, the move is to run home, let your wife and kids know you made it out okay.  Get cleaned up, then go over to the persons house who's ruined your life.  

You're right, however, it did work for what the show needed.  The show needed to have him die in mysterious circumstances, not have his wife know that he made it out alive and was going over to confront that weird woman.  Totally different show, totally different plot if that happened.

• Like 1