Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

18 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I've been re-watching the Simpsons with my wife and I've noticed it too. I personally classify it as "devolving" because I miss the idea that you can poke fun at things without it meaning you hate those same things. There was a brief time there (at least I think there was) where we could point out and joke about differences (sexuality, religion, race, etc.) without it ending up on the news. I liked those times...and not just dishing it out, but receiving those jokes about me as well. 

I hear you, so you're saying the "devolving" action is people being unable to differentiate between using a person's differences or flaws for entertainment/humor versus hating them?

For me, I see the whole making fun of each other thing as low hanging fruit entertainment. There are other ways to find or create humor than making jokes about a person's sexuality, religion, race, etc. and I don't think there was ever a time when everybody was cool with being made fun of. Instead what was more likely the case is that entertainment and media coverage was dictated by people who had similar levels of callousness and that is changing now as society changes and works on re-orienting itself.

And it's not just that people are being overly sensitive or "weak". One of the things I liked most about being around certain sections of federal prison was how hyper respectful everyone was of each others space and identity. Violations were handled in such an extreme manner that it kept everyone considerate and on point around each other and I wouldn't consider those guys weak for that. It seems that people on the outside are learning to have boundaries and speak up more about what they don't like, while handling it in a less violent way than those on the inside.

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Because social commentary and commentary on the naive perceptions by Americans is actually a healthy way of dissecting how we view the way we think. Context should matter but it doesnt. The emphasis should be on Homer’s outdated and naive views on others and how foolish it looks, but that aspect seems to get completely ignored when the immediate reaction is “oh you can’t say that!” It’s why CRT is such a hot topic. Easier to just pretend that racism is not a very prevalent force in America than try to understand it’s history. That’s why it’s a de-evolution in my mind.

I'm not sure everyone would agree with the way you're framing the simpsons and the high-brow intent that the simpson's creators had when making whatever jokes we might be talking about. When I came into this thread it was more about people complaining that they can't have the jokes themselves on tv anymore, rather than lamenting the loss of social commentary. There are a lot of people complaining nowadays about standards being raised and having to be less of an asshole to others and more considerate.

I will say that there is a way to thread the needle and have a social commentary about our past in such a way that points it out as something to be moved on from. And I will also agree that context should matter and people should be able to explain themselves, but on the other hand people also have the right to say "I don't like being messed with, to entertain yourself".

10 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

'm not sure everyone would agree with the way you're framing the simpsons and the high-brow intent that the simpson's creators had when making whatever jokes we might be talking about. When I came into this thread it was more about people complaining that they can't have the jokes themselves on tv anymore, rather than lamenting the loss of social commentary. There are a lot of people complaining nowadays about standards being raised and having to be less of an asshole to others and more considerate.

I will say that there is a way to thread the needle and have a social commentary about our past in such a way that points it out as something to be moved on from. And I will also agree that context should matter and people should be able to explain themselves, but on the other hand people also have the right to say "I don't like being messed with, to entertain yourself".

The Simpsons is all about social commentary on Americana and particularly about the nuclear family. I mean he works in a nuclear plant for god's sake. He, his family, and the other players on the show are a representation of the american people. In nowhere town USA, they're misogynist, racist, naive and delusional. By ignoring that reality you're not really doing anyone a favor. The exaggerated manner in which they portray those characteristics make it inherently easier to see how ridiculous and insensitive they are. It's neither high-brow nor lo-brow. That's the context, yet the uber-"progressive" that just go around looking for reasons to feel insulted or victimized don't care about context. Lord knows what would happen if Blazing Saddles came out today. That's the de-evolution. An incapability to think deeper or more independently of the masses. Just a mob mentality.

Edited by PartyPosse
  • Like 1

Sorry if these have already been suggested but two great shows, at least for me: 

Queen's Gambit 7 Episodes on Netflix - may be one of hebest mini-series I have seen in a long time. It's a little slow to start but by the middle of he second episode you are completely hooked. It's abotu a young girl who dares enter the world of championship chess. 

Sex Education - Season 3 drops Sept 17th on Netflix - It's around a teenager whose mom is a sex therapist. I was skeptical when Netflix first recommended it but once I started watching, it's one of the best dramedies I have seen. Warning, it also has some meaningful story lines, especially the 2nd season. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Ted Lasso just gets better and better. That Roy Kent/JT payoff was almost two whole seasons in the making for 10 seconds of heart melting character development 

That was awesome.

And the swerve with the dating app is playing out better than I thought it would.

This show is so special that it's hard to put into words how good great excellent it is. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TK said:

That was awesome.

And the swerve with the dating app is playing out better than I thought it would.

This show is so special that it's hard to put into words how good great excellent it is. 

I’ve been telling my nephew and brother about it a lot and I feel like I’m overselling it and setting them up to be disappointed but then I remember I was told by a friend about it so much that I actually hated Ted lasso before I even watched it lol. I wanted to not like it since I’d heard how amazing it was for so long and I’m thinking there is no way it’s really that good and then I watch it and immediately fall in love because it’s just perfect. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I’ve been telling my nephew and brother about it a lot and I feel like I’m overselling it and setting them up to be disappointed but then I remember I was told by a friend about it so much that I actually hated Ted lasso before I even watched it lol. I wanted to not like it since I’d heard how amazing it was for so long and I’m thinking there is no way it’s really that good and then I watch it and immediately fall in love because it’s just perfect. 

Big Sky (returns at the end of the month) was prolly the show I looked forward to every week. Ted Lasso knocked em right off the pitch. Oh, & fwiw, I ****ing hate soccer, but I LOVE me some Ted Lasso. :) 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 3:32 AM, PartyPosse said:

I’m so late to the game on Bosch

Me too.  I've been crawling my way through the series even though I like it and find it gripping.  It was kind of that way with Treme for me too.  Brain recognizes that its great but I just have to get into the mood to watch it and there are usually easier diversions.

44 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Me too.  I've been crawling my way through the series even though I like it and find it gripping.  It was kind of that way with Treme for me too.  Brain recognizes that its great but I just have to get into the mood to watch it and there are usually easier diversions.

I never watched Treme but I know it’s the same guy. It’s definitely a slow burn but the series seems to have the formula for how to end each episode to lure you in.

7 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I never watched Treme but I know it’s the same guy. It’s definitely a slow burn but the series seems to have the formula for how to end each episode to lure you in.

Treme is great.  Has the kind of high brow substance of The Wire, but is typically more whimsical.  At its best, its transcendent TV and feels almost documentary in quality.  It's just smart and important and often you want to watch things that are less real and go down easier.  Bosch is different, being a mystery and serial detective drama.  Much more narratively focused, much smaller cast of characters.  It's definitely more bingeable than Treme was.  It's great and I have no real complaints, it's just not always as fun so I kind of step away from it for a while to watch other things.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Yohan said:

I've been checking out Reservation Dogs. A Native American dark comedy set in Oklahoma, written by Sterlin Harjo and Taika Waititi. It is on FX on Hulu, season 1 is only 8 episodes, but has been given the go ahead for season 2.

I like it.  I read The Only Good Indians recently, and between that book and this show, it’s made the glaring absence of native representation in pop culture all the more noticeable.  Not Native American actors on screen, but their stories experiences and perspectives.  

• Like 3

On 9/11/2021 at 3:32 AM, PartyPosse said:

I’m so late to the game on Bosch

I hadn’t seen an episode until July this year.  I ripped through 7 seasons pretty quickly.  There are talks for a spin-off.

Currently we are toggling between Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu and LulaRich - documentary on Amazon.  I’m a sucker for things about MLMs.  We’ll get into the Clinton/Lewinsky American Crime show.  And I’m looking forward to the dramatization of Purdue Pharma that comes out in October.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

I hadn’t seen an episode until July this year.  I ripped through 7 seasons pretty quickly.  There are talks for a spin-off.

Currently we are toggling between Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu and LulaRich - documentary on Amazon.  I’m a sucker for things about MLMs.  We’ll get into the Clinton/Lewinsky American Crime show.  And I’m looking forward to the dramatization of Purdue Pharma that comes out in October.

I gotta take my time with it. I like the show, but his brash don't care laissez-faire attitude annoy me at times. At least with, say a show like The Shield, the show followed different characters at different times, but here it's literally all harry all the time.

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I gotta take my time with it. I like the show, but his brash don't care laissez-faire attitude annoy me at times. At least with, say a show like The Shield, the show followed different characters at different times, but here it's literally all harry all the time.

My wife couldn’t stop laughing AT him when she watched the first episode.  I guess I kind of leaned into the character.  It’s over the top, but I loved it.

20 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

My wife couldn’t stop laughing AT him when she watched the first episode.  I guess I kind of leaned into the character.  It’s over the top, but I loved it.

I like it but only in doses. I get it's a Michael Connelly character so you're trying to stay true to the source material, but the actor's emotional range seems to be limited to whatever half-hearted scowl he deems necessary for the moment.