Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

On 8/25/2021 at 3:43 PM, Chew said:

Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix.  Jeepers, this show wild!  Easily the darkest and most graphic show Netflix has ever made.

Basic premise: young 20-something filmmaker (Rosa Salazar, Maze Runner trilogy) moves to LA and takes a meeting with a well-known producer (Eric Lange) about her film.  She gets swindled in the contract she signs and has her movie stolen from her.  

She is approached by a witch (Catherine Keener, who is amazing in this) that offers to help get her movie back and make the producer suffer.  Absolute chaos ensues. 

It's 8 episodes total, I'm through three so far.  I'm highly entertained.  Graphic violence, creatures from parallel dimensions, lots of dark humor, witchcraft.  Really fun show to watch, the story moves along quickly to keep your attention. 

It's like Mulholland Drive and True Blood had a Netflix baby.  

it's really graphic. ultra violent.  

div widget

This show looks interesting, might have to give it a watch. I thought the lead actress was te same woman from Orphan Black, so I looked her up. She's a local gal, D.C. native.

5 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Been waiting for a Wheel of Time series to be done right for like 3 decades now. I wonder how many seasons they've committed to? There are like 37 million books in the series and they're all 700-1000 pages long.

Me too man.  Me too.  In retrospect, I am glad it didn't happen earlier in the time of half-assed film adaptations.  It needs a prestige TV Series with a tech trillions budget.

I don't even care if they finish the damn thing, just make the seasons that they do produce good.  There are enough epic stories within the series that they don't have to finish the entire arc.

Also, they're going to need to change a lot of stuff in the adaptation because I just don't think certain things will work well on screen.  Rand's polyamory for one.  That always felt like a stretch in the books and it'd be even weirder and less believable in the shorter medium of a teleplay.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I’ve stayed away from that series because it seemed a bit overwhelming with so many books and stories to it, but damn that trailer is some high quality **** and the soundtrack is amazing. I’m 100% sold. Can’t wait 

I grew up on the books.  They were my favorite fantasy series as a young man, more so even than the big ones: Potter & LOTR & ASOIAF.  Something about them was very magical and engrossing for me.

This series looks fantastic, but unlike a really loving and faithful adaptation like Peter Jackson's Rings movies, I am guessing that this series is going to be a pretty significant departure from the books.  Nobody should have to read the series to get the show.  And I think it could actually be jarring for people to watch the show and read the series alongside it.  Honestly... that trailer makes the show look even more splendid and fantastical than the books were.  I really love some of the Amazon originals and have felt that they quietly blow most of their recent HBO and Netflix competitors out of the water, and I was hopeful that they would do right by WoT, but this looks even better than I'd hoped.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Me too man.  Me too.  In retrospect, I am glad it didn't happen earlier in the time of half-assed film adaptations.  It needs a prestige TV Series with a tech trillions budget.

I don't even care if they finish the damn thing, just make the seasons that they do produce good.  There are enough epic stories within the series that they don't have to finish the entire arc.

Also, they're going to need to change a lot of stuff in the adaptation because I just don't think certain things will work well on screen.  Rand's polyamory for one.  That always felt like a stretch in the books and it'd be even weirder and less believable in the shorter medium of a teleplay.

Yup, I ageee 100%. I wouldn’t mind if they hired some good creative female direction and updated some of the relationship dynamics all throughout the series. It has a  little feel here and there of adolescent boy wish fulfillment in how the women talk and respond to things that will make some people nowadays get all side-eyed. 

I’m already jonesing for the parts of the series that focus on Mat once he makes certain bargains and gets his gang around him. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 2

Fiance and I have been watching Friends all the way through on HBO Max.  I never really paid attention to it while it was on, but it's great.  Although it's a show that could never be made today.  6 straight white heterosexual characters, lots of gay jokes.

Jennifer Aniston looks amazing but Courteney Cox :) 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Fiance and I have been watching Friends all the way through on HBO Max.  I never really paid attention to it while it was on, but it's great.  Although it's a show that could never be made today.  6 straight white heterosexual characters, lots of gay jokes.

Jennifer Aniston looks amazing but Courteney Cox :) 

If you ever go back and watch the first ten seasons of Simpsons, you’d be shocked at how much was in there they couldn’t get away with now. It made me realize how hyper-sensitive we as a society have gotten in such a short period of time and actually made me a little fearful by how fast we’ve devolved.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

"Your Honor", really good show.  About a judge's kid that killed another kid in a hit and run, he does everything to save his sons life from prison or worse.  

No. No. No. That's not what it's about.

It's the next chapter in the life of Walter White where after surviving the end of Breaking Bad, he disappeared & reemerged as a NOLA judge whose new son accidentally kills the local mob boss's son & they attempt to cover it up. 

#HisIsTheGavelThatKnocks  :D 

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2021 at 11:34 AM, PartyPosse said:

If you ever go back and watch the first ten seasons of Simpsons, you’d be shocked at how much was in there they couldn’t get away with now. It made me realize how hyper-sensitive we as a society have gotten in such a short period of time and actually made me a little fearful by how fast we’ve devolved.

How is what you call hyper sensitivity seen as de-evolution? Who is to say that this isn't an evolution from a society that was overly callous?

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

How is what you call hyper sensitivity seen as de-evolution? Who is to say that this isn't an evolution from a society that was overly callous?

I've been re-watching the Simpsons with my wife and I've noticed it too. I personally classify it as "devolving" because I miss the idea that you can poke fun at things without it meaning you hate those same things. There was a brief time there (at least I think there was) where we could point out and joke about differences (sexuality, religion, race, etc.) without it ending up on the news. I liked those times...and not just dishing it out, but receiving those jokes about me as well. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

Because social commentary and commentary on the naive perceptions by Americans is actually a healthy way of dissecting how we view the way we think. Context should matter but it doesnt. The emphasis should be on Homer’s outdated and naive views on others and how foolish it looks, but that aspect seems to get completely ignored when the immediate reaction is “oh you can’t say that!” It’s why CRT is such a hot topic. Easier to just pretend that racism is not a very prevalent force in America than try to understand it’s history. That’s why it’s a de-evolution in my mind.

• Like 2