Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tailgate 500 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die List--**READ RULES IN OP BEFORE POSTING**--MET

Spaceman Spiff

405. David Bowie - Low

RCA didn't want to even release this, expecting another "Young Americans" type of effort, but to me this is one of his best albums. Bowie stood his ground and said, "This is my Album. Release it or don't."

Favorite Track: Always Crashing In The Same Car.

I also had the pleasure of seeing Him perform the entire album at Roseland, NYC from about 50 feet away.

P.S to SoulSkin

131. Welcome to the Pleasuredome - Frankie Goes to Hollywood (1984)

132. Massive Attack---Blue Lines (1991)

133. Morissey - Your Arsenal

134. Portishead -- Roseland Ballroom, NYC LIVE (1998)

135. Lenny Kravitz - Mamma Said

136. Erik Mongrain – Equilibrium

Morrissey is spelled with 2 Rs.

406. Adele---21. I'll add this one as it seems there's really not a wealth of female artists on the list and I geniunely believe this album will stand up 10 years from now. The girl's got undeniable talent and she's still not close to being 25. Hopefully she can continue the success she's had so far. This album was one of 2011's best

Great. Now I've got Flirting With Disaster on loop in the head. There are worse things. ;) I remember listening to that in my senior year in high school. :)

Speaking of music I listened to in high school.

Van Halen- Van Halen

Better than Daydream believer, right? haha, anyway don't drive and listen to Flirtin w disaster, because it could end up one.

407. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III (1970)

Everyone says that when it came out, people hated it because it wasn't their bluesy stuff and wasn't heavy but all it did was prove they could do more than one style of music. Tangerine is my favorite song on the album. Immigrant Song is the biggest hit. Tough between this and Houses of the Holy but I assume that'll be on before 500 anyway.

407. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III (1970)

Everyone says that when it came out, people hated it because it wasn't their bluesy stuff and wasn't heavy but all it did was prove they could do more than one style of music. Tangerine is my favorite song on the album. Immigrant Song is the biggest hit. Tough between this and Houses of the Holy but I assume that'll be on before 500 anyway.

It's my favorite Zep album.

~Bang

---------- Post added March-1st-2012 at 09:51 PM ----------

A-Brief-History-Of-The-20th-Century.jpg

Gang of Four - A Brief History of the Twenieth Century

This one is a compilation album, and it's a damn good testament to british post-punk. GOF have a very interesting style.. it's at once bombastic and subtle. They wrote political songs, but on a level that was the common man's experience with what they perceive. To make a comparison, they're sort ofl ike Talking Heads in their use of alternative rythym structures, with bombastic pump and grind bass and guitars that sometimes sounded like they were dancing on a wire. Not your usual sound.

This is one song that is actually not on the collection, and keeps it from being perfect. And if my description of the sound seems a litle poetic, listen to this and tell me if I'm off.

~Bang

I did pick this at 256. but it seems to have been left out. I know that it is a comedy album, but Python was a big part of my early teens, and this album is brilliant.

409. Monty Python - The Album of the Soundtrack of the Trailer of the Film of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, (Executive Version).

411. Jim Morrison - An American Prayer this used to be in all the bargin bin albums back in the vinyl days at Kemp Mill Records etc. I totally love this album from start to finish, it's Jim in a recording studio recording his spoken word poetry. After his death the rest of the Doors came in and added some light music behind his vocals and between his poetry and music it is just a classic album. I'd recommend it to any fans of The Doors.

411. Jim Morrison - An American Prayer this used to be in all the bargin bin albums back in the vinyl days at Kemp Mill Records etc. I totally love this album from start to finish, it's Jim in a recording studio recording his spoken word poetry. After his death the rest of the Doors came in and added some light music behind his vocals and between his poetry and music it is just a classic album. I'd recommend it to any fans of The Doors.

Good call! I haven't Thought about that album in years.

414. Where Well All Belong - Marshall Tucker Band

1974WhereWeAllBelong_20101001.jpg

Vastly underrated and very original southern rock band. They have so many great albums, but I pick this one because of the double dose of a great studio album and a jamming live album

no 10,000 maniacs? really? i'm the only one who gets them?? ok...

413. 10,000 maniacs- blind mans zoo.

in my tribe could also be ...

No. You're not the only one. I'm a big fan of the Maniacs and of Natalie's solo work as well.

2-otVtgSnETnQ-JA-FCLkLEnv8a_HihJWbL9MMjU2X9i02OzWl7KwomzH-Mk3BmutKk1GEKnCY88QqYZ3YXqXGdS_5ZfdPIRDOsQ4NYz1hqbxcedapRgUfQSlcOmIeqhxH1Ytdxwy7EF0beMBpD7GU9TehcS7PIvul6B0t7f0JhBLA=s90-c

416. Soundtrack to Grosse Point Blank, \

PolyGram (1997)

1. Blister in the Sun 2:08 Gordon Gano

2. Rudie Can't Fail 3:31 Joe Strummer, Mick Jones [Clash]

3. Mirrow in the Bathroom 3:09 Andy Cox, Dave Steele, Dave Wakeling, David Steel, David Wright, Everett Morton, Ranking Roger, Roger Charlery, Saxa

4. Under Pressure 4:03 David Bowie, Queen [1]

5. I Can See Clearly Now 2:46 Johnny Nash

6. Live and Let Die 3:02 Linda McCartney, Paul McCartney

7. We Care a Lot 4:03 Bill Gould, Chuck Mosley, Faith No More, Jim Martin [1], Mike Bordin, Roddy Bottum

8. Pressure Drop 4:18 Fredrick Hibbert, Toots Hibbert

9. Absolute Beginners 2:50 David Bowie, Paul Weller [1]

10. Armagideon Time 3:53 Clement "Coxsone" Dodd, Willie Williams [3]

11. El Matador 4:34 Flavio Oscar Cianciarulo

12. Let My Love Open the Door [E.Cola Mix] 4:58 Pete Townshend

13. Blister 2000 2:58 Gordon Gano

also had a follow up album "more songs"

olyGram (1997) - Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative/Indie Rock, College Rock

While most of the best songs featured in John Cusack's black comedy Grosse Pointe Blank were on the original soundtrack album, Grosse Pointe Blank -- More Music from the Film is nearly as enjoyable as the first collection. With cuts from the Specials ("A Message to You Rudy"), Echo & the Bunnymen ("The Killing Moon"), Tones on Tail ("Go!"), Siouxsie & the Banshees ("Cities in Dust"), the Pogues ("Lorca's Novena"), and Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel ("White Lines [Don't Do It]"), it effortlessly captures the spirit and sound of '80s collegiate rock, as well as the movie itself. It's a thoroughly entertaining album. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, Rovi

I did pick this at 256. but it seems to have been left out. I know that it is a comedy album, but Python was a big part of my early teens, and this album is brilliant.

409. Monty Python - The Album of the Soundtrack of the Trailer of the Film of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, (Executive Version).

I don't know... the OP talks specifically about music, so are comedy albums eligible? If so, Richard Pryor's "That ******'s Crazy" and one of Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner's "The 2,000 Year Old Man" albums should be on the list.

But maybe "Comedy Albums You Must Hear Before You Die" should be a new thread instead.

I've been holding some back since I've already made 4 or 5 additions and I do try to watch myself (awesome though my taste may be :pfft:) and I am not a fan of "Oversharing Syndrome" or "More About Me" as a rule :D, but I'm figuring at this point this won't get done and should be done.

There aren't any direct representatives from the very first "pop music" form (as most music historians would call it) that we can put under the broad label of "classical music."

So for the one piece to best represent, and a piece that most experts feel may be the most amazing single work of music of any type, we need to add Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. I loved it before Clockwork Orange made it more popular amongst my peers when the movie came out, but that didn't hurt my fellow rockers adding that to the big band music that we already had added to our listening. Especially on my JBLParagon/McIntosh system of the day. :D

Seriously, if you have never sat down and just listened in a dimly lit and quiet room to this piece from start to finish, you owe yourself a favor. Hopefully you can do so on a good sound system.

There are many choices of recordings, obviously, and many good ones--but a safe bet and easy to find is Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra on the Deutsche Grammophon label.

If you love it, I recommend this: Beethoven: The Complete Symphonies with Cleveland Orchestra under Christoph von Dohnányi (who was mentored by the great George Szell) on Telarc. Telarc is an audiophile label justly famous for its high quality classical recordings and the performances chosen.

421: Beethoven's Ninth Symphony--Ludwig van Beethoven

422. PRo - Dying to Live

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjvioSs-XtLby1zZlkBNwOto2OGbC0mueYIvdj7sDM-OaAT1fC

I know I might be a little bias, but I am telling yah, Christian rap is on the level of mainstream rap and could be on the verge of passing it. This album right here is one of the very few albums that I can say that I don't skip a song. Even if you are not a Christian, I still think it is a good album to listen to. Beats and flow for days.....

Archived