Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tailgate 500 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die List--**READ RULES IN OP BEFORE POSTING**--MET

Spaceman Spiff

435. Gogol Bordello-----Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike. Every list needs some Eastern European Gypsy Punk. Great, high energy live band. Im not sure they fit into any specific genre but they won't bore you that's for sure. **can some kind person do a list update? Can't do it on my smartphone...

Ha! These guys are awesome.

^^^^...everything since 400. Wasn't sure what to do with Doolittle, although I agree it's a great album. Everything up to 400 is in post #666 :evilg:

401. The Meters - Rejuvenation

402. The Killers - Hot Fuss

403. Molly Hatchet - Flirtin with Disaster (1980)

404. Van Halen- Van Halen

405. David Bowie - Low

406. Adele - 21

407. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III (1970)

408. Gang of Four - A Brief History of the Twenieth Century

409. Monty Python - The Album of the Soundtrack of the Trailer of the Film of

Monty Python and the Holy Grail, (Executive Version)

410. Tom Waits-Rain Dogs

411. Jim Morrison - An American Prayer

412. The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde (1992)

413. 10,000 Maniacs- Blind Mans Zoo

414. Marshall Tucker Band -Where Well All Belong

415. Black Oak Arkansas - Early Times

416. Soundtrack to Grosse Point Blank

417. Ghostface Killah- Ironman (1996)

418. PJ Harvey---To Bring You My Love

419. Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back

420. Ozzy Osbourne- No More Tears

421. Ludwig van Beethoven - Beethoven's Ninth Symphony

422. PRo - Dying to Live

423. The Frewheelin' Bob Dylan

424. J.S. Bach - Best Bach 100

425. Sonic Youth- Dirty

426. Free - Tons of Sobs 1969

427. The Pougues - The Very Best of ...

428. The Police - Ghost in the Machine

429. Sandy Bull - Fantasias for Guitar and Banjo (1963)

430. Bruce Springsteen - Tracks

431. Dr. John - Desitively Bonnaroo

432. Bob Seger - Night Moves (1976)

433. The Four Tops- Ultimate Collection

434. Down - Nola

435. Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike

436. CYNE- Time Being

437. George Clinton & The P-Funk All Stars - T.A.P.O.A.F.O.M

Magma Udu Wudu-1976 6th album by the group. Wikipedia short history follows. Nominated this band because of the fact the leader of the band wrote or created a language to write his songs in. I own a copy of almost all of them. This LP is probably the easiest to listen to.

Magma is a French progressive rock band founded in Paris in 1969 by classically trained drummer Christian Vander, who claimed as his inspiration a "vision of humanity's spiritual and ecological future" that profoundly disturbed him. In the course of their first album, the band tells the story of a group of people fleeing a doomed Earth to settle on the planet Kobaïa. Later, conflict arises when the Kobaïans — descendants of the original colonists — encounter other Earth refugees. Vander invented a constructed language, Kobaïan, in which most lyrics are sung. In a 1977 interview with Vander and long-time Magma vocalist Klaus Blasquiz, Blasquiz said that Kobaïan is a "phonetic language made by elements of the Slavonic and Germanic languages to be able to express some things musically. The language has of course a content, but not word by word."[1] Vander himself has said that, "When I wrote, the sounds [of Kobaïan] came naturally with it – I didn’t intellectualise the process by saying "Ok, now I’m going to write some words in a particular language", it was really sounds that were coming at the same time as the music."[2] Later albums tell different stories set in more ancient times; however, the Kobaïan language remains an integral part of the music.

For the record keeping?......................^2 posts above

440- Andrew Bird

"Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production of Eggs"

441-Magma Udu Wudu-1976 6th album by the group.

_______________________________________ Thanks for this thread Soulskin, some music here I forgot about and some I never heard of, much of it really good if you take the time to listen. It is amazing the variation on this list. This could be called the Coffin List, sounds to listen to for eternity. I'd be okay with this list, but I am sure the final 500 will be even more exciting.

Liked the stuff above, btw, thanks. Keep numbering them to ensure inclusion.

This has probably been posted, but I don't want to read through this massive thread, so if it has been posted, I will delete it.

Rage Against The Machine-"The Battle Of Los Angeles"

Page 45, post 666, 1-400 listed, I found one RAM listed-

303. Rage Against the Machine- Rage Against the Machine

also, page 49, post 726, 401-437

Thanks for this thread Soulskin

Not my thread,... I just poked my head in here and started posting and trying to help out with the list. Coffin list is a great way to describe it. There's a lot of great music in here, and also Bob Seger :silly:, I'm kidding. The variety is awesome. A music critic would probably describe it as eclectic, which music critics seem to like to say a lot. I like that Andrew Bird stuff up there. That's another one I never knew about.

I think Heart Still Beating is 444

445. Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand

QetZC5TIISI

Chances are, if you were ever in a band and recorded using a 4 track recorder, you may have ended up with similar production value to this album. That was intentional because they were sick of paying tons of money to record in studios and not being happy with the end results. They recorded all these songs on a 4 track, and liked liked them enough to call it a day. It's one of those albums that I feel like the whole thing is an experience best listened to all at once. Alien Lanes is more consistent in production and worth checking out, but this has better songs, IMO.

It's a different album. We have two RATM's now. The self titled debut (1992) and The Battle of Los Angeles (2001). Am I wrong about that?

No.

Which was why I said that Rage Against The Machine was their first (self titled) album. The Battle Of Los Angeles was their last album which came out in '99, which I still have, in good condition (amazingly).

I'm impressed with the range of tastes in this thread, just a ton of variety and probably at least a few picks that each of us has probably never heard. I, for one, am glad this doesnt read as just another "classic rock" compilation...

Toally agree, i've added more than a few new stations to my Pandora mix based on this list.

Thanks all, and kudos to the Spaceman for a Spiffy thread.

~Bang

I've actually added 3 albums already thanks to this thread and will very likely add a couple more once it's rounded out to the full 500. So many tunes, so little time. Love the Andrew Bird add a few posts back and I never thought we'd ever see Black Oak Arkansas make the list, Id almost forgotten about that 70's act. Great stuff...

Okay, the in-thread search function is jacked up on my PC, so once again, I apologize in advance if this has been posted, and will delete if necessary.

445; System Of A Down - "Mezmerize"

*Edit, I just wanted to include the album cover (one of my all time favorites; very trippy)

system-of-a-down-mezmerize.jpg

Okay, the in-thread search function is jacked up on my PC, so once again, I apologize in advance if any of these have been posted, and will delete if necessary.

445; Common - "Like Water For Chocolate"

446; System Of A Down - "Mezmerize"

447; Genesis - "We Can't Dance"

448; Ennio Morricone - "Ennio Morricone live (with Metropole Orchestra)" (may be hard to find)

UH oh, thread violation ,lol. You can only add one in ten per the OP and I think that is the right way to go. so scratch and save 446-447 and take 445? Or just edit and leave one as 445?

We all could probably fill out 500 but we would never be enlightened as we have by this thread. Thanks to SpaceMan Spiff for starting it and sorry I got the OP wrong before, but also thanks to those who have kept it running straight. I have one old one waiting for the 448 or more mark and surprised I have not seen it yet. I know I have gone mostly with known classics but they need to be there. I tried to pick stuff I don't get tired of listening to and complete albums not just two songs per entry. That is why I have put some comp. stuff on here. I really like the soundtracks sometimes. Oh Brother was one someone put on, and I like Grosse Point Blank which I added, Pulp Fiction was added to. I have another one waiting on for the next ten also.

UH oh, thread violation ,lol. You can only add one in ten per the OP and I think that is the right way to go. so scratch and save 446-447 and take 445? Or just edit and leave one as 445?

We all could probably fill out 500 but we would never be enlightened as we have by this thread. Thanks to SpaceMan Spiff for starting it and sorry I got the OP wrong before, but also thanks to those who have kept it running straight. I have one old one waiting for the 448 or more mark and surprised I have not seen it yet. I know I have gone mostly with known classics but they need to be there. I tried to pick stuff I don't get tired of listening to and complete albums not just two songs per entry. That is why I have put some comp. stuff on here. I really like the soundtracks sometimes. Oh Brother was one someone put on, and I like Grosse Point Blank which I added, Pulp Fiction was added to. I have another one waiting on for the next ten also.

Gotcha. My bad, people. I read the OP and yet somehow I missed that.

album-sleepwalker.jpg

the Kinks - Sleepwalker

The forgotten great band of the British Invasion.. with terrific staying power. Always in the shadow of the Beatles, Stones, and the Who, all they did was make good provocative rock and roll songs. A nice garage-y sound as compared to the others. The Davies brothers rarely get mentioned, even though everyone does the palmslap of recognition when they enter the conversation.

I always liked this album best. It's solid Kinks.. good hard driving rock and roll, but scaled back a bit, and very good lyrically. They matured on this one, came fully into their own and left the Invasion behind.

~Bang

Archived