Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tailgate 500 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die List--**READ RULES IN OP BEFORE POSTING**--MET

Spaceman Spiff

494. The Animals - The Best of the Animals

I've always loved the music of Eric Burdon and the Animals. One of my favorite "British Invasion" blues groups, this album (originally issued in 1966, and had a few re-issues over the years) is a good mix and captures the heart of the Animals. Eric Burdon is an incredible blues vocalist and was very underrated.

220px-The_Best_Of_The_Animals.jpg

"The House of the Rising Sun"

"I'm Crying"

"Baby Let Me Take You Home"

"Around and Around"

"Talkin' 'Bout You"

"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"

"Boom Boom"

"Dimples"

"We Gotta Get Out of This Place (UK Version)"

"I'm in Love Again"

"Bury My Body"

"Gonna Send You Back to Walker"

"Story of Bo Diddley"

"It's My Life"

"Bring It on Home to Me"

I know Herb's in there a bit earlier,(great album by the way),but wanted to include more from the man. Guy's been around a very long time he's earned a good listen to the wide variety of music he did. So there. :)

4....er...49.....cripes where the hell are we here? 495?

Herb Albert - The Essential Herb Alpert

51Cz9AGG4ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Herb going funky back in 87

Guest Spearfeather
I already added it ( #123) ...but yeah Croce was one of the best singer/songwriters and died way too young. :(

Man, that guy had a lot of good songs, and in such a short time. Operator, New York's Not My Home, Roller Derby Queen, You Don't Mess Around with Jim, Leroy Brown, I Got a Name, and many others, ..... Good songwriter.

I can remember my dad turning up the radio,(he didn't do that a lot),whenever something from Jim Croce came on while we were in the car. He was definitely bummed when Jim died,(so was I). Great addition early on to the list.

Rats. I knew I forgot somebody. Sigh. Oh well.

499) Radiohead--- The Bends. One of the best bands of the past 20 years started to round into shape with this disc. "Complaint Rock" at its finest. They would take their game even higher with their next 2 albums but this is an excellent album from start to finish. This disc really started to elevate their game (and despite all the fawning heaped upon this band from the media music critics, Radiohead has always lived up to their press clippings). If you're in doubt still about their music check out Chris O'Reilly (a classical musician) who has a couple discs on piano devoted to their music. It's really outstanding material and shows the level of depth to this band's music. OK, so who's gonna close out this outstanding thread? Ya better come correct!

489. Meatloaf, Bat out of Hell.

Did not see this, please let me know if I missed it somewhere......Iconic and should be included.

9k=

For cataloging purposes.......

Thanks to SoulSkin for the updates and it appears we are missing one, feel free to let me know if this is correct, I saw two posters requesting to up the number and I think that is not a good idea. Peruse this list and finish it out strong. It could go on forever but this 500 is really good and has introduced me to some new music and reminded me of some I forgot about. Through 488, 12 to go. Look it over before throwing something on there.

401. Rejuvenation - The Meters

402. The Killers - Hot Fuss

403. Molly Hatchet, Flirtin with Disaster (1980)

404. Van Halen- Van Halen

405. David Bowie - Low

406. Adele-21

407. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III (1970)

408. Gang of Four - A Brief History of the Twenieth Century

409. Monty Python - The Album of the Soundtrack of the Trailer of the Film of Monty Python and the Holy Grail

410. Tom Waits-Rain Dogs

411. Jim Morrison - An American Prayer

412. The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde (1992)

413. 10,000 maniacs- blind mans zoo.

414. Where Well All Belong - Marshall Tucker Band

415. Black Oak Arkansas - Early Times

416. Soundtrack to Grosse Point Blank

417. Ghostface Killah- Ironman (1996)

418. PJ Harvey---To Bring You My Love

419. Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

420.Another Oz man. Ozzy Osbourne- No more Tears

421. Beethoven's Ninth Symphony--Ludwig van Beethoven

422. PRo - Dying to Live

423. The Frewheelin' Bob Dylan

424.) Best Bach 100

425 Sonic Youth- Dirty

426. Free - Tons of Sobs 1969

427. The Very Best of the Pogues

428 Police, Ghost in the Machine

429 Sandy Bull Fantasias for Guitar and Banjo 1963

430 Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band-----Tracks

431. Desitively Bonnaroo - Dr. John -

432. Bob Seger - Night Moves (1976)

433. The Four Tops- Ultimate Collection.

434. Down - Nola

435. Gogol Bordello-----Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike

436. CYNE- Time Being

437. George Clinton & The P-Funk All Stars - T.A.P.O.A.F.O.M.

438. Beastie Boys, Solid Gold Hits, 2005

439 Pixies-Doolittle

440- Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production of Eggs 2005

441-Magma Udu Wudu-1976 6th album by the group.

442 Rage against the Machine, The battle of Los Angeles

443 Black Keys, Attack and release.

444 Roxy music, Heart still beating.

445 Guided by Voices, bee thousand.

446 Neil Young, Harvest

447 The Kinks, the Sleep Walker

448 Grand Funk Railroad, Closer to Home

449 Aerosmith, Get your Wings

450 System of a Down, Mezmerize

451. Miles Davis---Kind Of Blue

452. Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

453 Drive Like Jehu- Yank Crime

454- Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape

455 BRUCE HAAK The Electric Lucifer.

456. Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage

457. Soundbombing 2

458. They Call Us Wild - The Wild Magnolias

459. Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience

460. Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs (1959)

461. Almost Famous, soundtrack

462. Queens of The Stone Ages---Rated R

463 Scientist - "Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires"

464. Pink Floyd - Animals

465. Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

466. Whipped Cream and Other Delights---Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass

467- Toadies- Rubberneck

468. Toad the Wet Sprocket - Dulcinea

469. Robert Gordon w/ Link Wray - Fresh Fish Special

470. Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot

471: Frank Sinatra- The September of my years

472. Ramones - Rocket to Russia (1977)

473. Iron & Wine---The Shepherd's Dog.

474. Wings - Band On The Run

475. The Police, Zenyatta Mondatta\ '1990

476. Junior Walker & The All Stars - The Ultimate Collection (2007)

477. Bee Gees- Odessa (1969)

478. Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

479. Prince Paul- A Prince Among Thieves

480. Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil This is the quintessential 80s heavy metal album.

481. The Complete Recordings - Robert Johnson

482. Warren Zevon - Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School

483. James Taylor - Sweet Baby James

484. Tori Amos---Under The Pink

485. Essential Elvis Presley [Original Recording Remastered]--Elvis Presley

486. Ritchie Valens - Ritchie Valens

487. Blondie - Parallel Lines

488. Saturday Night Fever - Bee Gees and various artists (1977)

489. Meatloaf, Bat out of Hell.

490. "La Sexorcisto: Devil Music"- White Zombie.---

491 Limp Bizkit - "Chocolate Starfish And The Hotdog Flavored Water." (2000)

492. Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow (2002)

493. Strapping Young Lad - City

494. The Animals - The Best of the Animals

495. Liz Phair - Whip-Smart

495 Herb Albert - The Essential Herb Alpert--

497. Rory Gallagher - Live in Europe 1972

498. Souls of Mischief- 93 'til Infinity

499 Radiohead--- The Bends

500. James Brown- Live at the Apollo

501. The Band - Music From Big Pink

Revised, updated, we have two at 495 and one alternate in case of duplicate. Check post 535 for the most list.

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 08:47 AM ----------

I think someone may go obvious with the last one, but obvious in a big way. There are a couple monsters out there.

I think we should start a MONSTERS we missed list of maybe 25? And vote on them to be finalized by all who participated in one of the best threads ever in the tailgate.

Momma's and the Pappas,

If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears (1966)

Side one

"Monday, Monday" ([[John Phillips (musician)|John Phillips) – 3:28

"Straight Shooter" (J. Phillips) – 2:58

"Got a Feelin'" (J. Phillips, Denny Doherty) – 2:53

"I Call Your Name" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) – 2:38

"Do You Wanna Dance" (Bobby Freeman) – 3:00

"Go Where You Wanna Go" (J. Phillips) – 2:29

[edit]Side two

"California Dreamin'" (J. Phillips, Michelle Phillips) – 2:42

"Spanish Harlem" (Jerry Leiber, Phil Spector) – 3:22

"Somebody Groovy" (J. Phillips) - 3:16

"Hey Girl" (J. Phillips, M. Phillips) – 2:30

"You Baby" (Steve Barri, P. F. Sloan) – 2:22

"The "In" Crowd" (Billy Page) – 3:12

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 08:51 AM ----------

So I clicked the YouTube link. I like to think I'm open to a wide range in musical genres, but I seriously couldn't imagine listening to a whole album of that. Nothing personal, mboyd, but holy christ. :ols: To each their own though...

If that is the only industrial album I ever need, I guess I will always be needing one? hahaa

Great job everyone! I think China, Stickboi05, Califan007, and a few others deserve a lot of the credit for the list and keeping this thread organized from the beginning. I started to help with the list because I screwed up the count at one point. The list was already started and I just added to it. It also dawned on me that maybe I was overstepping my bounds by coming into this thread and rampantly posting when I hardly post at all here. There's lots of people who post all day, every day, all over this forum that I'm sure would have liked to get some more choices in. I appreciate reading these forums pretty much every day, and I sincerely hope I didn't step on any toes. The spirit of this thread was awesome. Thanks to Spaceman Spiff for starting it.

Thanks to the hand-dandy similar threads feature, it looks like Sticksboi05 tried something similar back in 2008...however that was 4 years ago and a lot of good music has been made since.

Let's try to come up with 500 albums that you must hear before you die. There's a similar list/book out there somewhere but The Tailgate has always been an excellent source for talking music.

Rules: You can only submit one album at a time. After you make your submission, you can't make another one for 10 posts.

I'll be editing this initial post for quick reference. Follow the formatting, make sure you number your entries.

---------- Post added February-16th-2012 at 04:52 PM ----------

1. Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix

His ultimate studio album.

Where is the edited post?

This was a really enjoyable thread. I'd like to do a variation on it sometime. Something along lines of, most-off-the-radar albums or guilty pleasure albums. I know I'll refer back to this when buying some future music and want to thank my fellow posters for their contributions and sharing their catalogs with all. Rock On!

If you like Primus check out their new album Green Naugahyde. I added Frizzle Fry to the list because to me it's a classic. GN has been getting the most play in my car since it's release but I figured it was a bit too new to add to our 500 list. *Jillys on Smack* would probably be my favorite on the album but IMO the whole album is great music.

This was a really enjoyable thread. I'd like to do a variation on it sometime. Something along lines of, most-off-the-radar albums or guilty pleasure albums. I know I'll refer back to this when buying some future music and want to thank my fellow posters for their contributions and sharing their catalogs with all. Rock On!

How about, similar to the Babe draft, an Album draft? Different categories, then head to head voting for best album collection...

At hip hop boards that I post on I've started "albums you feel are slept on" or "albums that you feel are underrated" type threads and they get a good turnout. Also, "albums that you think are overrated" threads are always interesting. Like I'll tell you right now that all of Eminem's albums are overrated, with due recognition to the Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP.

Something like this:

http://forums.undergroundhiphop.com/readpost.asp?Forum=Common&WhichPage=1&QuestionID=2284395&SearchYear=2011

I believe we're on 497 now?

497. Rory Gallagher - Live in Europe 1972

For those of you that don't know about Mr. Gallagher, let me introduce ...

That is how it is done. Rock and Roll!!!!

Rory played the loudest concerts I ever went to. It seemed that he'd bring the same sound system for giant summer stadium gigs to indoor arenas holding a couple of thousand people. After each gig you spent several days worried if your hearing loss was permanent. :ols: good times.

I think someone may go obvious with the last one, but obvious in a big way. There are a couple monsters out there.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?363168-25-Monster-Albums-we-missed-in-500-thread.

Tried this but it looks to be DOA. I thought it would be good to look over the 500 and find some real monster classics we missed in this thread, but I guess no. Oh well I tried.

Well. Hmmmm. Good idea. Wondering if it's one of those times where we just let the 500 stand as is and leave well enough alone. Too much of a good thing type of deal. Or,we can simply do addition to this thread. In other words,keep going. Or..well...all kinds of ideas there.

If you like Primus check out their new album Green Naugahyde. I added Frizzle Fry to the list because to me it's a classic. GN has been getting the most play in my car since it's release but I figured it was a bit too new to add to our 500 list. *Jillys on Smack* would probably be my favorite on the album but IMO the whole album is great music.

I try to like Frizzle Fry. I really do. But I can't get over how much it lacks compared to sailing the seas of cheese.

Archived