Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tailgate 500 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die List--**READ RULES IN OP BEFORE POSTING**--MET

Spaceman Spiff

460. Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs (1959)

I'm not a big fan of today's country music, but I love the old country/western music from the 50's, 60's, etc. This album is full of great cowboy ballads like "Big Iron", "Hanging Tree", and of course the big one 'El Paso".

220px-Gunfighter-Ballads-Robbins-CD.jpg

The Gin Blossoms are a good choice. I bought that album when it came out, and it had SO many good songs on it, like ten of them became radio hits.

So i got sick of it and put it away. After a decade or so it sounded as good as it used to.

Too bad the singer / guitarist / songwriter/ comitted suicide just before this hit it big. He had a knack for writing very good pop songs.\

(If there is any good in the world, my choice of words there will NOT remind someone to put the Knack on this list. Top 600 maybe.)

~Bang

Similar experience with me. Bought the CD, played the crap out of it, heard the big two (Hey Jealousy, Found Out About You) on the radio ad nauseum, got burned out and put it away. But revisiting the songs, they are just perfectly crafted, smart songs that hold up over time.

And there is no typeface small enough to mention any band that birthed the devil spawn called "My Sharonna."

461. Almost Famous, soundtrack, 61WnwPFGIoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (2000)

Lots of great, great songs. You can play this at a party of 40-50-60 somethings and they all get emotions rushing back to them. Was a great movie as well.

1. America - Simon and Garfunkel

2. Sparks - The Who

3. It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference - Todd Rundgren

4. I've Seen All Good People: Your Move - Yes

5. Feel Flows - The Beach Boys

6. Fever Dog - Stillwater

7. Every Picture Tells A Story - Rod Stewart

8. Mr. Farmer - The Seeds

9. One Way Out - The Allman Brothers Band

10. Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd

11. That's The Way - Led Zeppelin

12. Tiny Dancer - Elton John

13. Lucky Trumble - Nancy Wilson

14. I'm Waiting For The Man - David Bowie

15. The Wind - Cat Stevens

16. Slip Away - Clarence Carter

17. Something In The Air - Thunderclap Newman

462. Queens of The Stone Ages---Rated R. Don't think I saw these guys listed yet. They brought a sound to heavy rock that was really their own and Im fond of them in small part cuz they sprung from the California desert. "Feel Good Hit Of The Summer" and "The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret" were the more notable hits but this album was loaded w/solid tunes. They continued on with at least 2 other really good albums after this one and are really worth the listen if you've never bothered.

I omitted because the live album has most of the songs covered...seemed redundant

Yeah, I was going to post it a long time ago, but I was under the impression that an artist can only have one album listed on the list. Now that I see that there are multiple albums by an artist on the list, I just went ahead and included it.

scientist-rids-world-evil-curse-vampires-cassette-cover-art.jpg

Scientist - "Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires"

Very good old school reggae/dub joint. I actually first heard some of the songs on this album via Grand Theft Auto lll, so I checked out this album, and it's pretty good. I had heard a few of his songs prior to GTAll, but I didn't know who it was. He has become one of my favorites ever since, and I own a number of his albums.

RcOfG2yyHRw

Sigh. I feel like should apologize for violating my norm. I'm going again, as I think it's a sound and an artist worth representation.

466. Whipped Cream and Other Delights---Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass

Some history from wiki:

Herb Alpert is also a recording industry executive — he is the "A" of A&M Records. The multi-talented Alpert has also created abstract expressionist paintings and sculpture over two decades, which are on occasion publicly exhibited; and he and his wife are substantial U.S. philanthropists through the operation of the Herb Alpert Foundation.

Alpert's musical accomplishments include five number one hits, twenty-eight albums on the Billboard charts, eight Grammy Awards, fourteen Platinum albums and fifteen Gold albums. As of 1996, Alpert had sold 72 million albums worldwide. Alpert is the only recording artist to hit #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 pop chart as both an instrumentalist ("Rise", 1979) and vocalist (" This Guy's in Love With You", 1968).

Can't go over the entire thread, but if this band hasn't been added, I've failed. (The Toadies add above reminded me). IMO, these guys were the best alt rock band of the era. I know them's fightin' words, but dang, they could write songs.

468. Toad the Wet Sprocket - Dulcinea

469. Robert Gordon w/ Link Wray - Fresh Fish Special

51H7DscddTL._SS500_.jpg

Another genre underrepresented so far is rockabilly, and this collaboration is a great example of it. These songs were recorded at the very beginning of a rockabilly revival. Robert Gordon is the vocalist...he's a local guy, grew up in Bethesda and went to Bethesda Chevy Chase High School. He grew up in the 60s but his musical tastes ran more to Elvis than to the rock music of the day. He fronted some punk bands but jumped at the chance to record rockabilly, especially when given the chance to collaborate with Link Wray, one of the top guitarists of that genre.

There are some really good songs on this playlist...

1. Red Hot

2. I Sure Miss You

3. Summertime Blues

4. Boppin' the Blues

5. Sweet Surrender

6. Flyin' Saucers Rock & Roll

7. The Fool

8. It's in the Bottle

9. Woman (You're My Woman)

10. Is This the Way?

11. The Way I Walk

12. Red Cadillac and a Black Moustache

13. If This Is Wrong

14. Five Days, Five Days

15. Fire

16. I Want to Be Free

17. Twenty Flight Rock

18. Sea Cruise

19. Lonesome Train (On a Lonesome Track)

20. Blue Eyes (Don't Run Away)

Springsteen plays keyboards on "Fire", a song he also wrote. "Red Hot," might be the perfect example of the manic energy of rockabilly. "Twenty Flight Rock," Sea Cruise"and the cover of "Summertime Blues" are other good cuts, but the whole album is great listening for any fan of the genre.

wAsDNDqLK9Y

Has anyone mentioned Queen's Night at the Opera? It's on the short list of greatest rock albums (top five, probably).

Hasn't been mentioned I don't think but I could list off six Zeppelin, Stones or Beatles albums that are all a lot better (all opinion of course).

Anybody get Police-Synchronicity on there? My eyes are going bad today.

I know it and Ghost in the Machine are there somewhere, but Zenyatta Mondatta, Outlandos d'Amour and Regatta de Blanc are not on the list

Archived