Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tailgate 500 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die List--**READ RULES IN OP BEFORE POSTING**--MET

Spaceman Spiff

edit, missed Toys at 113 and I like this second best. sorry I looked just missed it.

449. AeroSmith, Get your wings

51vZ-Hly43L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1. Same Old Song And Dance

2. Lord Of The Thighs

3. Spaced

4. Woman Of The World

5. S.O.S. (Too Bad)

6. Train Kept A Rollin'

7. Seasons Of Wither

8. Pandora's Box

Just a little house keeping to clean up the numbers....

442 Rage against the Machine, The battle against Los Angeles

443 Black Keys, Attack and release.

444 Roxy music, Heart still beating.

445 Guided by Voices, bee thousand.

446 Neil Young, Harvest

447 The Kinks, the Sleep Walker

448 Grand Funk Railroad, Closer to Home

449 Aerosmith, Get your Wings

450 System of a Down, Mezmerize

That should get us back on track, hopefully everyone is good with that, did I miss anything?

451. Miles Davis---Kind Of Blue. It's jazz and yet it's rock and roll, yah dig? Miles was The Man and never took the same path twice during his career, a true iconoclast. What bends my mind about this album is just how far ahead of its time that it was (1959) and why I think it's amazing is that it can fit into so many listening moods (martini hour, dinner music, sex music, long road trip music, et al.) It just....transcends.

455 BRUCE HAAK The Electric Lucifer.

This one I will bring up because it's so far ahead of it's time. Credited with buidling an early prototype vocoder and making his own synthesizer out of things found in alleys' This album was recorded in 1968 and 69. Listen to the couple links I provided from youtube and see what he contributed to music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1X2o-lmw6o&feature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocoder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haack:_The_King_of_Techno#Commercials.2C_etc

If the Mods don't think it belongs take it off the list.

I feel like it was so obvious that it got overlooked?

True. Good call. It's just that that album gets talked about so much on here that you'd think that it would've been number one. But yeah, that was my aim too, to not go too obvious, and kind of go for great albums that didn't get really huge fanfare, and thus got overlooked over time (to a degree)

456. Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage

Wyskinz1... It's not up to the Mods to decide what qualifies.

Maybe not the Mods decision. I wasn't sure if I was stretching the thread topic, which I didn't intend to do. But the Bruce Haak is a really interesting album

looks like that album is already #113.
Is Get Your Wings on the list. My favorite Album by Aerosmith. Could replace the second TintheA. Up to SWFL though.

Thanks, went back and edited it to Get your Wings which is deserving as well, I looked and must have missed it, could not believe any aerosmith was not there, well it was lol.

458. They Call Us Wild - The Wild Magnolias. This a double-CD re-release of their first two Polydor Albums from the early 70's. A super funky and groovy but also authentic presentation of the New Orleans Mardi Gras Indian music culture.

51qYoctk2YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg23a381b0c8a07970797ba110.L._AA300_.jpg

459. Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience

220px-GinBlossomsNewMiserableExperienceOriginal.jpg

I had an internal debate about whether to include this album. It's pop rock, which is a bit under-represented here so far. And the lyrics have a literary edge that raise the songs above pop-rock fluff. And - a bit surprising when I looked it up - it's been 20 ****ing years since the album was released, and the music still holds up, IMO.

"Lost Horizons" (Hopkins) – 3:20

"Hey Jealousy" (Hopkins) – 3:56

"Mrs. Rita" (Swafford, Valenzuela) – 4:25

"Until I Fall Away" (Valenzuela, Wilson) – 3:51

"Hold Me Down" (Hopkins, Wilson) – 4:50

"Cajun Song" (Valenzuela) – 2:56

"Hands Are Tied" (Valenzuela) – 3:17

"Found Out About You" (Hopkins) – 3:53

"Allison Road" (Wilson) – 3:18

"29" (Valenzuela) – 4:18

"Pieces of the Night" (Hopkins) – 4:33

"Cheatin'" (Hopkins, Valenzuela) – 3:25

Here's "Allison Road"

_-UBnjzJMQ0

The Gin Blossoms are a good choice. I bought that album when it came out, and it had SO many good songs on it, like ten of them became radio hits.

So i got sick of it and put it away. After a decade or so it sounded as good as it used to.

Too bad the singer / guitarist / songwriter/ comitted suicide just before this hit it big. He had a knack for writing very good pop songs.\

(If there is any good in the world, my choice of words there will NOT remind someone to put the Knack on this list. Top 600 maybe.)

~Bang

Archived