Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tailgate 500 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die List--**READ RULES IN OP BEFORE POSTING**--MET

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for prompting me to google Neil Diamond. I remembered always liking the old songs (like Solitary Man and Cherry Cherry) when i heard them on the radio. He's one of those musicians I always meant to learn a little more about. Anyway, I stumbled across this bizarre song I had no idea existed.

8Tm8EJaoFO8

I have an at times begrudging love for Neil Diamond. His early stuff is legit. He even wrote at least one of the Monkees biggest hits (I'm A Believer) but he also wrote "Forever In Blue Jeans" and then denied writing it when he met Bob Dylan once who cornered him asking him what the hell he was thinking writing that one. He's one of those artists where expanse between the great material (Red Red Wine, Girl You Be a Woman Soon, Solitary Man) and the low points (Holly Holy, Turn On Your Heartlight) is just immense. He's still really cool in the end.

On a (somewhat) related note, Bono once said that all of the very best songwriters in the American songbook are all Jewish. He may have a point: Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Irving Berlin, George Gershwin, Donald Fagen (Steely Dan), Neil Diamond (?) Burt Bacharach. There may be more but their influence and achievements are, well, undeniable.

"Put a quarter in the juke, boogie til you puke!"

Foster MacKenzie III - Root Boy Slim - was a Roman candle... flashed bright and died out quick - literally. He was a smart kid who got kicked out of a bunch of DC area prep schools - then went to Yale on a scholarship and managed to graduate. Wild doesn't begin to describe him. The lyric "I jumped over the White House fence, just to see who was the President" from the song I Used to Be a Radical was actually true. He did jump the fence while tripping on acid and got grabbed up by the Secret Service while running for the White House..

The music worked because he had kick-ass band and the talented "Rootettes" backup singers that carried him through as he growled out his off-the-wall lyrics. He looked like a hallucinating rodeo clown on stage - neon bright clothes, oversized ROOT or ZOOM glasses - weird hats. I saw him at a club in Radford... bizarre, rollicking show.

375. Neil Diamond- Hot August Night (1972)

I remember my parents having this on 8-track and I kind of grew up with these songs. Hit after hit, this is one of the best live albums. I've been to many concerts and his was one of the best. With a list of 500, there is room for Diamond. ;)

I had it on vinyl

380. J Dilla- Donuts

220px-Dilladonutscover.jpg

Best hip hop instrumental album ever in my opinion, with respects to Entroducing and Petestrumentals. A collection of haunting soul samples and raw loops that Dilla used so predominantly in his work. Any fan of any genre of music would like this because it incorporates so many styles.

383. David Gray---White Ladder. This was a huge success for this guy here in the States but he'd been making solid music for at least 8 years previous to this album. "This Year's Love" holds up dam well 10 years on and this album will always remind me Alyson, my hot and crazy girlfriend from this time.

384. Tom Jones - Live in Las Vegas. I was thinking tonight about live albums that are just incredible and this one from Tom Jones in the early 70's is one of them. The guy could really sing and the way he sings rock, blues, soul is top notch. I know it might not seem cool to listen to him but if you give it a chance you'll discover how wrong you were. It's really great!

94862596.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

370473.jpg

The Raybeats - It's Only a Movie

The Raybeats played a mixture of surfy punky trippy instrumental guitar music, with a healthy dose of Link Wray swagger and snarl thrown in.

The album is one of the great party albums,, there's something for every mood of the hour. The music was completely off kilter for the time (1981 release).. no one did anything like this album. Hell, no one was doing instrumentals, period, much less far out cool **** like this.

In the old days of WHFS; Bob (here) used to play one of the tracks behind his concert calendar every night at 7. And it was such a cool piece of music i called him up and asked what it was, and he told me, and i went to the old Waxie Maxies that used to be in Bowie and.. they didn't have it.. so I had to find it in the huge yellow catalog that record stores used to keep... you young'ns probably have no idea what the hell I'm even talking about, but a few older folks wil.

So I find it and they order it, and it's from such a small ass company it took almost 4 months to get it. The company is long since gone, and the album has long since been deleted from any catalogs.. what was left of the stock is all there is.

Anyway, suffice to say it has been to many a party with me, remains unscratched, and is one of the few vinyls i have left. I'll probably have it cremated with me eventually.

for reference, a couple of them went on to other bands, most notably Los Straitjackets... which is similar music, but more latin, and of course, performed in Luchadora masks.

This is the first track, a take on the old Link Wray tune 'Jack the Ripper"

(Oh, and for those of you young'ns who don't know.. Link wray invented the power chord. He decided fuzzed out distortion sounded cool, and used it. He is also known for having had a song banned in several states because of the bad influence it had on young troublemakers.. the song was called "Rumble" and has no words. Take that, Eddie Van Whatever.

He doesn't really have any albums worth putting in here, but he deserves always to be mentioned. He's as much a father of rock and roll as Elvis ever was.

And he was a a native southern Marylander.)

~Bang

That's a great compilation but you have to be more than great to be compared to London Calling.

I won't argue that. London Calling blows it away! It's like trying to beat The Beatles,... you can't do it. I was trying to sell it a little. Buzz****s are definitely worth mentioning though.

388. Love, Life, and Faith - Allen Toussaint. The highly influential New Oreleans producer and songwriter goes to a the Reprise label and puts a record chuck full of funky soulful win. The follow-up album Southern Nights produced a few more prominent songs (from others artists covering them), but I really like the groove on this one.

h40195z0108.jpg

Archived