Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Lead NFC East

Burgold

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

As @Mornebladenoted and I agree....we can start calling ourselves a legit good football team once we actually put together 4 quarters of decent football (mostly on offense), instead of 1 good quarter and then 3 ****ty quarters while desperately trying to hold on to a slight lead. 

I think I disagree. One good game won't mean much to me... but we have taken a couple of baby steps this year.

We won a season opener.

We now won two games in a row.

For us to be a "good" team, I don't need the QB to complete a certain percentage or connect on a random number of deep throws. I don't need the team to dominate for four quarters. I just need us to consistently beat the teams we're supposed to beat and win at least half of the games we're not supposed to win.

In the end, I don't care how pretty we win. If we win enough, we're a winner. How many years have we fielded a beautiful offense with Kyle Shanny or Gruden and still had a putrid team that sniffed closer to the number one draft pick than the playoffs? Putting four quarters together means almost nothing to me if at the end of the day the results aren't in the win column. At 4-2, I don't know that we have enough evidence, but at least we're on the right trail.

I'm thrilled with our record and the wins we had against Packers, Panthers and Cowboys but our losses to Saints and Colts also tells me we are a decent team with a good defense and mediocre offense which can be much better. So I think our NFC East lead is great but we will get blown apart by top offenses if we play them. I'm not complaining as we are punching above our weight at the moment but would not be surprised if we get another score like the Saints if we play KC, Pats, Rams & Falcons. Improving Defense but our offense is not where we need them to be in order to be consistent and make noise in the NFC.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think I disagree. One good game won't mean much to me... but we have taken a couple of baby steps this year.

We won a season opener.

We now won two games in a row.

For us to be a "good" team, I don't need the QB to complete a certain percentage or connect on a random number of deep throws. I don't need the team to dominate for four quarters. I just need us to consistently beat the teams we're supposed to beat and win at least half of the games we're not supposed to win.

In the end, I don't care how pretty we win. If we win enough, we're a winner. How many years have we fielded a beautiful offense with Kyle Shanny or Gruden and still had a putrid team that sniffed closer to the number one draft pick than the playoffs? Putting four quarters together means almost nothing to me if at the end of the day the results aren't in the win column. At 4-2, I don't know that we have enough evidence, but at least we're on the right trail.

Yeah agreed that 1 good game isn't necessarily an accurate barometer. However, I don't think this team can be a contender with the way they're playing now, mostly on offense. I don't expect even a very good team to dominate for all 4 quarters, but a very good team will at least be able to put something together outside of 1 quarter. We can't keep playing 1 quarter of decent offense, then disappearing utterly and hoping that we can still hang on by a thread. Eventually we won't get that bounce, or that call, or our D won't be able to hold them (no defense can hold forever). It just isn't a recipe for consistent success. 

I believe if you said we would be 4-2 at this point of the season that every Redskins fan would take it. Plenty of room for improvement on the offensive side of the ball. This tells me we having peaked yet and their is still a lot of coaching to do. I think that's a good thing.. now we need to take care of the Giants and go on a bit of a roll. 

5 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

So what you are saying is that the rest of the team is pretty damn good outside of QB? Ok, fair, I agree. Probably why I spent so much time defending Bruce wondering how he was ever mentioned in the same breath as Mr. Ceratto. And yes, I am very aware how sad it is we have to use Ceratto as any sort of benchmark. But unfortunately Ceratto and Bruce is all I know!

OK.

Listen, I want you to know I really, truly feel bad for you. I'm old enough to remember George Allen and the "Over the Hill Gang". Chris Hanburger was my first player I really liked. Add Joe Lavender, Mike Bass, Ken Houston, Billy Kilmer and others to that list. And obviously, I'm old enough to remember the 3 SB trophies, the 4 SB's the numerous winning seasons and a FO that excelled. That's my Benchmark.

Yours is doom and gloom. Completel ineptitude, followed by completely different, but slightly less ineptitude. I'm not sure if I could take that, if that is all I knew.

Seriously.

I about threw in the towel when Spurrier was hired. Gibbs 2 brought me back from the brink. The Cousins Fiasco left me questioning, if I cared enough to root for a team that was going to just continue to shoot itself in the foot. To back serial bad management, with no real end in site. Dan isn't 80 years old in poor health. Allen's head is not on the chopping block............but even if it was, would it matter?

I know I've given you a hard time when you've defended Bruce in the past. To me he's terrible. But to you.........................he's the best we've had. And that sucks. It really does. I hope that you'll get to see a FO that is competent one day. I hope I last long enough, too.

:cheers:

I'm very critical of Dan and Bruce. I think they each have a deadly combination of stupidity and arrogance which makes them unlikely to change. 

However they deserve credit for finally using picks on the OL and DL with Scherff/Allen/Payne. They got a steal in Matt Ioannidis in the 5th round. I don't know how much of that was Scot, but regardless the team deserves credit because the DL is great right now.

We're a better team than we were last year just by having the DL playing well despite our offense being basically trash. 

The Redskins are in first place.

That's not a familiar sound so I'm not sure how to react to it.

But I will say that the season gets tougher after week 8 for all teams, and the better teams are getting separation, then taking the foot off the pedal just enough to assist in preventing injuries.

Right now they have a lead, but this is where things get interesting. Gruden has had 4+ years on this team, so he's well familiar with how this division goes. But he still has this ongoing problem of stagnant offenses in the 2nd halves of games, and many have harped about it, even Gruden himself has made comments of getting better at adjusting, but its still not happening!

The wonderboy went to the Rams, and since then he's not only put together a good team but they're steamrolling teams on a weekly basis, and Gruden's still struggling to envision and call plays to get this team out of this funk. I would say that with this little bit of cushion, Gruden needs to explore the deep ball a lot more to get these guys into a rhythm and build their confidence in big plays; he cannot constantly have Smith checking down to 3-5 yd conservative passes, because the Redskins will soon be facing teams with good aerial attacks, some of which have aggressive defenses to boot, and morale will be busted if they start losing games by 20+ points, 1st place or not.

I think it is 'Baby Steps'.  I'd say that's exactly what you want game after game.  They've played 4 good games.  No, you don't have to play 4 good quarters of football with these opponents to win these games.  The formula they've been winning with is completely valid, with upside.  I'd say to anyone that thinks otherwise to empathetically, flip the scenario...suppose the Skins are 4-2 and they're W's have come on some last Quarter heroics.  You'd be dependent on a big play to win at this point.  Since that's not the case here, they just need to keep doing what they do well and gain some momentum with developing QB/Receiver chemistry.  It's difficult to sync up with deep routes.  Teams that have developed that deep threat receiver and QB chemistry have achieved what the Skins need to add.  My point is shared with many here, they can get there.  This is something that will come with persistence.  I'm not sure where it clicks but it will definitely happen with more attempts.  They took shots last week and missed by a step.  They're closing in on some big offensive plays.  

Game Note:  The last play of the 1st half, that bomb...hit Floyd right in the chest!  He was a fraction of a second off from a huge play.  Floyd is a good example of another veteran flyer that's on his last chance of his career.  He's a big WR and just finished his first month in a new offense.  Definite X factor in the receiving corp.

Skins had 3 of their top 4 receivers out vs Dallas.  Plus they had their other CB out and had to play a rookie.  They still won the game somehow.  I think they have room for improvement for certain. 

2 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Skins have been 4-2 like 3 times in my life so I’m going to shut up and enjoy it 

That defense is good enough to win 11 games 

Ok, so really this is 8th time they’ve been 4-2 or better in my 25 years of life.

they have gone on to win the next game 4 times with the last being 2008.

out of those 8 times, they’ve made the playoffs 3 times lol. Yikes 

45 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Ok, so really this is 8th time they’ve been 4-2 or better in my 25 years of life.

they have gone on to win the next game 4 times with the last being 2008.

out of those 8 times, they’ve made the playoffs 3 times lol. Yikes 

I don't wanna rain on the parade, but the reality and the history of the Redskins, is for the past couple decades, when they DO get in the playoffs, it's on years when they start off bad, then finish the season with a crazy undefeated win streak, to barely squeak into the playoffs. And it spans multiple coaches

2015 Gruden had to finish 4-0 to make the playoffs

2012 Shanahan had to finish 7-0 to get in

2007 Gibbs had to finish 4-0

2005 Gibbs had to finish 5-0

Ever since Gibbs 1, Norv Turner is the only Redskins coach to take the Redskins to the playoffs without needing a huge win streak to do it.

In 1999, the Redskins were consistent all year.

They started 3-1.

And they finished 3-1.

So yea, Norv put together the most consistent playoff season for the Redskins in the last 26 years.

Since that time, whenever the Skins start the season strong, they finish it weak...or vice versa.

We are 4-2 with the offense not playing great in the passing game, to me thats great. If we can win games with that in mind that gives us a chance to peak later in the season if the offense starts to click. They dont have to be a top 10 offense, if we can just be effective passing it to compliment the running game we can win a lot of games.

20 hours ago, PF Chang said:

I'm very critical of Dan and Bruce. I think they each have a deadly combination of stupidity and arrogance which makes them unlikely to change. 

However they deserve credit for finally using picks on the OL and DL with Scherff/Allen/Payne. They got a steal in Matt Ioannidis in the 5th round. I don't know how much of that was Scot, but regardless the team deserves credit because the DL is great right now.

We're a better team than we were last year just by having the DL playing well despite our offense being basically trash. 

Don't forget Chase Roullier, a huge need and a diamond in the rough that is shinning more and more each game.  Even Moses, he was passed at least one round before we pulled the trigger.  I believe we have a good scouting team, Moreau, Nicholson, also diamond in the rough if you think about it.  Wish the heck we kept Fuller and Cousins.  Those are the bonehead moves by Allen and Dan that make no sense whatsoever.

20 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

I believe if you said we would be 4-2 at this point of the season that every Redskins fan would take it. Plenty of room for improvement on the offensive side of the ball. This tells me we having peaked yet and their is still a lot of coaching to do. I think that's a good thing.. now we need to take care of the Giants and go on a bit of a roll. 

This team reminds me very much of 2008.  Good defense, a strong running game (led by a #26) but nothing else.  True, we are younger than that team but we get to lock into mediocrity as opposed to turning into a 4 win team.

18 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Skins have been 4-2 like 3 times in my life so I’m going to shut up and enjoy it 

That defense is good enough to win 11 games 

1996: 5-1, no playoffs

1997: 4-2 (coming off beating Dallas), no playoffs

2000: 4-2, no playoffs (defense was one of the best and our running game was good)

2008: 4-2 (had already beat Philly and Dallas in their backyards with a fluke loss to the Rams), no playoffs (good defense, good running game)

2016: 4-2, no playoffs

Conversely,

2015: 2-4, playoffs

2012: 3-3 playoffs

21 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

1996: 5-1, no playoffs

1997: 4-2 (coming off beating Dallas), no playoffs

2000: 4-2, no playoffs (defense was one of the best and our running game was good)

2008: 4-2 (had already beat Philly and Dallas in their backyards with a fluke loss to the Rams), no playoffs (good defense, good running game)

2016: 4-2, no playoffs

Conversely,

2015: 2-4, playoffs

2012: 3-3 playoffs

Did you see my post about 4 slots above yours ? Pretty much line up with each other, and I went into detail about some very telling stats.

21 hours ago, PF Chang said:

Could be one of the FO guys to get credit. Could be Jim Tomsula. Could be the trainers or Matty himself.

The reason I say that last sentence, is I was watching Matty's development closely, and even before he started to perform better on-field, I saw that he was extremely proactive and aggressive in the off-season training to get stronger and stronger, and I had a feeling he'd develop into something good after that -

especially when you consider it's his brute strength that's giving him a lot of his success.

I was okay with this game. There's a monkey on the back when it comes to Giants' games. Alex didn't do the usual choke job. I thought he had a C+ game. Peterson was mostly controlled until the backbreaker run. The D was fantastic. Barkley who?

5-2

It still might be a pipe dream and fools' gold, but anyone who's been following the Redskins for the past twenty years has to be at least a little bit of a fool.

1 minute ago, Redd said:

Hey I'll take it.  Smith's game is looking even more suspect but our D is keeping us in games against average qbs.  Work will be fun on Monday.?

Giants' defensively somehow always come up huge against us. This time, we did just enough to come away with the win. Alex made some plays in the first half... he is lacking second half magic so far this season. Luckily, he hasn't needed a lot so far.

5-2 feels strange but we all know. that 5-2 can evaporate pretty quickly.  If this really is a different year, I won't be convinced until I see at least 10 regular season wins,

11/4- Falcons

11/11- @Bucs

11/18- Texans

11/22- @Boys

12/3- @Eagles

12/9- Giants

12/16- @Jags

12/22- @Titans

12/30- Eagles

We are halfway there to 10 wins.  This now feels like 10-11 wins is very possible with this team.   Will we get there remains to be seen.   All of the games are winnable but that doesn't mean we will necessarily win all those games,  The Texans are on fire now; after a slow start.  That game, even though a home game; looks to be a tough one.  It can go either way against the Falcons, Bucs, Titans.  The Jags are in disarray, so they seem beatable; especially when we play them. We will probably sweep the Giants.  WE could sweep Dallas but Dallas on Thanksgiving?  Except for that RG3 game; I don't have fond memories of us in Dallas on turkey day.  We probably can split with the Eagles at least.

Best case, win #10 comes on 12/9 by sweeping the Giants; meaning we would go 5-1 our next 6 games.  Realistically, 10th win doesn't come until either the 12/22 the Titans game or the season finale vs Philadelphia. 

I will say this now, If Gruden can't get this team to the playoffs; he needs to be axed immediately.  I don't care how he does it.  He's not going to get an opportunity like this, that often.  IF he can't take advantage of it; then no Year 6. 

4 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

5-2 feels strange but we all know. that 5-2 can evaporate pretty quickly.  If this really is a different year, I won't be convinced until I see at least 10 regular season wins,

There's a new "I won't be convinced until..." post after every win lol...

For me, I don't need to be convinced or feel confident before the game. I just need to be smiling after the game.

Big win I think culture wise.  This is the type of game they typically lose.

And in defense of those who are concerned.  I get it.  Eventually, you are going to have to pass the ball better.  We went up against three teams in a row who struggle to throw the ball or are just mediocre at it.  That's a good match up for us because we can get a way with a grind it out style.  But we are about to play some teams who can fling in Atlanta and oddly enough Tampa is putting up good yards in the passing game.  Will see how that will play out.

But in the meantime, I will enjoy this.  And the ball control style can work.  My fear is can it work against explosive offenses -- didn't seem to be the case against NO.  We are about to see next week as to Atlanta.  Defense looks for real.  And Peterson obviously is amazing. 

Archived