Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Lead NFC East

Burgold

I'm not one for I told ya so's but...

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:50 PM, hatchetwound said:

What is your prediction for these games.  I'm thinking L-W-W.  NOLA's defense stinks but you can never count our Brees.  We HAVE to stop Kamara to have a chance, but then that just opens things up for Michael Thomas

Carolina is very, very beatable.  If you get to Cam early and often, he gets frustrated and "quits".  And their record is inflated.  They beat Dallas and Cincinnati.  Neither are impressive wins.

Dallas sucks.  No shot against us.  NONE. :dallas_sucks:

The only thing I was wrong on is that I thought we would make NOLA a closer game.  But otherwise.....

giphy.gif

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:24 PM, JSSkinz said:

We have a good old school type of football team, I think we're just not used to the way we are winning games because typically we don't win them this way.

The offense needs a coming to Jesus moment, the Giants have talent and there's no reason to think that game or any other game this year will be easy no matter how bad the other team's record is.

The Giants game is huge, to be 5-2 (2-0 in the Div) after 7 games, it's been a minute since that's happened.

How we got here makes no sense, all defense, and no offense.

What?

All defense, a strong running game and a QB that doesn't turn it over is a proven formula for success.  I mean, the Ravens won it all with Trent Dilfer on the exact model.  And Alex Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Trent Dilfer

Does anyone else feel like this is just a tease being in first place, and the Eagles will surely take off at some point? I mean, last weeks games just fell in place as did OUR game. Yes, the team played hard and won but it sure feels like a fragile first place lead. I know, quit belly aching and enjoy it. I guess as long as we keep beating subpar teams(giants next, sleeper alert!), the eagle games will become HUGE. Hopefully we build momentum for those.

No way.  The Eagles are a hot mess.  Wentz, Jefferies, Ertz and a Dline is all they have.  They have the worst secondary in the league.  A terrible RB corp.  Outside of Alshon a below average WR corp.  And a kicker who thinks extra points are scary. Dallas is the closest thing to competition for us and we already are half way to a sweep.

3 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

All defense, a strong running game and a QB that doesn't turn it over is a proven formula for success.  I mean, the Ravens won it all with Trent Dilfer on the exact model.  And Alex Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Trent Dilfer

We don't have the best defense in the league, much less maybe the best defense the NFL has ever seen. We're not going to go anywhere unless the passing offense gets much better.

3 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

No way.  The Eagles are a hot mess.  Wentz, Jefferies, Ertz and a Dline is all they have.  They have the worst secondary in the league.  A terrible RB corp.  Outside of Alshon a below average WR corp.  And a kicker who thinks extra points are scary. Dallas is the closest thing to competition for us and we already are half way to a sweep.

I admire your optimism. but I don't think it's realism.

23 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

We don't have the best defense in the league, much less maybe the best defense the NFL has ever seen. We're not going to go anywhere unless the passing offense gets much better.

Agree with all of your points. 

Our victories have been extremely shaky against teams that are mediocre to slightly good. We are in no position to get ****y until this offense starts to look like it belongs in the NFL (well, at least the passing offense - Peterson has been a golden haired god).

2 hours ago, Monkman56 said:

Does anyone else feel like this is just a tease being in first place, and the Eagles will surely take off at some point? I mean, last weeks games just fell in place as did OUR game. Yes, the team played hard and won but it sure feels like a fragile first place lead. I know, quit belly aching and enjoy it. I guess as long as we keep beating subpar teams(giants next, sleeper alert!), the eagle games will become HUGE. Hopefully we build momentum for those.

I feel what you are saying.  We beat one quality team in Panthers and Dallas is a decent team.  I myself can't wait to see who we really are with a broader body of work against better teams to see if our first place stature is really legit.

1 minute ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

I feel what you are saying.  We beat one quality team in Panthers and Dallas is a decent team.  I myself can't wait to see who we really are with a broader body of work against better teams to see if our first place stature is really legit.

First, I agree.

The first thing we have to do is have a QB that doesn't disappear in the 2nd half. AP has been great, but P. Smith has as many 2nd half TD's as A Smith. That's a real ****ing problem.

Then, we actually need to finish a team off. Not let them back into the game late, like this past week. Or the week before that....

We have to start putting together complete games for 4 quarters. Then, we can start to feel like this is a good football team. But we have yet to do that.

7 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Then, we actually need to finish a team off. Not let them back into the game late, like this past week. Or the week before that....

We have to start putting together complete games for 4 quarters. Then, we can start to feel like this is a good football team. But we have yet to do that.

It continually boggles my mind that teams, specifically us this Sunday, play prevent defense when they have been dominating for 55+ minutes. And by doing that we gave the Cowboys every chance to win that game.

Related, I cant stand how we ran the ball first and second down rather then play action pass on that first down. You know that the defense is going to sell out to stop the run, why not run a PA play and try to get some yards or a first down? If they have it covered just have Smith run or drop and take the sack so that the clock keeps running.

A Win is a Win in the NFL, it doesn’t matter which team you beat.  All of them are a tough outs and could beat any team on any given Sunday.  I’m tired of hearing posters say, “well, we haven’t beaten anyone” or “we only won by a FG.”  

Last year, the SUPER BOWL champs had, I think, 8 games including losses that were within one possession.  That’s how close the NFL is, 6 more times, I think, last year the Eagles could have lost!!  But they didn’t!!  So, it doesn’t matter, just get a WIN, that’s it.  Ask Eagles fans if they care they won a bunch of close games????  Everyone one of them will not care how they won, it’s just enough to WIN!!  And, oh by the way, a SUPER BOWL.

2 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

It continually boggles my mind that teams, specifically us this Sunday, play prevent defense when they have been dominating for 55+ minutes. And by doing that we gave the Cowboys every chance to win that game.

Related, I cant stand how we ran the ball first and second down rather then play action pass on that first down. You know that the defense is going to sell out to stop the run, why not run a PA play and try to get some yards or a first down? If they have it covered just have Smith run or drop and take the sack so that the clock keeps running.

I really was hoping for a PA pass on first or second down.  

12 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

A Win is a Win in the NFL, it doesn’t matter which team you beat.  All of them are a tough outs and could beat any team on any given Sunday.  I’m tired of hearing posters say, “well, we haven’t beaten anyone” or “we only won by a FG.”  

Last year, the SUPER BOWL champs had, I think, 8 games including losses that were within one possession.  That’s how close the NFL is, 6 more times, I think, last year the Eagles could have lost!!  But they didn’t!!  So, it doesn’t matter, just get a WIN, that’s it.  Ask Eagles fans if they care they won a bunch of close games????  Everyone one of them will not care how they won, it’s just enough to WIN!!  And, oh by the way, a SUPER BOWL.

I really was hoping for a PA pass on first or second down.  

A win IS a win, I do agree.  Now which makes you feel worse, if we got beaten by the Rams and Saints....  Or get beaten by the Cardinals and Giants right now.  Level of competition does matter when assessing a team.  It doesn't mean crap to pad your records against bad and decent teams, then make it to the playoffs and get the doors blown off of you when you face a real football team.

We all are happy about our wins but we all know what we see when we watch this team and what level of competition we are playing as well.  We're just curious as to who we really are.

20 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

A win IS a win, I do agree.  Now which makes you feel worse, if we got beaten by the Rams and Saints....  Or get beaten by the Cardinals and Giants right now.  Level of competition does matter when assessing a team.  It doesn't mean crap to pad your records against bad and decent teams, then make it to the playoffs and get the doors blown off of you when you face a real football team.

We all are happy about our wins but we all know what we see when we watch this team and what level of competition we are playing as well.  We're just curious as to who we really are.

Sure it does. Winning against bad teams gets you to the playoffs and then it's a new season. Let's say we make the playoffs this year and towards the end of the season our offense starts clicking, that's all it could take.

13 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

Also, as we are talking about the state of the team going forward and not the past, a close win like the Carolina and Dallas games makes one wonder if the Redskins are just a mediocre team getting lucky (and we all know that luck is a fickle thing) or truly a good team.  Are we a good team that got unlucky and should have beat Dallas 28-17 or the lucky team that should have lost 13-17? That is just 3 plays!

2 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Sure it does. Winning against bad teams gets you to the playoffs and then it's a new season. Let's say we make the playoffs this year and towards the end of the season our offense starts clicking, that's all it could take.

People talk about how the playoffs are like a brand new season, and that's very true.

But I'm convinced that the 2nd half of the season is like a new season.

How many times have we seen a team start 6-2, and then go 2-6 ? Or start 3-5, and then go 6-2. Or something of that nature - don't quote me exactly.

I think the season is so long and so violent, that unless you're elite like the Pats, no-one can maintain the same momentum for 16 games.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

People talk about how the playoffs are like a brand new season, and that's very true.

But I'm convinced that the 2nd half of the season is like a new season.

How many times have we seen a team start 6-2, and then go 2-6 ? Or start 3-5, and then go 6-2. Or something of that nature - don't quote me exactly.

I think the season is so long and so violent, that unless you're elite like the Pats, no-one can maintain the same momentum for 16 games.

Agreed, maybe we should look at a season as 2 sections with a 3rd if you make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I didn't say that.  I said we have a very good defense.  And our QB is much better than Trent Dilfer.

3 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Giants got rid of Apple.

Eagles lost their best young Dlineman to IR

Like I said, its down to us and the Cowboys, and we already have one win against them.  Beat them again and we cruise to a division title!!!

Who was hurt on the Eagles?

Just now, HardcoreZorn said:

@MornebladeDid you think we would be 4-2 right now? No, you didn't. That must be cutting real deep right about now.

Nope, I didn't. I love that AP is doing. I love the defense. I love that we have managed to go 4-2 without playing well in a 2nd half and in spite of the QB.

Do I expect that to last? No, I do expect the other shoe to drop at some point.

But no, it's not cutting deep, at all.

Just now, Morneblade said:

Nope, I didn't. I love that AP is doing. I love the defense. I love that we have managed to go 4-2 without playing well in a 2nd half and in spite of the QB.

Do I expect that to last? No, I do expect the other shoe to drop at some point.

But no, it's not cutting deep, at all.

So what you are saying is that the rest of the team is pretty damn good outside of QB? Ok, fair, I agree. Probably why I spent so much time defending Bruce wondering how he was ever mentioned in the same breath as Mr. Ceratto. And yes, I am very aware how sad it is we have to use Ceratto as any sort of benchmark. But unfortunately Ceratto and Bruce is all I know!

3 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Also, as we are talking about the state of the team going forward and not the past, a close win like the Carolina and Dallas games makes one wonder if the Redskins are just a mediocre team getting lucky (and we all know that luck is a fickle thing) or truly a good team.  Are we a good team that got unlucky and should have beat Dallas 28-17 or the lucky team that should have lost 13-17? That is just 3 plays!

As @Mornebladenoted and I agree....we can start calling ourselves a legit good football team once we actually put together 4 quarters of decent football (mostly on offense), instead of 1 good quarter and then 3 ****ty quarters while desperately trying to hold on to a slight lead. 

Archived