Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Why Your Team Sucks- Washington Redskins

Chachie

"Some people are fans of the Washington Redskins. But many, many more people are NOT fans of the Washington Redskins. This 2018 Deadspin NFL team preview is for those in the latter group. Read all the previews so far here."

(Due to some NSFW language in the article, I'm not copying any more of it to this thread but the article is at the link below.) Opinions? 

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2018-washington-redskins-1828326322?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter

Some of the criticism I think is sadly on point, some of it not.

I think he really hammers the Alex Smith-Kirk dynamic in a ironic way most of which I agree with but not all -- I like Alex but the narrative that he's all that and more comes off way over the top to me -- and they hammer that point hard. 

17 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Wow, that guy really hates our team! I bet he's some cowboys fan :hitfan:

They do this about every team.  However every season there is some very sad truth to the 'hate'.

All I can say is this particular part is the more harsh version of what I've been getting at for months.  Phew.

Your quarterback: The Skins didn’t want to pay Kirk Cousins $84 million guaranteed, so here’s what they did instead: they traded a third-round pick and promising cornerback Kendall Fuller to Kansas City in exchange for a quarterback who is five years older than Cousins, averages nearly 60 fewer yards per game, and averages nearly a full yard less per attempt. Then they gave THAT guy $71 million guaranteed.

Advertisement

There are people here who think that was smart. I’m not even kidding. You should hear Skins fans here talking themselves into Alex Smith. Alex Smith is a very nice fellow who needs to be surrounded by Pro Bowlers and coached by a play-calling savant in order to average more than 150 yards a game. The Chiefs got a career year out of him last season and still couldn’t be bothered to keep him around. He’s authored not one, but two of the worst postseason collapses in HISTORY.

And yet Skins fans will gladly devour the sales job on him. They’re like, “Oh wow, we’ve finally moved on from Kirk Cousins’s contract drama. We’ve finally got stability.” NO! NO NO NO NO NO NO YOU ****ING MORONS. Stability just walked out the ****ing door! This is the instability! When you draft a franchise QB and kill him, and then you luck into a SECOND franchise QB to take his place, and then you freeze out that second franchise QB because he wanted to be paid appropriately, that isn’t ****ing stable. Kirk Cousins somehow flourished with this team, made a boatload of money, and yet he couldn’t WAIT to leave town. If you wanna blame Kirk Cousins for that, well then you’re stupid enough to work for this organization.

Alex Smith isn’t the solution. He is yet another symptom of a disease that has ravaged this organization throughout the entire 21st century. All they do is re-package one bad lie after another. It would be ****ing sickening if it didn’t result in hilarious, abject failure year after year after year. At least when Trump lies, it works for him. Look at this ****:

Vibe, my ass. “There’s a general sense of peace and harmony now that we get to openly shade our old quarterback like a bunch of ****ing weirdos.” The Skins always want you to think it’s gonna be different this time around. Look up at the half-pint dictator in the luxury box and the illusion is shattered within seconds. If you guys can talk yourselves into Alex Smith, you should save that energy to talk yourself into something more productive, like finding a better job.

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They do this about every team.  However every season there is some very sad truth to the 'hate'.

I know.  I even posted the Giants one in the anti-Giants thread.

My point is the other ones are more of the "ha ha" ribbing your friends variety.  When he does us, there is some serious venom there.

Magary lives in Northern Virginia and so is knee-deep in Skins nonsense. The Redskins version each year is always particularly harsh but then again Snyder deserves it.

I had seriously forgotten that the team was whoring out the Cheerleaders. It's amazing how much stuff we forget just because there is so much stuff to forget.

Each year, the posts seem to be more about just asking someone to say how they feel about it than anything else. Through the article, the writer mentions himself 9 times. It isn't about saying why the team sucks, it's about how he feels.

I've found more entertaining ****posting here than the low effort ****posting he's paid to try to do.

That was entertaining and fact filled comedy!   

For all intents and purposes this guy hates the Skins for all the obvious reasons.  Let's give him the fact that our Skin Jung Un has established himself for what he's done and achieved. Allen has done nothing but team up with Snyder (SJU) and more mistakes to his credit than successful moves.  Some of the rant was hilarious with ironic accuracy.  I view it as nothing more than a hater rant and reserve my negative arguments with the Skins to be debated among the established followers here in ES.  There's always more then one point of view.   This guys view was pretty damn funny though! 

Damn, that section on Alex Smith is dead on. Picking him up was a prime example of trying to spin an embarrassing public loss into a win and making it worse.

There are last place CFL teams with greater football minds in their front offices than what we've got, and Snyder would hire them if he found out. 

Here's my take on this team's weaknesses:

1. Running Game- Guice going down was truly deflating for the team's production, rookie or not. The whole league knew he would produce. Something that had me going into the season optimistic about coming out and beating teams the way Smith is accustomed, having a strong running game, good TEs and a defense good enough to to get him a bunch of regular season wins. I think we still could potentially get over .500 but Guice going down very first preseason game could define this season retroactively next season if Guice is the real deal. I do not think Kelley, Perine, and C-Thomp will give us the spark we need in that area. Maybe one of the young guys can step up. 

2. Secondary (Particularly CB)- We lost Fuller, who was dependable with good hands in the middle, a place we've been vulnerable. Dunbar can get it done but as an outside #2? Moreau needs to step up because despite Norman's impact, there's a lot of unproven talent in a vital area for today's game. I'm confident in the safeties, Swearinger was a player last year, well-adjusted and Nicholson is a guy that I feel can at least hold down that spot with room for improvement. Overall, I think this level of defense has some holes and major question marks. Nobody but Norman and Swearinger would likely start for most teams. Luckily, I think our front 7 will play well enough as to not leave these guys high and dry.

3. Injuries- This shouldn't be a thing to key in on because this is the case for all 32 teams but for some reason, we see to show promise in particular areas but year after year get decimated. Thompson is a key guy and won't be 100%. If one our top OL go down, we will be in even worse shape with a Guice-less RB corps.

Overall, I think our roster could win ten games if we get a little luck on the injury front and create a lot of turnovers for Smith. I like our pass-catchers. Reed and Crowder are deadly complimentary pieces and I have wanted Richardson on this team since he was a rookie in Seattle. Anyway, our defensive line is instilling great confidence where it wasn't before. 

2 hours ago, MondayNightCowboyKilla89 said:

Here's my take on this team's weaknesses:

1. Running Game- Guice going down was truly deflating for the team's production, rookie or not. The whole league knew he would produce. Something that had me going into the season optimistic about coming out and beating teams the way Smith is accustomed, having a strong running game, good TEs and a defense good enough to to get him a bunch of regular season wins. I think we still could potentially get over .500 but Guice going down very first preseason game could define this season retroactively next season if Guice is the real deal. I do not think Kelley, Perine, and C-Thomp will give us the spark we need in that area. Maybe one of the young guys can step up. 

2. Secondary (Particularly CB)- We lost Fuller, who was dependable with good hands in the middle, a place we've been vulnerable. Dunbar can get it done but as an outside #2? Moreau needs to step up because despite Norman's impact, there's a lot of unproven talent in a vital area for today's game. I'm confident in the safeties, Swearinger was a player last year, well-adjusted and Nicholson is a guy that I feel can at least hold down that spot with room for improvement. Overall, I think this level of defense has some holes and major question marks. Nobody but Norman and Swearinger would likely start for most teams. Luckily, I think our front 7 will play well enough as to not leave these guys high and dry.

3. Injuries- This shouldn't be a thing to key in on because this is the case for all 32 teams but for some reason, we see to show promise in particular areas but year after year get decimated. Thompson is a key guy and won't be 100%. If one our top OL go down, we will be in even worse shape with a Guice-less RB corps.

Overall, I think our roster could win ten games if we get a little luck on the injury front and create a lot of turnovers for Smith. I like our pass-catchers. Reed and Crowder are deadly complimentary pieces and I have wanted Richardson on this team since he was a rookie in Seattle. Anyway, our defensive line is instilling great confidence where it wasn't before. 

#1 - Guice hasn't played a single down in an NFL game that counted.  His 34 yard run was on a hold and would have likely been several yards at most without that hold.  We'll never know.  The only thing we know is he has natural ability and he'll be back for a second chance.  Put it to rest.  It's over for now.  Perine is one fumble away from selling used cars.  CT is at a minimal expectation, the bye week before he gets his leg under him.  Now you've got the rest of the RB's and they can hit the holes as good as the others for +4 yards.  They just gotta make the holes.  It's the OL that makes the running game.  Period. There's no deflation except for expectation. 

#2 -  Fuller played Nickleback.  He's really good at it already.  But he doesn't play Cornerback on the outside bro.  Dunbar is absolutely 100% a Cornerback!  He's not some transitioning WR, or more so a work in progress.  He's progressed already.  He's not a WR for 4 yrs now.  He's coined by his teammates as "GIFTED" and more so, he's becoming a leader.  Pay attention. 

#3 - Injuries..shouldn't be the key???  Really.  How can you say that when this is exactly what kept the OL in shambles all year for 2017.  The fact that the Skins have been injury prone is another thread.  They're definitely a KEY!

Then you're saying all that and think they can get to 10-6.  Man you shouldn't smoke that stuff.  Richardson is on the upside and the UP is coming or never going to be...we shall see.  Crowder is down and possibly seen his peak already.  I believe we've seen Crowders best and he has more downside then upside.  The DL is underrated and clearly the difference maker in the defensive game.   The Skins will go as the DL goes.  

Posting like you've just smoked weed is banter. If you're a teenager and just a Skins fan then disregard. 

6 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

#1 - Guice hasn't played a single down in an NFL game that counted.  His 34 yard run was on a hold and would have likely been several yards at most without that hold.  We'll never know.  The only thing we know is he has natural ability and he'll be back for a second chance.  Put it to rest.  It's over for now.  Perine is one fumble away from selling used cars.  CT is at a minimal expectation, the bye week before he gets his leg under him.  Now you've got the rest of the RB's and they can hit the holes as good as the others for +4 yards.  They just gotta make the holes.  It's the OL that makes the running game.  Period. There's no deflation except for expectation. 

#2 -  Fuller played Nickleback.  He's really good at it already.  But he doesn't play Cornerback on the outside bro.  Dunbar is absolutely 100% a Cornerback!  He's not some transitioning WR, or more so a work in progress.  He's progressed already.  He's not a WR for 4 yrs now.  He's coined by his teammates as "GIFTED" and more so, he's becoming a leader.  Pay attention. 

#3 - Injuries..shouldn't be the key???  Really.  How can you say that when this is exactly what kept the OL in shambles all year for 2017.  The fact that the Skins have been injury prone is another thread.  They're definitely a KEY!

Then you're saying all that and think they can get to 10-6.  Man you shouldn't smoke that stuff.  Richardson is on the upside and the UP is coming or never going to be...we shall see.  Crowder is down and possibly seen his peak already.  I believe we've seen Crowders best and he has more downside then upside.  The DL is underrated and clearly the difference maker in the defensive game.   The Skins will go as the DL goes.  

Posting like you've just smoked weed is banter. 

Jeez dude, it looks like you NEED some weed. I know 29 has proven nothing but it's obvious he would have been the best back. You can say coulda, woulda, shoulda but it changes the entire dynamic of the offense. No doubt this makes it much harder on Jay and Alex.

I mentioned how Fuller plays the inside of the field. I don't know what crack you read on. I never said injuries aren't the key, it was actually the opposite.I brought up injuries because that derailed our season worse than the other teams. It was unreal. I know this is the case for every team but our record would have likely been 2-3 games better. So, me thinking we could be 10-6 if everything goes exceptional is not inconsistent considering I feel they will win 8 games or so.

Your opinion on Crowder is whatever. He will play better with healthy Reed. He had a bad season. I still feel he is one of the better slots in the league. I don't know why you came at me hostile other than you misread several things I mentioned. 420 Bro!

Archived