Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Why Your Team Sucks- Washington Redskins

Chachie

20 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Is that good? Unless Gruden is Joe Gibbs, I don't think that's good.

It's neutral? I personally liked Mark Brunell a lot but the fact that he was on the back nine of his career was not lost on me. Alex is also getting up there in age. I'm hoping our o-line will be a lot better than Brunell's was. 

On 8/14/2018 at 11:40 AM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Your quarterback: The Skins didn’t want to pay Kirk Cousins $84 million guaranteed, so here’s what they did instead: they traded a third-round pick and promising cornerback Kendall Fuller to Kansas City in exchange for a quarterback who is five years older than Cousins, averages nearly 60 fewer yards per game, and averages nearly a full yard less per attempt. Then they gave THAT guy $71 million guaranteed.

BFS, I am not quoting you because I agree/disagree with what you said. I just quoted a portion of the article I wanted to talk about.

This is along the lines of @Califan007 thoughts that the author of this article is not exactly truthful. I am going from memory here but, ...

A. Isn't Kirk's contract fully guaranteed, which is unusual for an NFL contract. Meaning if he is cut on Day 1, Kirk is still owed the full 84 million. Smith's contract guarantees total 71 million but it is not fully guaranteed. If the Skins choose to cut him at some point, Smith may never see $71 from the Skins.

B. Isn't Kirk's contract for a shorter duration that Smith's? On a per year basis, is Kirk not getting significantly more money per year than Smith, in "guarantees", 

Leaving out these facts is intentionally misleading people.

10 minutes ago, slaga said:

BFS, I am not quoting you because I agree/disagree with what you said. I just quoted a portion of the article I wanted to talk about.

This is along the lines of @Califan007 thoughts that the author of this article is not exactly truthful. I am going from memory here but, ...

A. Isn't Kirk's contract fully guaranteed, which is unusual for an NFL contract. Meaning if he is cut on Day 1, Kirk is still owed the full 84 million. Smith's contract guarantees total 71 million but it is not fully guaranteed. If the Skins choose to cut him at some point, Smith may never see $71 from the Skins.

B. Isn't Kirk's contract for a shorter duration that Smith's? On a per year basis, is Kirk not getting significantly more money per year than Smith, in "guarantees", 

Even if that's true (and I trust you that it is), the likelihood of either guy being cut before they collect their money is pretty low. I suppose that the Skins could part ways with Smith after 2-3 years, but I'm also guessing that MOST of his guaranteed money is front-loaded. 

6 minutes ago, slaga said:

Smith’s extension was actually 4/94M with 71 being guaranteed Vs. that of Cousins 3/84M guaranteed.  I don’t believe there is any way the Skins can get out of paying Smith 71M no matter what happens.

11 minutes ago, slaga said:

Yep...and it's another reason why the "humor" isn't very funny. If you're gonna exaggerate, go all out so it's obvious it's not factual. If you're not gonna go all out, base your humor in truth so, yanno, it has a chance at being funny lol...

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Smith’s extension was actually 4/94M with 71 being guaranteed Vs. that of Cousins 3/84M guaranteed.  I don’t believe there is any way the Skins can get out of paying Smith 71M no matter what happens.

If they cut Smith after this season they don't owe him $71M...they owe him something like $53M. If the Vikings cut Cousins after this season, he gets $31M more than Smith.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

53M more or total including 2018 salary?

Smith is guaranteed $53M no matter when he's cut, that includes his 2018 salary. Kirk is guaranteed $84M no matter when he's cut, that includes his 2018 salary.

If Smith is still on the roster next NFL season (March something, I think), He's guaranteed another $18M or something like that there...basically the entire $71M becomes guaranteed next March.

EDIT: Ok, checked the actual amounts...it's apparently $55M is guaranteed at signing, and another $16M is guaranteed in March 2019.

Just now, Califan007 said:

Smith is guaranteed $53M no matter when he's cut, that includes his 2018 salary. Kirk is guaranteed $84M no matter when he's cut, that includes his 2018 salary.

If Smith is still on the roster next NFL season (March something, I think), He's guaranteed another $18M or something like that there...basically the entire $71M becomes guaranteed next March.

Thanks.

He would have to play worse than I think he’s capable to not be here next March.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Thanks.

He would have to play worse than I think he’s capable to not be here next March.

Yep..for all intents and purposes Smith is getting a minimum of $71M for 3 years. I had argued before that the Skins' offer to Kirk was almost exactly the same amount and structure, that he'd get $53M at signing and another $19M guaranteed at the beginning of the 2nd year of his contract--that he would have to be cut after one year to not get $72M over 3 years. Of course Cousins could get a ****load more in free agency lol...so there was really no reason to agree to that offer.

24 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

71/4=17.75

84/3=28

The author is saying that Washington would not pay Kirk $84 million but is willing to pay $71 million (implying almost the same) for a statistically less productive QB, when in fact Washington is paying Smith roughly 63% of what the Vikings are paying Kirk per year. On top of that, the Vikings fully guaranteed the contract, which is unusual in the NFL, and Washington did not.

1 minute ago, slaga said:

71/4=17.75

84/3=28

The author is saying that Washington would not pay Kirk $84 million but is willing to pay $71 million (implying almost the same) for a statistically less productive QB, when in fact Washington is paying Smith roughly 63% of what the Vikings are paying Kirk per year. On top of that, the Vikings fully guaranteed the contract and Washington did not.

They don’t get to pay him 71 for 4 seasons, that 71M would be paid out for three seasons.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They don’t get to pay him 71 for 4 seasons, that 71M would be paid out for three seasons.

You are correct. The contract is essentially a 3/71 contract for Smith with options for years 4 and 5. Washington has Smith 2/55, 3/71, 4/90 or 5/111. Which ends up being 27.5/year, 23.7/year, 22.5/year or 22.2/year respectively vs. 28/year for Kirk. At the 3 year mark Smith will have made 85% of what Kirk did, which his closer than I initially thought. It is a little murkier looking down the road though. After year 3, the Vikings will be looking to pay Kirk again or finding his replacement while the Skins still have Smith under contract for a couple more years at a much more manageable salary. 

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Why are people getting offended over this brutally honest (and clearly satire) article?  They do these for every team every year.  

I think that while he does every team, he has extra venom for us.

Need proof?  Look at the first line of his "articles".  What does ours say?

Your team: Go **** yourself.

Very professional Drew

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Exactly - he gets more money if he's here for the 4th season. And, by then, what was originally guaranteed is pretty irrelevant. 

Actually that is kind of the turning point though between the contracts of the 2 QBs. For $6 million more than the Vikings paid Kirk for 3 seasons, the Skins have Smith for a 4th year. The Vikings will be doubling down on Cousins or investing in a different QB during Smith's 4th year with the Skins. Where Kirk's contract ends at year 3, Smith's is only 60% of the way through its duration. 

14 minutes ago, slaga said:

Actually that is kind of the turning point though between the contracts of the 2 QBs. For $6 million more than the Vikings paid Kirk for 3 seasons, the Skins have Smith for a 4th year. The Vikings will be doubling down on Cousins or investing in a different QB during Smith's 4th year with the Skins. Where Kirk's contract ends at year 3, Smith's is only 60% of the way through its duration. 

That's pretty significant, although Cousins will still be young enough to invest in.

4 hours ago, slaga said:

Oh, sorry to be unclear. I like the Smith contract overall...but I was simply comparing the two as it pertains to the teams owing the players the guaranteed portion. Nice summary!

Archived