Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Draft Day Thread

Wildbunny

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Wouldn't it be wild if the Redskins starting Dline were all draft picks? No plan B free agents. No, patchwork guys or overpaid mercenaries? The Offensive line has a chance to be all draft picks too. Williams, Scherff, Moses, Roulier, ________. 

Imagine that. What a flip from the early Snyder years.

That's ****ing amazing. We're 12 picks away from possibly have both lines be 100% homegrown like an adult football team. I don't know what to say. 

8 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I think depending on who is there, the redskins need to recoup that 3rd rounder.  Looking for a C, RB or CB for the next 3 picks

I thought the same. If Ronald Jones, Nick Chubb, and Derrius Guice are gone, recoup that pick. WalterFootball has us taking Jones, I would not be against sliding up ahead of TB, and get Guice. Use one of our 2 5ths?

22 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

Where do you think the outrage in this thread came from? It’s the mock drafts. No surprise a reporter would ask the same dumb question most fans upset with the pick are saying.

Not sure that's entirely fair. Many of us have done our own research - and no I do not believe I know more than they do. But I do have my own eyes and done a lot of research - as have many others with concerns. 

Also, I think people are getting value and talent level mixed up. I really don;t care what the value is. If you like a guy and want him, you take him when you can. But you can;t ignore if there are guys with a much higher talent level. And I believe based on my own research and then comparing to guys I see as having credibility - there were a few guys left on the board that look to be generational players. Payne may fit a need and can make us better. But not as much as some other guys left on the board. 

Time will tell. He is a Redskin now. So I will be rooting for him to be awesome. In the end I just want what's best for this team and for us to be able to watch the Lombardi raised again. 

As for the people criticizing the criticism. Reading some of it, I'd agree with it if we are all digesting these players for the first time or have blind faith trust that if the Redskins like the dude, he must be good.   But on a lot of these guys, many of us have digested players for months.  And I don't think we got Ron Wolf running our draft where hey if they think the guy is a stud then he is a stud.

Having said that, we are all big time amateurs as to our opinions.  So whether we like a player or don't like a player.  It clearly isn't fact.  But if anything I think it would be weird if we spent months living and dying with the draft (just because its fun) and forming opinions about players...and just throwing that all out the window just because the Redskins made a move?  I feel the same way about every player picked by every team.

I get the whole open the present on Christmas feeling for the draft.  So I am not trying to spoil that mood. :)  I don't think Payne is a bad player.   Good player.  But IMO bad pick IMO.  But will see.  Onward and upward with the 2nd round. :)

As much as I loathe Boob Allen and I just want to punch him right in the suckhole every time I see his stupid face or hear the bull**** dipping out of his stupid ****ing mouth, he has done well in the draft. He hasn't drafted any complete and total busts that I can think of.

Still...

4f0ba10ad194efd71f0ef3ba729331640e16fef2

18 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Wouldn't it be wild if the Redskins starting Dline were all draft picks? No plan B free agents. No, patchwork guys or overpaid mercenaries? The Offensive line has a chance to be all draft picks too. Williams, Scherff, Moses, Roulier, ________. 

Imagine that. What a flip from the early Snyder years.

I would really like us to take Guice (Jones not so much) - having said that, locking down our Oline with all drafted players would be pretty awesome. All of them pretty young outside Williams. 

34 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I cannot believe the reporter at Jays presser yesterday that asked him why they took Payne at 13 when all the mock drafts had him sliding, I hope people realize mock drafts are meaningless and do not reflect the actual draft boards of the teams drafting yesterday.

If you rerank the 1st round after next season based on each of these rookies production in 2018 I guarantee you the results won't match the actual draft.

Give the kid a chance to play before you draw conclusions on what he is.

I get the point in regards to it being a stupid question for a reporter to ask.  But Jay also didn't sell it very well that Payne was actually the top guy on their board at that point.  "He was up there" or something of that nature. 

As for the pick, I don't hate it.  I like adding a big Alabama boy in the middle of the defense.  Like many others, it's more just the feeling of thinking we might have been able to get more out of the 13 slot.

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

I would really like us to take Guice (Jones not so much) - having said that, locking down our Oline with all drafted players would be pretty awesome. All of them pretty young outside Williams. 

I'm leaning running back too... but yeah... it'd be pretty sweet. I suppose it could still happen with a good fourth round pick or if the light suddenly turns on for Arie even if we go with a position other than guard in round 2.

Still if 7/8 of our defensive and offensive linemen are drafted... that's progress in a way. Even more so, if the lines are strong.

So @Skinsinparadise, does this fit yout need for a "big" move or is it more of the same in terms of making this a "meh" offseason?

And going by the results angle, if we wind up say top 10 against the run this year (from 32), does that change your grade of the draft/free agency/the offseason? And what about if we wind up with an 11-5 record?

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

So @Skinsinparadise, does this fit yout need for a "big" move or is it more of the same in terms of making this a "meh" offseason?

And going by the results angle, if we wind up say top 10 against the run this year (from 32), does that change your grade of the draft/free agency/the offseason? And what about if we wind up with an 11-5 record?

If we go 11-5 I can think of a few 'skins fans who'll be very unhappy. Not skinsinparadise, but a few who are banking really hard on hating. I won't name 'em because that'd be a call out, but they've been pretty prominent in a couple of off season threads.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm leaning running back too... but yeah... it'd be pretty sweet. I suppose it could still happen with a good fourth round pick or if the light suddenly turns on for Arie even if we go with a position other than guard in round 2.

Still if 7/8 of our defensive and offensive linemen are drafted... that's progress in a way. Even more so, if the lines are strong.

I love that we're investing in our lines. I also love that we're developing players. I think the question is as far as projection, where do they see Arie and Kelis? Are they maxing out as career backups or do they have potential to be regular starters, all pro? And what's the projections of the guys in the draft.

Reading some of these reactions is priceless. Good lord our fan base is dumb. For years you guys cry we don't go DLine, then when we go DL for the 2nd year in a row, you cry because we didn't take a freaking Safety. Its like when we took Scherff in 2015 and people whined that we took him over Leonard Williams. Well Scherff is now no worse than the 2nd best G in football. I have no issues with Payne. I think Vea was better, but he was taken before us, what are you gunna do?

As far as him "only" being a run stopper, I don't really buy that. But even if he is, so what? You know who else was "only" run stoppers? Vince Wilfork. Haloti Ngata. Two future HOF-ers who were foundational pieces of championship defenses. Last I checked, stopping the run is pretty damn important, especially in a division that's got 3 All Pro caliber backs in it now.

And the trade down stuff...yeah that sounds great in theory. But trading down also gets you Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly instead of Desean Jackson and Jordy Nelson. We traded down a bunch in 2002 and ended up settling on Patrick freaking Ramsey(passing on talents like Ed Reed). In 2011 we traded down and while we got Kerrigan who's a fine player, we passed on JJ Watt.

I don't LOVE Payne, but he's a fine pick. He is good talent at a position of dire need and you create a potential dominant unit in your DL with him, Allen, and Ionnidis. You win games up front in this league and we have a potentially domiant DL now that can carry the team.

I think Allen is an ass but this is a great ****ing pick. 

We were 32nd in the league against the run last year folks.  32nd.  We have needed a true NT since we started running the 3-4 but never had one...until now. 

12 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

wouldn't need to come off the field on third down/ passing downs/

This is the one trait I saw in Payne that had me want him more than Vea. I’m sure we’ll rotate him to keep him fresh throughout the game as we do with all lineman. I see Payne with a high ceiling as he’s only 20. Vea to me was just a big man. I loved his size and strength but his foot and hand work were questionable and I felt likely unfixable. Payne to me has the basics down and will only get much better. I think he’ll be OK this season but will start to become a force next season.

McClain is likely the odd man out now so we may have 3-4 million to spend on a pro left guard come June. 

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ziggy Hood can pack his ****ing bags. 

If Phil Taylor can play 10-15 snaps all year, this defense will be a league best. 

I’m gonna need to see the secondary before I go that far, but barring injuries, with the talent accumulated on that side of the ball and in coaching I am optimistic for a top 1/2 defense. 

I especially thinks it gelps having Smith at QB. He doesn’t make many mistakes that put the D in a bad spot. 

Really wanted a trade back and a rb, but I understand the pick. Can't hate on the best run stopper in the draft. I do think he was taken a bit high but with vea going earlier it was either **** or get off the pot.

I hope he can make a big difference paired with Allen.

47 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Two questions:

1. Why did James fall so far?

2. Why hasn't Hankins signed with anyone? 

To question 1, I read somewhere there were injury concerns.

To question 2, besides having a Poston as an agent as a problem, he is probably asking too much. Or he may be getting lazy and just wants to skip OTAs and mandatory mini-camps. Could be anything.

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

With Payne, we can't really draft Hurst (Michigan, DL)? He adds something totally different but man, it's kinda luxury now. With Ion, Allen, Lanier and Payne now. 

You sig should remind what this defense can do when healthy. Add Payne to that line, and it could be very good....

46 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get the point in regards to it being a stupid question for a reporter to ask.  But Jay also didn't sell it very well that Payne was actually the top guy on their board at that point.  "He was up there" or something of that nature. 

As for the pick, I don't hate it.  I like adding a big Alabama boy in the middle of the defense.  Like many others, it's more just the feeling of thinking we might have been able to get more out of the 13 slot.

The question a good reporter should have asked is if anyone offered a trade to us (particularly if the Saints did).

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we can stay healthy, we're going to have a top five defense.  They were close to that level last season before all of our good players except Kerrigan got hurt.

The frustrating part of this is I bet I can  find this statement or paraphrase of this for the last 8 years running.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we can stay healthy, we're going to have a top five defense.  They were close to that level last season before all of our good players except Kerrigan got hurt.

This might be a bit optimistic--but a much better defense for sure, but top 10-ish is possible. We shut the Raiders, Rams, and Eagles in the 1st three weeks (turnovers killed us with the Eagles--3 by the worst starting QB in the league now that he's gone and in Minnesota.), and then **** the bed in KC. So, I like our defense more--corner is a huge question though, losing both Fuller and Breeland. I still hate losing Fuller.

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

To question 1, I read somewhere there were injury concerns.

He tore his ACL at the beginning of his sophomore year.

I think James has good but not great upside like people were assuming.  He's not an instinctive playmaker whose going to go out and get you the football like Minkah.  And I also think he was a lot more raw than people were acknowledging, he's a little slow with his coverage reads and he is far more comfortable in box duty than he is in deep zone.

5 minutes ago, nonniey said:

The frustrating part of this is I bet I can  find this statement or paraphrase of this for the last 8 years running.

I don't know, I think we were trash before last year.  We were soft as hell.  Painfully soft up the middle.  Allen and the emergence of Ioannidis made a huge difference for last year's defense in the games before Allen went down.  Zach Brown was a difference maker and massive upgrade over Will Compton.  And Nicholson and Fuller were revelations too.

If Allen and Norman stay healthy this season, they're going to be good.  Especially with Payne in the middle now.  If they get hurt again, then we won't be good.  But that puts them in exactly the same boat as any team that loses most of their best players to injury.

Archived