Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Draft Day Thread

Wildbunny

John Schneider said the Seahawks would have taken Rashaad Penny at No. 18. Also shared this tidbit: "A true rarity is that we had a team call us after we selected him to try to acquire him. I've never experienced that."

36 replies209 retweets633 likes

Retweet

1 hour ago, Nerm said:

As a Cowboy fan, I would appreciate it if you added the Cowboys getting a Witten clone in the draft today as another worst case scenario.  You know, someone who will make 11 pro bowls for them.  He doesn't have to break Witten's franchise records for receptions or yards.  I'm not greedy.  It would be fine if he just ties them.

Hope you get Sutton who supposedly the Cowboys want in round 2.  If iI want it to happen than better yet, I'll say I hope the Cowboys don't get Sutton.  

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree. I was just looking at Finlay's article, he made the same point.

• ...Iowa C James Daniels - Yes, the Redskins like Chase Roullier as their center, but Daniels would be an upgrade in the middle, and the team could slide Roullier to left guard. Whereever Daniels goes in Round 2, the team that drafts him will undoubtedly say he had a first-round grade. Lock of the century.

Would love Daniels as our 2nd round pick but it would also be nice to trade down with SD or Pitt as they have 3rd round picks and need QBs as their starters are just about at retirement.  Could it happen is the question.

Albert Breer who is usually somewhat on the money

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/27/nfl-draft-2018-news-updates-buzz-rounds-two-three?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Ten things I’m hearing just before the second and third rounds of the NFL draft kick off...

1. With the No. 33 and 35 picks, look for the Browns to address the running back and offensive line spots they eschewed yesterday. LSU’s Derrius Guice is the logical name at tailback, of course, but keep an eye on Georgia’s Nick Chubb as well. And as for offensive linemen, Nevada’s Austin Corbett (who the Browns could play at right tackle) or Texas’ Connor Williams could be in the mix.

2. I’d expect the Giants to go offensive line at the pick in between Cleveland’s two picks as well. UTEP G Will Hernandez fits the demeanor that Dave Gettleman wants in his linemen, and has been connected to New York through the Day 2 rumor mill. Some viewed Hernandez as a first-round type, and he’d be a nice add to a revamped group that’ll be anchored by Nate Solder.

5. Two other sliders to keep an eye on: BC DE Harold Landry and Iowa G/C James Daniels. I’ve heard Landry would be seriously in play for the Colts’ picks at 36 and 37. Daniels, I’ve had a harder time placing. Landry’s fall is largely due to a subpar final collegiate season, while there were some questions about Daniels’ ability and edge to lead a line as a center.

6. Other teams are keeping an eye on Kansas City to come up the board—the Chiefs actually talked to the Eagles last night, I’m told, about acquiring the No. 32 pick. It’d be for a corner, which makes sense in the wake of the Marcus Peters trade, and given the players (like Iowa’s Josh Jackson and Colorado’s Isaia Oliver) available.

8. Goedert was, at one point, in the first-round conversation—and I’ve heard the fact that he didn’t run a 40 did hurt him. Because of the level of competition he faced in college, there were some questions about his speed and explosiveness that could’ve been answered, at least to a reasonable degree, through the testing.

9. The idea that Guice could be the fifth or sixth back taken would’ve surprised some people a few days ago. The sense I get is that questions about his maturity were a little bigger deal than I realized a few days ago—especially since Guice is at a position where there was a cluster of quality players.

10. I feel for Michigan’s Maurice Hurst, a quality player who may fall further tonight because a lot of teams, as I understand it, are concerned with his heart condition. A couple teams I talked to last night said they’d be surprised if he goes in the second round.

1. Dane Brugler Retweeted amateur football scout

If Dallas wants Dallas (Goedert), I think they'll need to trade up. I'd be surprised if he gets passed Miami at No. 42.

2. A couple of hot names drawing interest for possible trades up: #BC pass-rusher Harold Landry, #OKState QB Mason Rudolph, #UGA RB Nick Chubb.

38 replies255 retweets665 likes

7 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Too bad you can't just toss em a stimpak or something, if things do indeed go wrong.

I hope Jay and co. really took time to analyze what went wrong last year, and gets these guys ready for hardnosed football, or they will surely drop like flies again, because as bad as last year was, there's no way it can just be attributed to randomness.

Certain things are random, others are trends.

I actually go a different direction: I think we have too many key positions on the roster who have a history of unavailability. And then we count on them being healthy, and are surprised when they are not.

This is because Allen is an imbecile. 

Of all all the things I put on Jay, and some would think I’d tag him for the Kennedy assassination, I don’t put the injuries on him.

I do put bad opening season preparation on him. But that’s different.   

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

9. The idea that Guice could be the fifth or sixth back taken would’ve surprised some people a few days ago. The sense I get is that questions about his maturity were a little bigger deal than I realized a few days ago—especially since Guice is at a position where there was a cluster of quality players.

I've heard several times today that he could end up dropping because of the whole maturity thing. No idea if he could drop into the 4th though...

1 minute ago, TK said:

I've heard several times today that he could end up dropping because of the whole maturity thing. No idea if he could drop into the 4th though...

If there’s a question of maturity, I’d HARD pass on him.  Jay and company don’t seem like the right group of guys to handle head cases.  

Thats not an insult.  I wouldn’t want to either. Some are just better st it than others and I don’t think it would be a good fit.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So idiotic.  Seahawks recently won the SB, thanks in large part to an immature RB.

And say what you want about him, but Pete Carroll is one of the best at handling a bunch of big personalities and head cases.  

Im not sure Jay would want to or would be good at it. 

6 minutes ago, TK said:

Talking heads on the NFL Network, referencing personality issues, but still think he is going early 2nd.  I guess will see.

1 minute ago, UKskins said:

Any love for Shaq Griffin on here? Hope he goes to a decent franchise, even if it's unlikely to be us.

He's a very intriguing prospect.  One who has no comparison.  REALLY difficult to gauge what he'll be able to do at the next level.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Talking heads on the NFL Network, referencing personality issues, but still think he is going early 2nd.  I guess will see.

Yep just watching that. Gonna be interesting. You still in on Guice with our second rounder SIP.

I just keep going back to Doug saying DT, RB & all off season that they were going to fix the RB position. I still think we go RB in the 2nd, just not sure if it's RoJo or Guice. 

Just now, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Yep just watching that. Gonna be interesting. You still in on Guice with our second rounder SIP.

At pick 44 in 2 seconds.  I go back and forth about trading up.   Having said that I got no idea what these teams know about Guice.  If its just about him making up what he was questioned about at the combine.  I am fine with it.  I don't like it but its not a deal breaker.  The way Mayock was just talking, it gave me the impression that there is more.  So I would need to know what they know if so.

I feel it best to warn the DC community; if we draft Daniels you may see a euphoric white man running naked passed your home singing the Cheers theme song, i beg of you not to call the authorities, I promise to return home without touching anything.

At pick 44 in 2 seconds.  I go back and forth about trading up.   Having said that I got no idea what these teams know about Guice.  If its just about him making up what he was questioned about at the combine.  I am fine with it.  I don't like it but its not a deal breaker.  The way Mayock was just talking, it gave me the impression that there is more.  So I would need to know what they know if so.

Agreed. If he slides to 44 I take him too.

7 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

A draft day surprise?!

Unfortunately JLC is often a know nothing idiot when it comes to anything Redskins related.

But please God let it be true.

I do think eventually both Bruce and Jay will be working for Jon.  For like 3 miserable years until they all get fired. Except maybe Jon. That contract...

7 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

He's a very intriguing prospect.  One who has no comparison.  REALLY difficult to gauge what he'll be able to do at the next level.

Yeah. I'm a sucker for the underdog. Really want him to beat the odds and make it. Agree it's really hard to know how effective he can be but he's a solid kid, and clearly has incredible amount of heart. Fingers crossed for him.

10 minutes ago, TK said:

I just keep going back to Doug saying DT, RB & all off season that they were going to fix the RB position. I still think we go RB in the 2nd, just not sure if it's RoJo or Guice. 

Looks like Chubb goes early this round.   Guice who knows?  Like I said in my post above, I don't know if there is something juicy out there about him.  I've heard it mentioned by a few sources that Ronald Jones was a weird interview around the league and weird in a bad way.

At 44, at RB I don't know if I'd take anyone further down the chain that those 3 guys.  I don't know what to make out of Kerryon Johnson.  Keim claims they don't like him.  But that was weeks ago so maybe he is wrong or that changed.  I like Nyheim Hines but I think he's too small to be a featured back.   Maybe Mark Walton?  But I figure they can trade down and still get him.

I was just thinking there isn't much they can do to upset me tonight.  I like a lot of players.  But there is one thing that would and that is to reach for a RB that I don't love at least in terms of 2nd round value -- like go after Wadley or Ballage in the 2nd.  I am taking a chance by putting it out there in the universe -- now watch that happen. :(  

Archived