Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Draft Day Thread

Wildbunny

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This might be a bit optimistic--but a much better defense for sure, but top 10-ish is possible. We shut the Raiders, Rams, and Eagles in the 1st three weeks (turnovers killed us with the Eagles--3 by the worst starting QB in the league now that he's gone and in Minnesota.), and then **** the bed in KC. So, I like our defense more--corner is a huge question though, losing both Fuller and Breeland. I still hate losing Fuller.

Losing Fuller was a big blow, but Josh Norman is still here.  He's one of the best corners in the league when healthy.  Last year he played through broken ribs.  If he's healed up, I think he'll be good again.  And Holsey and Moreau have talent.  Plus there is a decent chance that we could get a rookie starter at the position at 44 if someone like Josh Jackson or Carlton Davis is sitting there.  They'd probably be the BPA.

At the end of the day, the front seven looks stacked.  Allen, Payne, Kerrigan, Smith, Anderson, Ioannidis, Brown... passable depth in McClain and McGee and Spaight.  Still need a guy or two, but that is a really good group.  Better than we've  had in a while.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

So @Skinsinparadise, does this fit yout need for a "big" move or is it more of the same in terms of making this a "meh" offseason?

It's really an odd question to me and somewhat condescending sounding, too.   Was it a surprise that they had a pick in first round and they took a player?  Big move? :)

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

And going by the results angle, if we wind up say top 10 against the run this year (from 32), does that change your grade of the draft/free agency/the offseason? And what about if we wind up with an 11-5 record?

Another condescending question that isn't about a debate but getting a dig in.  You got your dig in. Nice job. 

I'll debate people who are actually discussing the actual player -- all in fun.  That would not include your post. 

22 minutes ago, nonniey said:

The question a good reporter should have asked is if anyone offered a trade to us (particularly if the Saints did).

The frustrating part of this is I bet I can  find this statement or paraphrase of this for the last 8 years running.

If they trade with the Saints, probably don't get Payne. Word is the Lions wanted him.

After sleeping on it, the more I like the Payne pick. What the Eagles Super Bowl run showed more than anything was that smart teams double down on position groups. With Payne and Allen as the foundation of our defense, our two youngest players, and the ones with the most potential, are fairly versatile/scheme-flexible defensive lineman. No matter who comes and goes over the next few years, we know we will be set with two studs up the middle. 

Of course this is all predicated on Payne's ability to get after the passer. After digging a bit more into Payne, it does seem that his position at Bama was fairly strict in its acts -- stop the run and eat up blocks for the LBs to make the plays. Greg Cossell, one of the analysts I trust the most, had pretty high praise for the guy and believes he can turn into a Pro Bowler in the league:

https://twitter.com/gregcosell/status/989532106484273152

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It wouldn't shock me if Guice fell into the third round.  He's talented enough to go in the first but riskier than people realize.  He needs hand holding and I suspect NFL teams don't want to have to deal with that.

Sort of like Cook last year.  We don't have the luxury of passing on a talent like his though if he's there at 44.

Winners and losers day 1 from Brinson.   They did give it to SD for D. James.  But I'll forget that.  :(  I enjoyed seeing the Giants on the losers list :) -- the Barkley pick is interesting.  He's a stud.  But passing on Darnold?  And passing on apparently some big offers?  But don't love seeing Barkley in our division.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-winners-and-losers-ravens-cardinals-come-out-on-top-in-round-1/?ftag=SPM-16-10abi8e

6 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

If we can trade up in the 2nd and get Hernandez or Guice or one of the two drops to us then this will be the best draft we have had in a couple decades. 

Thing is, we've had pretty productive drafts going all the way back until 2009. Every draft has 3-4 players that are still productive in the league--with a couple of real studs: Kerrigan, Trent Williams, Brandon Scherff, Jonathan Allen (potentially), Jordan Reed (when healthy); some really good players: Chris Thompson, Jamison Crowder, Morgan Moses, etc.

48 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we can stay healthy, we're going to have a top five defense.  

Too bad you can't just toss em a stimpak or something, if things do indeed go wrong.

I hope Jay and co. really took time to analyze what went wrong last year, and gets these guys ready for hardnosed football, or they will surely drop like flies again, because as bad as last year was, there's no way it can just be attributed to randomness.

15 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Sort of like Cook last year.  We don't have the luxury of passing on a talent like his though if he's there at 44.

I was a huge Cook guy last year.  But preferred to sit back and see if he falls.  In retrospect, I was wrong about waiting.  The Vikings traded up and looked good for doing it until Cook's injury.  Now, I'd consider doing it for Guice -- depending on the price.   

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It wouldn't shock me if Guice fell into the third round.  He's talented enough to go in the first but riskier than people realize.  He needs hand holding and I suspect NFL teams don't want to have to deal with that.

I don't think he will drop out of the 2nd.  As soon as a team takes or moves up to take Nick Chubb, Guice will go soon after.  I'm not sure that Guice will fall to us with the 12th pick in the 2nd round.

5 minutes ago, skinsfan834 said:

After digging a bit more into Payne, it does seem that his position at Bama was fairly strict in its acts -- stop the run and eat up blocks for the LBs to make the plays.

Those who criticize Payne’s lack of pass rushing stats need to understand this. Believe me, Payne has all the tools to rush the passer but in so many cases, his LBs or safeties would get there first. That is the essential ‘Bama pass rush technique used for years. 

2 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Being unhappy with the pick value is different than being unhappy with the player.

I understand this, however I said "the pick" not "the player".  I also said it was hard for me to see them pass on James whom I assume was one of the players who offered more value. But if the team had them rated the same (so they claim anyway) I can see the reason for this move.

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I don't think he will drop out of the 2nd.  As soon as a team takes or moves up to take Nick Chubb, Guice will go soon after.  I'm not sure that Guice will fall to us with the 12th pick in the 2nd round.

All it takes is one team to say we love his upside, to hell with the maturity concerns.  But it also wouldn't shock me if no team said that in the second round.  There are still so many good players left on the board that I could see teams saying, nah, let's go with a safer choice like Mike Geisecki (or whoever).  In the third round there won't be as many guys who are almost as good as him, which would make taking a chance on him far more appealing.

13 minutes ago, skinsfan834 said:

What the Eagles Super Bowl run showed more than anything was that smart teams double down on position groups.

What they showed is that you can win no matter what if you can control the line of scrimmage against anybody.  Same as what the Giants showed with their two Eli Superbowls.

Same as what Alabama showed in two championship seasons in three years, both of which Da'Ron Payne was a part of.

It's a model of team building that will always work at every level of the sport.

There was a lot of smoke around Payne before the draft so that didn't end up being a smokescreen.  The only smoke screen was that they liked D. James better -- and some still think they do even after this pick.  But who knows.   

Of the 2nd round guys, the most smoke I can think of is:

Guice, Ronald Jones, Josh Jackson.  Some on Crosby (though I think 44 is rich for him) and Anthony Miller

It's ironic, I telegraphed BEFORE it went down my worst case scenario at QB which was to trade a pick for a veteran.  That's exactly what they did.  I laid out BEFORE the draft my worst case scenario for the draft would be Payne taken right at 13 -- I could live with Payne in a trade down.  They did that, too.  Heck last fall my top worry was Barkley would go to the Giants.  That happened, too. So I got some reverse karma cooking. 

I am going to play Costanza for the rest of the off season. I am going with the opposite to see if my luck changes.  So here goes

Don't trade up for Guice or Hernandez!

If you see Anthony Miller or Christian Kirk at 44 -- run far far away!

If Chubb somehow falls to 44 don't take him

No Harold Landry or L. Carter the pass rush is just fine!

I would have preferred James or Edmunds but I am fine with Payne. All I can really go off on is the consensus among the media "experts". 

Wasnt a reach pick. 

It seems like the Skins board isnt pure BPA but has a need element to it. How much does "need" dictate their board, i dont know. 

They were set on taking Payne before the draft and even though consensus BPA fell to them, they still took Payne. 

Im sure Payne was their BPA on their board .. but did they discount James or Edmunds bc they were run stoppers and the Skins wanted to address the run?

I dont think the Skins approach the first round or the draft as pure BPA.   

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's ironic, I telegraphed BEFORE it went down my worst case scenario at QB which was to trade a pick for a veteran.  That's exactly what they did.  I laid out BEFORE the draft my worst case scenario for the draft would be Payne taken right at 13 -- I could live with Payne in a trade down.  They did that, too.  Heck last fall my top worry was Barkley would go to the Giants.  That happened, too. So I got some reverse karma cooking. 

I'm really hoping your worst case scenario for #44 is that the Skins draft a future HOF player...#fingerscrossed

Archived