Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

He doesn’t want to be here because we told him we didn’t want him for 3 straight years 

Umm when you franchise him for 2 years in a row at a top 5 salary, it shows you want him.  We could have made a trade in the past 2 offsesasons but we didnt

Just now, skinfan2k said:

alex smith isnt a statue.  Hes a better player for this offense.  

Kirk doesn't want to be here, get rid of him.  We dont need a QB who doesn't want to be here as teh leader of this team

Statue thing was just because he's old.  I've also been up since 6:30 AM EST on January 29, 2018.  So I may be a little bit more delirious than usual.

He absolutely wants to be here as the leader of the team, we were just major effing idiots since 2015.  I bet that crap shoot draft guru Doug Williams has a fantastic plan to get the next late-round gem like Brady or Carr or Prescott or Wilson or KIRK EFFING COUSINS OMG WHY WON'T THIS AMBIEN PUT ME TO SLEEP!!!

2 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Give up on our first franchise quarterback in decades for a guy who's almost done, and VASTLY overpay him in the process.  We don't have the running game to support a statue like Smith.  And then we give up a third, too?!  AND A GOD DAMNED PLAYER?!?!?!

Very reactionary prediction for the season: 5-11.  Back to the drawing board.

I can't ****ing believe this.

Staute?

Look I can understand people not being happy about this - opinions clearly vary! But have you ever seen him play? He’s very mobile.

Assuming the reporting of a 3rd, average of 23.5M/year is true, depending on “the player to be named tomorrow,” I don’t hate this.

Kirk wasn’t coming back, wanted out.  So this ends that ridiculous drama.  All the “why not just pay Kirk more” comments assume Kirk would sign. He wouldn’t have, so it’s not a viable option.

I hope they ship Reed out to KC.  He can’t stay healthy.  

For people wanting Reed to be 'player to be named', consider our apparent new QB. 

If anybody should be excited by this move it's Reed. Smith will get him 80-90 catches a year if he stays healthy. Chris Thompson better start amping up rehab to, because he will get his as well.

5 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

A lot depends on who the player is tomorrow.

Alex Smith is 33 years old by the way, I see a few people saying he is 34-35.

He's 33 this instant, but he turns 34 in May, meaning he'll be almost 34.5 years old by the time he takes his first regular season snap. So calling him 34 makes some logical sense. That's what the Redskins will be getting for next season. Sadly, it turns out McNabb was actually younger when the team traded for him. And McNabb was washed up within a year

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

Umm when you franchise him for 2 years in a row at a top 5 salary, it shows you want him.  We could have made a trade in the past 2 offsesasons but we didnt

Who's trading a first and third for him?  Seriously?

And we franchised him because we were idiots and didn't know how to buy low or recognize what we had.  This organization is just a **** show.

Just now, skinfan2k said:

No it shows that you don’t know what the hell to do with him. You don’t believe in him enough to pay him what he’s worth and you don’t have an alternative so you just kick the can down the road until next year. 

It sas was a clear sign to him that we didn’t want him. We could have had him for $25 mil and 70 guarantees last offseason but we didn’t. Now suddenly we are ok to pay Alex smith that? 

When our former pick comes up in the 3rd round in April and we're all sitting with our thumbs up our collective asses, I want all the homers who are cool with this right now to remember how they felt. Giving up a premium pick and that cheap rookie contract to save $5-6M per year and get older. So we can, what, sign another McClain or two? 

It wasn't about that. It was done because we ruined any chance to re-sign Kirk. Both in our treatment of him and in our idiotic usage of the franchise tag on a QB raising the floor on a potential contract at each stage, making him nearly impossible to justify signing. Genius.  

I actually like Smith more than most I see talking about him in this thread. For a 34 yesr old QB. We don't have the freakish talent that is Tyreek Hill so he won't throw those bombs for us, he'll revert back to captain checkdown. But in Gruden's WCO he'll be pretty good, especially if we ever get a running game. But that's not the point, this was mismanaged horribly. 

This is so clearly a panic trade to attempt to save Gruden and Allen's jobs, because we ****ed things up beyond belief with our HOMEGROWN franchise QB. We once again let talent we drafted walk in favor of giving up draft assets to pay an older player we didn't develop. Wonderful. 

All to save an amount of money that won't change our fortunes, if we were even smart enough to not waste it on the type of guys Allen usually signs.

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

You all sure.  We just traded for Kirk's replacement, plus we may draft a QB to groom. Wouldn't that wipe out the 2019 Compensatory pick?

comp picks are based on free agents signed/lost - trades and draft picks don’t count.

Archived