Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I hear this a lot but I have yet to see anything clever or unique that he’s done with regards to contracts. They don’t seem any different or special or above average compared to any other contract in the league, except that they are usually given to players that don’t deserve them 

We were able to sign BOTH Terrell McClain and Stacy McGee last year so check yourself

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

In an era when young QBs are taking the league by storm, we give up trying.

*Read in action movie trailer narrator voice. cue 3 loud shotgun shot sound effects. Blood curdling scream!  Cut to Alex Smith highlight. /end trailer

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I hear this a lot but I have yet to see anything clever or unique that he’s done with regards to contracts. They don’t seem any different or special or above average compared to any other contract in the league, except that they are usually given to players that don’t deserve them 

He's competent. More than can be said for the other doofuses in the building.

I am pleased, very pleased.  Kirk was a professional and polite to a fault thru it all but he clearly wanted out and now he'll get to pick his own team.  I am excited for him and unless he picks the Giants, the Cowboys or a perennial loser like Cleveland I plan to climb on the bandwagon with him.

I am impressed with the Skins for not dithering.  They traded for Alex Smith who can give Jay Gruden some solid QB play and chance to compete if the other selections workout.  Good look to them!

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

When our former pick comes up in the 3rd round in April and we're all sitting with our thumbs up our collective asses, I want all the homers who are cool with this right now to remember how they felt. Giving up a premium pick and that cheap rookie contract to save $5-6M per year and get older. So we can, what, sign another McClain or two? 

It wasn't about that. It was done because we ruined any chance to re-sign Kirk. Both in our treatment of him and in our idiotic usage of the franchise tag on a QB raising the floor on a potential contract at each stage, making him nearly impossible to justify signing. Genius.  

I actually like Smith more than most I see talking about him in this thread. For a 34 yesr old QB. We don't have the freakish talent that is Tyreek Hill so he won't throw those bombs for us, he'll revert back to captain checkdown. But in Gruden's WCO he'll be pretty good, especially if we ever get a running game. But that's not the point, this was mismanaged horribly. 

This is so clearly a panic trade to attempt to save Gruden and Allen's jobs, because we ****ed things up beyond belief with our HOMEGROWN franchise QB. We once again let talent we drafted walk in favor of giving up draft assets to pay an older player we didn't develop. Wonderful. 

All to save an amount of money that won't change our fortunes, if we were even smart enough to not waste it on the type of guys Allen usually signs.

All of that is fine except Kirk wasn’t signing a deal here, so you’d only have him 1 more year on either a transistion or franchise tag.

He wanted to get the hell out of here (I don’t particularly blame him) and so there wasn’t a deal he would take.

Rather than bidding on Bridgewater, Bradford or somebody else, they traded for Alex Smith. 

Do do I love it? No. Did Bruce **** this up 7 ways to Sunday?  Yep.

Might this be the best possible solution to a self induced stupid problem? Maybe. 

So with the news there seem to be two camps of fans developing:

Camp #1) it's obvious Kirk wanted to leave.  They either had to tag him, trans-tag & match, or let him walk.  

Camp #2) The front office just simply didn't want to pay Kirk.  

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.  

Waiting for some clarity on contract.  The way it is reported is a 4 year extension keeping him here for 5 years so by implication the extension kicks in for 2019 and we get him this year for the value of the last year of his existing deal.  If that is correct I am ok with the extension because we can re-sign Brown and any of our other free agents we wanted and maybe look at extending some of our key players like Brandon Scherff. 

I was firmly in the keep Kirk camp if it was possible but honestly the people slating Smith in this thread are talking garbage, he is a good starting QB in this league and is clearly still in great physical shape.  For everyone worrying about his age he is several years younger than Big Ben, Brady, Manning,Rivers, Brees etc.  He is even younger than Aaron Rodgers so please just stop with the over the hill nonsense and try to react like adults.  We have a legitimate starter under contract for 5 years, can't remember the last time we had that so again, much as I loved Kirk I am not going to **** about what is a decent alternative.

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

8 yards an attempt and 12 yards a completion last season. He was 6th in the league in deep ball attempts.

You can't be serious trying to pass Smith's 2017 stats as something permanent or that he'll be bringing with him to Washington?

Really? Those stats and his pro-bowl year have everything to do with Reid's system and the players involved in that attack, not him. 

#1 NFL offense in rush yards per attempt, #17th in passes attempted. 

Give Smith our offensive line and running attack and watch the magic unfold lol

Archived