The Jeffersons

Honorable Mentions:

Good Times

Taxi

The X-Files

Simpsons

Mary Tyler Moore

Twin Peaks

1) Miami Vice - it actually hit No #1 on the Billboard, the only TV theme to do so (I think).  Its one of the few intros I can listen to and not immediately associate it with the show (I can't even recall watching Miami Vice) 

2) The A team

3) Dallas

4) Hill Street Blues - reached #10 on the Billboard

5) Magnum PI - when I've flown into Hawaii, this theme always starts playing in my head

Guess I'm a sucker for the 80s  Mike Post is a genius

2 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

1) Miami Vice - it actually hit No #1 on the Billboard, the only TV theme to do so (I think).

"Welcome Back". Welcome Back Kotter theme hit #1 in 1976.

That's the only other #1 I've seen so far. A few hit #2.

I think all of the ones I'd nominate have already been mentioned at least once:  

Star Trek TOS

Knight Rider.  

Batman.  (Adam West.)  

Monday Night Football.  (There's been several, and I don;t like the original.  This is the one I think identifies the show)  

One I think I'd mention, by "Johny" Williams:  

There's been several mentioned that I wouldn't have nominated, and might not qualify for Top 5, but are certainly worthy, and certainly did set the right tone for their series.  (And qualify as iconic for said series.)  

Mission: Impossible.

Hawaii Five Oh.  

MASH

Cheers.  

@elkabong82I was wondering when somebody was going to pick Ducktales. :)  

I would also add Voltron in there.  The original from the 80's. The netflix reboot version is god awful. 

I think I would have to add Big Bang Theory, it's iconic at this point and sung by Barenaked Ladies.  

I guess mine would be:

Ducktales

Voltron

Cheers

Game of Thrones

The West Wing.  (This might just be because it was my favorite show for years, and I got totally excited when i heard the theme build after the cold open.  They also perfected the way to get into the theme after the cold open.  

EDIT: Surprised nobody has said Gilligan's Island.  That was awesome too.  Also going way back, Mr. Ed, Green Acres, Bewitched and Green Acres.  Which I watched on Nick at Night as a kid in the 80's.  

Oooh, good thread.

1.) Room 222 (only theme I can think of that's in 7/4 time)

2) Barney Miller (Deepest of grooves - surprised more funk and jazz groups don't cover it)

3.) Bob Newhart Show (Great use of bright, brassy horns and piano)

4.) Seinfeld (probably the first of its kind as far as having the whole thing composed and performed on a single synthesizer)

Tie for 5th:

-Bach's Brandenburg II (Third movement) - theme song from Bill Buckley's "Firing Line"

-Rimsky-Korsakov's "Procession of the Nobles" - theme song for "Agonsky & Co." and "Inside Washington"

-Scherzo from Beethoven's 9th Symphony - theme for "The Huntley-Brinkley Report"

Archived