Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are your top 5 TV theme songs?

Riggo-toni

I just can't stop listening to it.  Like, I could listen to this all day as I walk around.  

It never occurred to me to look up who made this music, but his name is Stu Phillips and he was born in 1929.  He was ALMOST SIXTY YEARS OLD WHEN HE WROTE THIS.  How does someone that old create something that ****ing good?

Look at all the TV shows he worked on.  The dude that did the Donna Reed theme song did Knight Rider.  

GL denotes a Glen Larson production, where known. Phillips was one of Larson's favorite composers.

Noting the number of people voting for shows where the music came from a different show. (I'm pointing at Star Trek TNG and Batman Animated). 

To be nominated, doesn't the music have to be . . . original?  (At least as a theme song. I've got no problem if somebody takes a song that wasn't used as a theme, and uses it that way.)

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

Noting the number of people voting for shows where the music came from a different show. (I'm pointing at Star Trek TNG and Batman Animated). 

To be nominated, doesn't the music have to be . . . original?  (At least as a theme song. I've got no problem if somebody takes a song that wasn't used as a theme, and uses it that way.)

Could you explain further?  Where did the Star Trek TNG theme and Batman Animated series themes originate if not those shows? 

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Could you explain further?  Where did the Star Trek TNG theme and Batman Animated series themes originate if not those shows? 

Uh, the music used for TNG was the theme from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. 

The Batman Animated theme is from the Michael Keaton Batman. 

Since both of them were used, not only previously, but for previous uses of the same franchise, I find it hard to believe that you're not aware of this. So I'm wondering whether your pretending ignorance is a lead-in to "Hah!  Those previous versions were not note-for-note identical!", or "Hah!  Those previous versions were movies!  Therefore they don't count as previous use!" But I'll act like I think your question was actually honest. 

14 hours ago, Larry said:

Uh, the music used for TNG was the theme from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. 

The Batman Animated theme is from the Michael Keaton Batman. 

Since both of them were used, not only previously, but for previous uses of the same franchise, I find it hard to believe that you're not aware of this. So I'm wondering whether your pretending ignorance is a lead-in to "Hah!  Those previous versions were not note-for-note identical!", or "Hah!  Those previous versions were movies!  Therefore they don't count as previous use!" But I'll act like I think your question was actually honest. 

Hmm, I thought I'd remembered the TNG theme used in one of the movies, but I didn't see it when I did a quick google on the theme.  As for Batman, are you sure it's from the movies?  The movies and Animated Series both had themes by Danny Elfman, sure, but I thought the cartoon had its own composition.

On 7/21/2017 at 3:56 PM, JCB said:

So many great choices. I'll go with:

The Flintstones

The Munsters

Sanford & Son

Barney Miller

The Jeffersons

Honorable Mentions:

Good Times

Taxi

The X-Files

Simpsons

Mary Tyler Moore

Twin Peaks

Wow, it took until page two for somebody to list Taxi. That, Cheers, and Hawaii-Five O are probably the most recognizable for folks over 40.

Archived